Australian wall power outlets

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
That looks like a temporary industrial generator normally used on large building projects. Anyway, I hope you might gain some insight from my previous post which took about an hour.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
John, you're certainly going about your build in the right way. A dedicated 20a circuit with higher grade conduit is a good starting point. There are several options for audiophile-grade in-wall cable from moderate/affordable such as Akiko Audio's Installation cable and German 20a Fuse cartridges to more premium/expensive options like Gigawatt's In-wall cable and circuit breakers.

Also, does your house run on stable battery power? My friend uses the excellent Australian Selectronic power management inverters and Simpliphi mil-spec non-toxic battery storage and achieves quiet, stable power comparable to a high end balanced isolation transformer or regen such as a Stromtank. From there, he just uses pc's re-terminated with Furutech AU-spec connectors into a Gigawatt power strip and voila! Cheaper mass-market Inverters are horrid and dirty up the sound.

Apropos the above, my favorite balanced iso transformer is probably Equi-tech. Though Torus Power are also very good & better value. And as far as regens go, the PS Audio P20 is good value, but unncessary if you're running off optimally managed battery storage. Dito for balanced iso transformers.

As far as audiophile-grade wpo's go, that is a conundrum. No company that I know of makes compliant audiophile-grade wpo's, though you could use a high quality 25a twin wpo such as this, then re-terminate the critical pc from wall to power strip with an AU-spec power connector as I described above.

Finally don't forget about proper single-pointed grounding for your system. That will have have a bigger impact on the sound compared to the power running from the wall to your components. I personally like Entreq grounding products which are good value & work well. Phew! Hope that helps!

G’day Bodhi
Thanks this solid bulk of information.
I’m going through it it piece by piece.
John

Reactions: Bodhi

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Bodhi
Thanks again for your thoughtful reply. I’m aware of the Frank power options in Malaysia and other suppliers similar to those you’ve made here.
I gather you adopt international standards (euphemism) rather than stick with Australian standards. And have some resources to secure installation.
I remain conflicted at this time.
I still don’t have an effective supply shield from the main to the sub. And there are no Furutech standard wall gpo’s in Australia. It seems they’ve done a really good job of blind-siding alternatives.
At best I can install great cable to a clipsal piece and take off from there.
Rant done.
I’m not planning to use battery, not preferring it in audio.
In my villa I run fully shielded Furman and Richard Grey Power Company units as well as fully shielded cables. And both USA and Saudi (UK) connectors and (110/220) power supplies.
Replacing the power board, switches, ELCB/Fuses does not seem realistic here in Australia.
John

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
YW John. Yes let's just say that I am a fan of the Furutech GTX-D(g) wpo and US power connectors which I find to be superior to AU-spec offerings ;). But I wouldn't get too carried away with the importance of the wpo's in the context of the overall power and grounding schematic of your room. A good balanced isolation transformer as mentioned can provide a good shield and stable power to your listening room; Torus and Equi-Tech being two good examples. These guys are also worth a look. I am not familiar with your mentioned Furman and Richard Grey products.
Clipsal's wpo's are ok, though I would also look at the 20a twin wpo's from Legrand as they have a wide range & look high quality.

Personally, If I were building a dedicated treated listening room, based on my experience with my friend's system, I would go with a flagship Selectronic power management system/inverter, Simpliphi mil-spec batteries, LG high efficiency solar pv array, a dedicated 20a circuit into my listening room using likely Gigawatt in-wall cable & breakers, Legrand or similar 20a compliant wpo's alongside ;) on a separate circuit & Entreq grounding. But not exactly cheap.

Reactions: John57

all2ofme

Aug 17, 2018
YW John. Yes let's just say that I am a fan of the Furutech GTX-D(g) wpo and US power connectors which I find to be superior to AU-spec offerings ;). But I wouldn't get too carried away with the importance of the wpo's in the context of the overall power and grounding schematic of your room. A good balanced isolation transformer as mentioned can provide a good shield and stable power to your listening room; Torus and Equi-Tech being two good examples. These guys are also worth a look. I am not familiar with your mentioned Furman and Richard Grey products.
Clipsal's wpo's are ok, though I would also look at the 20a twin wpo's from Legrand as they have a wide range & look high quality.

Personally, If I were building a dedicated treated listening room, based on my experience with my friend's system, I would go with a flagship Selectronic power management system/inverter, Simpliphi mil-spec batteries, LG high efficiency solar pv array, a dedicated 20a circuit into my listening room using likely Gigawatt in-wall cable & breakers, Legrand or similar 20a compliant wpo's alongside ;) on a separate circuit & Entreq grounding. But not exactly cheap.
Any specific Legrand outlets? They — and Clipsal — do an abysmal job of explaining their range…rough that they outsourced it to you :p

Last edited:
Reactions: fizzletop

tasadam

Mar 3, 2023
I had a dedicated power install done yesterday, included a new switch box with all new RCDs, and a dedicated 6mm power circuit to the hifi gear.
I’m in Tasmania.
Electrician said it’s the first time he’s done 6mm in a household environment. I’m cool with that.
The electrician supplied the standard Clipsal GPO’s.
It does seem better quality ones are hard to find, perhaps the Clipsal ones are adequate.
Maybe there is something medical grade?
Anyway, things do seem to sound more “precise”. Even wife has noticed, so that’s a win.

IMG_3936.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing