Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I enjoyed the mini review (mostly a description) - but why not disclose the rest of the system, or did I miss it

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It makes me wonder when the review was written. He writes that the M "could" replace the Q line. Wolf announced that it would in a recent interview. I love to read Magico reviews, but this one was not very informative and seemed kind of rushed, IMO - more like a brief impression of the speakers' potential.

I agree with ack that it was mostly a description, though not a very detailed one, and no, there was no system or room context described. These speakers should be shown in some kind of context because isolated photographs from the Magico photo studio don't give the speaker a sense of scale. These look rather large, though I've been told they are similar to the Q3 is size, which look pretty small in a room and next to a standing adult. One should visit the Magico Facebook page to see images of these in rooms.

Al, nice comment about the M Pro's lack of distortion. It is indeed remarkable, and they clearly present any differences that MadFloyd introduced with upstream changes.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
The review also contained false information about graphene. It was not invented 12 years ago and it is easy to source. Sometimes, the reviewers should do a quick check with Wiki before making such statements especially they are not experts on materials.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The review also contained false information about graphene. It was not invented 12 years ago and it is easy to source. Sometimes, the reviewers should do a quick check with Wiki before making such statements especially they are not experts on materials.

FWIW, there is a lot of truth to what he wrote, and in fact, graphene is technically older than that; from the wikipedia page

One of the very first patents pertaining to the production of graphene was filed in October 2002 and granted in 2006 (US Pat. 7071258).[SUP][38][/SUP] Titled, "Nano-scaled Graphene Plates," this patent detailed one of the very first large scale graphene production processes. Two years later, in 2004 Andre Geim and Kostya Novoselov at The University of Manchester extracted single-atom-thick crystallites from bulk graphite.[SUP][7][/SUP] They pulled graphene layers from graphite and transferred them onto thin SiO on a silicon wafer in a process called either micromechanical cleavage or the Scotch tape technique.[SUP][39][/SUP]
And apparently, the theory behind graphene goes back to 1957.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I heard the S5 magicos a few years ago at a dealers demo. Although they sounded very clean and uncoloured they sounded involving to me although aspects of their lack of boxiness was appealing they were not something I aspired to. I was not surprised when a mk11 appeared and JV of absolute sound, who had raved about the originals, said something like they now sounded warmer and less clinical.

I heard the top Q7s this year at a hifi show, in a big room, driven by constellation monos ARC pre and phono - they sounded impressive and loud but vey hifi - more like a high quality pa system.

caesar

May 30, 2010
When reviewers don't compare gear, their work is completely worthless. Nothing personal against Alan Sircom, but if one were to substitute Magico Q5, Q3, S5, etc., into the article instead of Magico M3, it would read identical and no one would know. Heck, one could even replace Magico M3 with a YG model, and no one would know. What a shame.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is true. We need to wait for the HiFi Critic review for more in-depth analysis and some comparos (Martin Colloms owns the S5).

OR, you can wait itll I get my hands on my pair :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Or you could come and compare the S5II, the S7 and M3 in the same room with the same electronics at my place if you are in the NYC area:) Then you would know for yourself vs. someone else's impressions and preferences.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Or you could come and compare the S5II, the S7 and M3 in the same room with the same electronics at my place if you are in the NYC area:) Then you would know for yourself vs. someone else's impressions and preferences.

+1 !

Bob has a great room and has great selection of gear (love the Vitus amps with the Magicos). He is a great host, too !

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
+1 !

Bob has a great room and has great selection of gear (love the Vitus amps with the Magicos). He is a great host, too !

Thx Adam....come on back over here:) Actually you already came over here....it's my turn to come and visit you when you get your new M3's!

Reactions: Ugc

caesar

May 30, 2010

How far away are you from the best pastrami in the world, like Katz's deli? Or best bagel places in the world like Essa and H&H? :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
How far away are you from the best pastrami in the world, like Katz's deli? Or best bagel places in the world like Essa and H&H? :)

About 3 subway stops or a 10 min cab ride.....and thx for reminding me, now I will be trudging down to Soho to Katz:)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I crave the lean and juicy pastrami from Katz's :)

A few years back I lived about 2 blocks from Katz. I put on 20 lbs quickly and had to ban myself from going there:)

caesar

May 30, 2010
Ouch! When I had projects in NYC, I wouldn't get off till 9, and then walk the streets until midnight. Much better than sitting in the hotel and going to their gym. When I travel there for pleasure, I eat what I want, but have to walk 20 miles per day to work it off, 9-5. No exaggeration. NYC has the best food in the world.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Ouch! When I had projects in NYC, I wouldn't get off till 9, and then walk the streets until midnight. Much better than sitting in the hotel and going to their gym. When I travel there for pleasure, I eat what I want, but have to walk 20 miles per day to work it off, 9-5. No exaggeration. NYC has the best food in the world.

Agreed, lot's of great food in the city. Unfortunately a lot of the little cool places are and have been replaced by a bank, starbucks' and fast food joints. When business leases are up you hear about shops that have been there for 50 years are closing down. The Carnegie Deli in midtown closed down last week after 79 years in business.....sad.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Agreed, lot's of great food in the city. Unfortunately a lot of the little cool places are and have been replaced by a bank, starbucks' and fast food joints. When business leases are up you hear about shops that have been there for 50 years are closing down. The Carnegie Deli in midtown closed down last week after 79 years in business.....sad.

I had no idea. Been there at least 2 dozen times, making runs from the W hotel. That seriously sucks! I guess there's still Roxy's

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I liked the various french toasts at Normas

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing