Beolab 90

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Any thoughts or direct experience with this particular speaker unit?

It appears to be quite appealing to a certain audiophile.

1. Multiple amps that control each woofer/driver. Meaning that even an active cross over with amps powering the lows and highs would not be as effective.
2. No need for a DAC, preamp, or amp - savings right there.
3. No need for speaker wire or quality XLR.... everything is direct connect.
4. Great extension, down to 10hz.
5. Active room correction.
6. Multi-beam technology.

Cons:
1. Can't tweak it to your liking.
2. B&O brand? Style over substance?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I have heard this speaker. I was impressed.

The good:

- it has an open sound with an impressively wide sound stage and a sweet spot that can be enjoyed over a large area. Think MBL 101E.
- dynamics are very good, explosive even.
- it sounds impressively clean
- the whole spectrum of the frequency response is there, and it sounds linear. Bass is not overblown, it does not sound "hot". It is really linear.

The bad:

- the tone is on the dry and analytical side. A bit too dry for me.
- unlike the MBL 101E, which has a really easy sound to listen to (the sound of that speaker seems to be very relaxing!), the B&O made me feel constantly fidgety.
- digital input only. Analog input will be converted to digital at a cost to resolution.
- the looks and the price.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing