Zanden Audio: Launches New Reference Preamplifier - 3000 Mk 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We can not forget price - the Thesonusfaber (official name of the Fenice) costs significantly less than XLF. Four years ago I have answered the Fenice, http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?13676-If-Money-and-and-Real-Estate-weren-t-a-concern-what-Speaker-would-you-select&p=249074&viewfull=1#post249074. However having had a large experience with both along several years, IMHO the XLF is a better speaker, although the scale and dynamics of the Fenice are impressive. A good friend listened to them playing rock with six Devialet in monoblock and said it was the closest to being 30 feet from stage at a rock convert in a stadium he has experienced.

IMHO you need at less 5.5 meter room width for them and probably around 8-9 meter length.

Got it. Thank you. I had guessed as much in regards to XLF. I suspect the XLF also fares better in tighter dimensions than the Fenice based on your recommendation above.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But remember Lloyd , choosing loudspeakers is a personal thing, much more so imo then amps and sources , you cant just go blind after what somebody else finds , listen yourself is better.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
But remember Lloyd , choosing loudspeakers is a personal thing, much more so imo then amps and sources , you cant just go blind after what somebody else finds , listen yourself is better.

Agree...owning the X1s, having spent many, many hours with the X2 s1 and s2 and also with the XLF...i have a pretty good sense of those. We always have to do our due diligence, but often we must also be led by instinct to some extent when we cannot always audition. In this case, while i cannot speak about Fenice, I certainly know I would not mind having a pair of XLFs at home!

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Have you ever paired a 3000Mk2 with solid state amps and long cabling? Is there any issue with the output impedance or ist the output strong enough?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Have heard the 3000mk2 with Spectral, Karan (ASI) and Lamm power amps with 3-5m long interconnects and didn’t detect any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing