Zanden Audio: Launches New Reference Preamplifier - 3000 Mk 2

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/zanden-launches-new-reference-preamplifier/

zanden_3000mk2.png.648x460_q85.jpg

Osaka, Japan | December 23, 2016 - Zanden Audio is excited to announce the launch of our new model 3000mk2 preamplifier at CES 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

It replaces the current model 3000 preamplifier in the Classic Series and includes a number of crucial improvements. Input and output transformers have been replaced with amorphous cobalt ones. The tube rectified power supply has been completely redesigned. Zanden has also retained ALPS highest quality analog potentiometer while successfully implementing a unique motor drive system to achieve remote volume control. The model 3000mk2 includes a full function remote which controls power, volume, switching of sources, absolute or reverse polarity and a mute function.

Be sure to visit us in the Venetian Suite 29-312 from January 5th to the 8th and experience the completely redesigned Zanden model 3000mk2. The playback system will include our model 9600mk2 mono block amplifiers and 1200mk3 phono stage. We will demonstrate an all analog playback system, including Kharma dB-9S speakers and a Grand Prix Audio Monaco turntable. You will hear how far we have closed the gap between live music and recorded music.

Zanden Audio Systems, Ltd., is a privately held company based in Osaka, Japan. It was established in 1990 by Kazutoshi Yamada for the purpose of closing the gap between live music and recorded music which he became keenly aware of as a concert coordinator for over 500 live events. Zanden is both a manufacturer of hi-end audio equipment and continues to be active in the recording of live music. Over the years their products have received numerous awards and wide acclaim for their sonic virtues. They are distributed in over 15 countries with many more local dealers.

MODEL 3000MK2 PREAMPLIFIER FEATURES

Inputs (pair): 2) RCA, (2) XLR
Dimensions: 398mm(W)X103mm(H)X254mm(D) [main]
Outputs (pair): (2) RCA, (2) XLR 155mm(W)X165mm(H)X355mm(D) [power]
Tube Compliment: (1) 5687, (2) 6CA4
Weight: 9kg [main], 5.5kg [power]

Eric Pheils
Zanden Audio Systems, Ltd.
http://www.zandenaudio.com/
eric@zanden-usa.com
+81 (80) 5711-5884

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That will potentially be the best set up or at least one of the best at CES , zanden and kharma .

For the technicians , what exactly is an amorphous core in a transformer , i read cat JL 5 has one and now zanden what is the benefit ??

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, they have less eddy current and hysteresis losses. If they're sized right they should sound good.

Here's some more information.

Sadly I think ALP's suck... I wouldn't be looking forward to this unit. Sure has looks though.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In ls filters we can luckily use air core , i had a zanden 7000 ( 300 B) myself with a high quality alps , this unit ( 3000 ) doesnt suck i heard the mk 1 version on several occasions , together with 9600s possibly the best amps out there and with the 1200 phono on good speakers/ turntable i promise you , you re in for a treat ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm sure they can make nice products, but they've got a bottleneck using ALPs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
i did the scrolling :D

To write about it even further. Let me be a bit provocative and urge you to open some of the highly acclaimed preamplifier in the 20-30.000 $ price range at taker a closer look in the volume potentiometer. Many of those so-called state of the art product use standard cheap ALPS blue potentiometer. We all know how much those cost. You can say, that the end result matter. Yes, right, but how come that for example Kondo Audio Note Japan and few others still goes the long way and use ALPS RK 50. This one alone costs whooping 700 eur.

Now let us come back to Robert Koda K-10 volume attenuator. Custom carbon based resistor made especially for high-end audio. Does this catch your attention? Now only two of those are used at the time of signal passing through and all the resistors are hand trimmed down for the exact tight tolerances. Now imagine how much this single module cost is compared to those ALPS or Bourns used in some of highly claimed and even highly priced state of the art preamplifiers

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I used to own a Nagra PLL. It had a alps pot in it. I thought it sounded fantastic. Until the Koda K10 came by for a demo and subsequent purchase. While the K10 is clearly better (at 3x the price) it wasn't 3x better...I think in the right set up, the alps pots can sound really good. Nagra is still using them...I'll get to hear the new Classic Preamp soon right next to my K10.

Zanden is pretty good stuff...I am sure they can use whatever they think sounds good.

I do have to agree, the K10 volume control is a serious affair. The K15 is even better...

K10 volume control:

Untitled.jpeg

K15 volume control:

Untitled2.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i did the scrolling :D

(...) Many of those so-called state of the art product use standard cheap ALPS blue potentiometer. We all know how much those cost. You can say, that the end result matter. Yes, right, but how come that for example Kondo Audio Note Japan and few others still goes the long way and use ALPS RK 50. This one alone costs whooping 700 eur.

Now let us come back to Robert Koda K-10 volume attenuator. Custom carbon based resistor made especially for high-end audio. Does this catch your attention? Now only two of those are used at the time of signal passing through and all the resistors are hand trimmed down for the exact tight tolerances. Now imagine how much this single module cost is compared to those ALPS or Bourns used in some of highly claimed and even highly priced state of the art preamplifiers (...)

I have commented before on this abused quote from MonoandStereo and I will just comment on the bold section. If the preamplfiers using these standard cheap ALPS blue potentiometer sounded SOTA - probable it is why they were called so - this only means that it is possible to design SOTA products using them. We should them congratulate the designers - they chose to spend their budget elsewhere.

Do you know about the guy who looked at an excellent sounding SS amplfier and only said "Can you imagine how this great sounding solid state amplifier would sound if the designer used tubes in place of the transistors?":D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Koda's new unit is very appealing. There are some very good stepped attenuators. The downfall is that they don't typically have remotes.

The RK50 is NOT a "blue". The Blue Velvet is found in essentially everything. Almost no one uses the RK50, and some manufacturers quit using it due to problems. None are bad, but the quality with other things is so much better than I don't condone them personally. For me it's a simple situation, if I ever own any equipment with them I just swap them out myself :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I quote microstrip here and i think its very true , off course mr yamada knows off any high quality volume control in the bizz and had probably tried it , he on the other hand might have spend a lot of $$ on parts the competition finds neglible .

----this only means that it is possible to design SOTA products using them. We should them congratulate the designers - they chose to spend their budget elsewhere-----

i can give an example of my own speakerdesign choices , i could stuff them full with high quality synthetic diamond mids/ tw from accuton( ultra light/ ultra stiff/ perfect piston ,...) which cost a fortune and say its the best sounding or use other units which imo sound better and spend the money on the housing

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Now whos gonna say mr yamada doesnt compare his gear , he compares it to the real event what about that for a change , great write up by 6 moons so true

http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/zanden/zanden.html

Before the show began, Jlam commented on how to the local high-end community, perceived brand prestige and high second-hand values are more important than actual sound quality. Audiophiles simply equate resale value with good sound, responding to peer pressure from the majority of HiFi media which hypnotize their readers with the prestige of ownership in the absence of true music knowledge and a more objective system of evaluation. We don't believe this is a healthy development and many who attended nodded their heads in quiet agreement. One hopes that we can use high-end audio as a platform to elevate the importance of musical culture here in Hong Kong. Let the show begin!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I am guilty lol :eek::

Perhaps the most exciting part to audiophile sensibilities of that day was the demonstration of Argento's Serenity Master Reference power cord by Marvel -- another well-known Hong Kong audiophile -- in tandem with the Zanden DAC. The improvement was beyond anyone's wildest imagination. One could tell this easily from the facial expressions of the three musicians. In their exact word, the enrichment of harmonic decay along with a dramatic improvement in transparency narrowed the gap between live music and reproduced sound even more. The tonality of the recorded Spanish guitar used by Mr. So was getting closer yet to the live experience after the Zanden DAC was connected to the SMR power cord.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Let’s return to the theme of this thread for a second.:) Some time ago I wrote in another thread about my friend who had Zanden 3000 and conrad-johnson GAT preamps and he prefered the sound of GAT, mainly because of a slight metalic coloration of Zanden. I made such comparison too and didn’t agree with him. My experiences were that the GAT had more authoritative bass, bigger sounstage and was dynamically superior but the Zanden was sooooo refined and timbraly more neutral.

A few years latter GAT S2 came and now Zanden 3000 Mk2 is also available. I upgraded my GAT to S2 status as did my friend but he also bought the new 3000 Mk2. So, I was very interested in his thoughts, can Zanden match the substantial sonic improvement of cj S2 upgrade? His answer to my question, how do they compare now was: “I don’t feel the need to listen to the GAT S2 any more”... I didn’t expect such final and determined answer but I’m sure Yamada san did some remarkable design improvements besides new finemet transformers.

I intend to visit my friend in a not to distant future and will report my findings. Stay tuned.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Let’s return to the theme of this thread for a second.:) Some time ago I wrote in another thread about my friend who had Zanden 3000 and conrad-johnson GAT preamps and he prefered the sound of GAT, mainly because of a slight metalic coloration of Zanden. I made such comparison too and didn’t agree with him. My experiences were that the GAT had more authoritative bass, bigger sounstage and was dynamically superior but the Zanden was sooooo refined and timbraly more neutral.

A few years latter GAT S2 came and now Zanden 3000 Mk2 is also available. I upgraded my GAT to S2 status as did my friend but he also bought the new 3000 Mk2. So, I was very interested in his thoughts, can Zanden match the substantial sonic improvement of cj S2 upgrade? His answer to my question, how do they compare now was: “I don’t feel the need to listen to the GAT S2 any more”... I didn’t expect such final and determined answer but I’m sure Yamada san did some remarkable design improvements besides new finemet transformers.

I intend to visit my friend in a not to distant future and will report my findings. Stay tuned.

I will say...i have heard much the same commentary about Zanden 3000 vs GAT. And I too know the improvement to GAT 2. So it is with great interest I hear about your comments on Zanden 3000 mk2...please do share any more detail if you can. And definitely post your own observations!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am guilty lol :eek::

Perhaps the most exciting part to audiophile sensibilities of that day was the demonstration of Argento's Serenity Master Reference power cord by Marvel -- another well-known Hong Kong audiophile -- in tandem with the Zanden DAC. The improvement was beyond anyone's wildest imagination. One could tell this easily from the facial expressions of the three musicians. In their exact word, the enrichment of harmonic decay along with a dramatic improvement in transparency narrowed the gap between live music and reproduced sound even more. The tonality of the recorded Spanish guitar used by Mr. So was getting closer yet to the live experience after the Zanden DAC was connected to the SMR power cord.

Hi Andromeda,

I would love to learn more about our views on Argento Serenity and Flow power cables. Do you still favor them over others with respect to Zanden...or generally? Given how many people have found favor with Argento and Zanden (although admittedly, the AE crowd makes up a huge proponent of that), I would appreciate your insights here.

- LL21

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi loyd , i ll have to disappoint you on that , my comment " im guilty " refers to the fact im not a cable guy , (i use teflon coated multistrand copper in my designs incl my speaker cables thats it) , i dont think i ve ever heard argento cables, although i ve heard a lot of very thick high end cables and big powersupply installations
My comment was just because i was somewhat astounded , that in a good test like they did , comparing live music to electronic reproduction the power cords did seem to make a difference .
Not that im gonna buy one .
I m happy with my sound im not a tweaker sorry , may be im not an audiophile at all.;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi loyd , i ll hqve to disappoint you on thqt , my comment " im guilty " refers to the fqct im not a cable guy , i use teflon coated multistrand copper in my designs incl my sperqker cqbles thqts it , i dont think i ve ever heard argento cables.
My comment was just because i was somewhat astounded , thqt in a good test like they did , comparing live music to electronic reproduction the power cords did seem to mqke a difference .
Not that im gonna buy one .
I m happy with my sound im not a tweaker sorry , may be im not an audiophile at all.;)

ahhh...that is clear. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing