Best integrated for under $20K

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
integrated

That will be able to drive tough loads (low impedances and sensitivity).
The likes of Gryphon, Pass come to mind.
Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Could we think back only ten years, and maybe go to Germany, where integrateds were always high on the list:

The uncrowned king was Accuphase against which the formidable German ASR (formerly Schäfer & Romp) would contend, and maybe the fancy looking Burmester (I never liked them, so cannot judge).

I loved the Accuphase E 530 and the 550, which I only let go in favour of Berning amplification.

If you need that much power (I always thought that 30W should be able to drive anything, otherwise there is something wrong with the speakers)
I would therefore recommend anything from the Accuphase 4 range, starting from the 405V to the 450, where they changed the design. Current nomination is the E470.
You even save some pennies (not too many) to include the DAC slot.
Otherwise go with ASR.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I would therefore recommend anything from the Accuphase 4 range, starting from the 405V to the 450, where they changed the design. Current nomination is the E470.
Thanks! I'll look into the Accuphase range.

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
It was mentioned first on page one, but have you considered a gander at the Gryphon Diablo? Know nothing about its latest guise but the original was simply musical and very capable. Their design aesthetics are to be admired as well. Save you a LOT of change from 20k if you found a pristine 2nd hander. Anyway, all the best in your search, quite a budget for an integrated; it's sure to be wow.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
The Diablo 300 is €15K new here in Europe.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Had a chance to listen to the devialet 250, if you do not use its dac you miss the whole point, and frankly I was not too fond of its dac.

Ayre is interesting also Dartzeel (although no local distributor...), thanks!

No love for the Diablo 300? Pass INT 250?
The Dart integrated is $20K and 208 wpc.

The Dart "Danalog" (streaming power Dac) is 200wpc and only $14K. LHB-408 is the model number I think. PCM to 384 and DSD to 128.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
For best integrateds, don't forget to take a look at the new Esoteric integrated which definitely hit the sound, performance and I believe also price marks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When the price is this high you are essentially asking what is the best amplification. I see no reason to shoehorn an amp and preamp in the same box. Even less reason to share a power supply.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
When the price is this high you are essentially asking what is the best amplification. I see no reason to shoehorn an amp and preamp in the same box. Even less reason to share a power supply.

It may not be true in every case, but for many of these integrated amps the preamp is bare bones, often one very simple gain stage combined with switching and buffering. Really more just a basic power amplifier with lower input sensitivity and a volume control, no real strain on the chassis or power supply.

restock

Nov 12, 2016
Toronto, Canada
You even save some pennies (not too many) to include the DAC slot.

I second the suggestion for Accuphase integrated amps - in addition to the E470 I would add the E600 Class A amp to the list. While it does not have the max. output power of the E470 it is extremely stable into 2 and even 1 Ohm loads with power still doubling to 120W into 2 Ohm. I moved to the Accuphase from a top of the line Shindo separates (Giscours, Cortese) combo....

Also the recommendation for the DAC and Phono card are solid, both are excellent. While not at the level of the DC37 and C37, they are still excellent.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

It depends. Dartzeel uses a second transformer just for the preamp section.

Many have sold separates for the Dart CTH.

DAG

Jan 7, 2017
UK
Mark levinson 585, Bryston 135,Pass labs I250 comes to mind. And save some cash :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,

Lavardin IT, one of best Transistor amps i ever heard liquid clean sound
Optional Great Phono MM stage with Sut a Bargain.
Unison S9 pure power with great Svetlana 572 one of best Triode tubes.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Hello,

Lavardin IT, one of best Transistor amps i ever heard liquid clean sound
Optional Great Phono MM stage with Sut a Bargain.
Unison S9 pure power with great Svetlana 572 one of best Triode tubes.
I think you mis-read my request.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,

right i had no read your First Request...sorry.
Ok it is not my Cup of Tea with low efficiency Speakers play music....

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
Technical Brain integrated is special. I finally heard one today and the transparancy is breathtaking.
If your in the market for a Integrated and able to listen to one of these do yourself a favour!

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
there are always great masters unheard of..

Technical Brain integrated is special. I finally heard one today and the transparancy is breathtaking.
If your in the market for a Integrated and able to listen to one of these do yourself a favour!

..but regarding the TB integrated, it's all a bit "coming soon". Did you hear it, and if so, are you in any way affiliated to them?
thanks for claryfying.

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
I am not affiliated with anyone.
I heard the TB integrated through the Australian distributor. Heard the TB mono/pre as well and the Integrated has a whole lot of its DNA for a lot less money.
Don't be fooled by the specs. It has plenty of power and I'm seriously considering for myself.

Bobbi

Mar 5, 2016
There was some other seriously ultra high end gear we listened to and the TB Int more than held its own.
Made me rethink the need for separates.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
From my personal experience, the 3 best amps I have tried on my Magico S5s are:

- Vitus SIA-25;
- Vitus SS101;
- Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated.

The SIA-25 may not have enough power depending how loud you listen, what kind of music and how big is your room. The midrange and palpability of the sound is glorious.

The Vitus SS-101, which you can get for ~17k EUR s/h, will get you covered in most cases. Similar mids, but more more power and bass slam.

The Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated was the best, but also by far the most expensive (55k EUR used, but there is one from a dealer in Cyprus listed on AgoN for 24k EUR). The Dan D'Agostino Momentum integrated does all for me - it has great bass slam, resolution, soundstaging, but also very full and palpable midrange. I believe it can equal any 50k pre/power combination in terms of sonics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing