Questions for all digital setup owners that don't have a dedicated pre amp in their system

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Hello All,

I'm considering going to a simple all digital digital system. My goal and hope is to use a DAC to drive the amplifier(s). Without going into what DAC and or Amplifiers to audition/purchase. Generally speaking has anyone here done the same and been happy in the long term? Or did you end up adding a pre amp to your system after all? In addition, what "technical" considerations do I need to keep in my when pursuing this option. Or is just a matter of subjective trial and error? Finding the DAC(with pre amp function)and amplifier that sounds the best to me?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I always prefer a preamp in the chain. That's my opinion. DAC direct, in my opinion, seems great at first, but over the long term the perceived added detail and cleaner, seemingly more open sound stage gets tiring. If you have a DAC good enough, there is no harm in trying it, but I love what a preamp does to the sound, especially a good/great preamp.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I always prefer a preamp in the chain. That's my opinion. DAC direct, in my opinion, seems great at first, but over the long term the perceived added detail and cleaner, seemingly more open sound stage gets tiring. If you have a DAC good enough, there is no harm in trying it, but I love what a preamp does to the sound, especially a good/great preamp.

I think as system refinement climbs over time, what a first rate preamp does becomes more significant.

at moderate levels of system performance where cables and other parts of the signal path are relatively compromised, removing them yields a net gain of going direct. but fix those restrictions and the better preamps just allow for more music to come through.

everything matters, both positive and negative.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. I was having great hope in the Vivaldi DAC as it has high drive capability, very low output impedance and remote switchable 6, 2, .6 or .2V output level, but I am always finding that the preamplifier improves the sound. So far I have tried DartZeel , ARC, and cj (tube and solid state) equipment.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mdp632,

I have such a system. Three weeks ago, an MB signature sc was installed. I think I will be happy with this set-up over the long term.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Give it a try without,but in my experience a great preamp adds a vitality and the necessary punch to music. Also a degree of realism that only a preamp can.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Thanks everyone. What should I pay attention to in pairing a DAC and Amplifier. In specific, output impedance of the DAC and relative to the input of the amplifier. How important is this and what should I be looking for?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks everyone. What should I pay attention to in pairing a DAC and Amplifier. In specific, output impedance of the DAC and relative to the input of the amplifier. How important is this and what should I be looking for?

Impedance is debatably important for choosing equipment layout (cable length). I think one should also look at the DAC's output voltage vis-a-vis the amplifier's input sensitivity. If the output is say 2V and the Input sensitivity is over that you'll never get to full power. Seems a waste not to take full advantage of the dynamic range potential.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Impedance is debatably important for choosing equipment layout (cable length). I think one should also look at the DAC's output voltage vis-a-vis the amplifier's input sensitivity. If the output is say 2V and the Input sensitivity is over that you'll never get to full power. Seems a waste not to take full advantage of the dynamic range potential.

Matching a DAC directly to an amplifier needs careful planing. We need to consider the amplifier gain, the efficiency of the speakers and the room gain.

The key is having maximum output voltage high enough as you say, but not more. Most DACs control volume digitally and when you decrease volume you are loosing resolution. The sound levels in recordings vary a lot - for example, in order to listen to Harmonia Mundi "La Folia" I had to use a high output setting.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is not only a question of impedance ratios - it is also related do the topology of the output stage and the capability of supplying signal current without changes in sound quality. We have examples of excellent sounding systems having equal input and output impedance (the 600 ohm professional, also used in consumer electronics) and driving a 1 megaohm input with a 100 ohm output impedance.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
on the Sound Galleries Music team, we own a Bespoke TVC, and I have heard the Bespoke TVC in 4 different systems with different DAC's. In each system the Bespoke has delivered positive improvement in tonal density with no loss of transparency.

It's expensive for a passive TVC, but it's performance puts many well regarded active preamps to shame. The Bespoke delivers very good performance for the price IMHO

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I used a Accuphase cd player straight into an amp. Volume control was done by varying the output control of the cd player. The problem should be obvious
Adding a line stage was a significant improvement.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used a Accuphase cd player straight into an amp. Volume control was done by varying the output control of the cd player. The problem should be obvious

I had a DP78 for years. I think you can spy it in my older system threads. You and I have the same conclusions.

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
...Volume control was done by varying the output control of the cd player. The problem should be obvious

What problem should be obvious?

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

+1

This is a must. The idea of the best pre being no pre is all in theory.

There are so very few designers that are looking to build an incredibly robust stage into the DAC. Even if you get a very high output cd player or DAC that has enough voltage to drive the amplifier just solves the issue of the full bandwidth out of the amplifier. It doesn't ever guarantee that the sound quality of that output is going to be better than a stand alone pre and almost never is.

Microstrips point of careful planning is very good advice, but in 90% of the cases a pre is always a good thing.

Although if you are looking to have a DAC with enough voltage and output design to drive your systems without a pre I would recommend taking a look at the Kassandra DAC

Aries Cerat Kassandra MKii

At 120lbs, it not only has the voltage to drive any amplifier without a preamp, but its analog stage is designed to surpass any on the market.

pkane

Jan 6, 2017
I'm considering going to a simple all digital digital system. My goal and hope is to use a DAC to drive the amplifier(s). Without going into what DAC and or Amplifiers to audition/purchase. Generally speaking has anyone here done the same and been happy in the long term? Or did you end up adding a pre amp to your system after all? In addition, what "technical" considerations do I need to keep in my when pursuing this option. Or is just a matter of subjective trial and error? Finding the DAC(with pre amp function)and amplifier that sounds the best to me?

Seems like I may be the only one here, but I much prefer a well-designed DAC with a properly implemented volume control going directly into the power amp. I've spent many years fine tuning systems, trying out all sorts of preamps, including tube, etc. My experience has been that a preamp nearly always adds something to the signal. The result is often less transparent, less airy, sometimes with colorations.

I just finished putting together a system out of old components I had on-hand, using Camelot Technology Uther 2.0 DAC feeding directly into Pass Aleph 1.2 mono blocks. With Uther passive, analog-domain volume control the system is simply delicious ;)! Sound stage, airiness and transparency are incredible for a bunch of components that are nearly 20 years old.

Sometimes a preamp can help compensate for issues in the rest of the system, such as impedance mismatch, grounding issues, or deficiencies in frequency response. Absent these, a direct DAC to amp connection is a much simpler (and less costly) solution that does not introduce additional components into the signal path. At least that's what I've found :)

-Paul

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
So in the end, try your system with and without a preamp. Then decide what you like better. It's obvious to me that I prefer a preamp, especially a great one. Heck, I'd take a nice passive preamp (like my Wyred STP-SE) to no preamp at all. All that matters is that you love what you hear from your own system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing