Tascam 122MKIII Transport Problem

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I have a Tascam 122MKIII which had a bad idler tire. I replaced it, but now I'm having a problem. When I attempt to play a tape it plays for a few seconds then stops. It also does this in FFW and REW, each moves for a second or two then stops. The tape isn't bound up, but free and easy to move. Is there a tape motion sensor I may be dealing with? Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would say it's either a tape motion sensor or a tape tension sensor. Sorry, but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Bruce is correct. You have a motion-sense problem. Under each reel hub are two optical light gates that generate voltages when the hub turns. You can check those voltages with a scope or a DMM. See service manual for test points. Also possible you broke a wire to the sensors when servicing the deck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing