Marry Christmas with our new master tapes release !

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Open Reel.JPG

Here is the new Classical Series Reel. Very nice. The back side has a comment on it also. Just listened to the Debussy Nocturnes tape. Even better sonics than the Brahms - a bit more close up in perspective. The Debussy Nocturnes include the Sirenes third movement, which is often omitted in recordings, since it requires a full female chorus in addition to the orchestra. The tape shows the great dynamic range in the piece, from the quiet first movement to the boisterous second and back to the atmospheric third with its wordless choir. The Czechs did some fine recordings in the '60's. Unfortunately, the Supraphon label often had somewhat noisy vinyl. So these tapes show how good the sound can be. I hope they can find some of Ivan Moravec's recordings - he's one of my favorite pianists. We heard him in the Rudofinum Concert Hall in Prague about 20 years ago.

Larry

OpenReelRecords

Feb 22, 2015
BTW, for the Open Reel people - at the very end of the Brahms tape there are two test tones - one at 1K and the other at 10K (I believe). Not sure whether there are test tones at the end of your other tapes. The 10K tone is quite low in volume.

Sure Larry, the test tones are at the end of the tape for a rough check ... or even a calibration if you want to setup for our tapes ;-) The 1KHz tone is at +0db and the 10KHz one at +10db as per instruction that come with the tape box.

The 10KHz is at -10db to not saturate and Leif is right ... the tones are on tail for practical reason and because not all the people like on the tape head before the music ;-)

test tone at end of mine too.......guess with tails out storage, you can get test tones first....

By the way thanks for all the comments to the new tapes from Classical on Tape, a very interesting and precious archive series !

toni.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Sure Larry, the test tones are at the end of the tape for a rough check ... or even a calibration if you want to setup for our tapes ;-) The 1KHz tone is at +0db and the 10KHz one at +10db as per instruction that come with the tape box.

The 10KHz is at -10db to not saturate and Leif is right ... the tones are on tail for practical reason and because not all the people like on the tape head before the music ;-)

By the way thanks for all the comments to the new tapes from Classical on Tape, a very interesting and precious archive series !

View attachment 30490

Thanks, for some reason I didn't see the calibration test tone information. Glad to know about the -10db difference in the 10KhZ test tone! It is much easier to do the adjustments before rewinding the tape. Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing