Pre amp for Ayre

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Just replaced the Dartzeel 8550 with the ayre mono blocks but looking for a matching Pre the options I am looking at are robert koda takumi K10,ypsilon pst100 passive,ayres KX R,Dart NS 18 all used can anyone suggest which will be the best in the sound deprtment

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations!

I love Ayre, it's my destination gear. I moved up from the 5 series to MX-R Twenty monos. I am currently saving for the KX-R Twenty preamp. I am currently using a Wyred 4 Sound stp-se after having sold my Ayre KX-5 Twenty. The Wyred does a great job but the Ayre KX-5 Twenty was superb. I feel a slightly more open and forward preamp like an ARC Ref 6 will mate well. I prefer Ayre's own offerings first but I honestly have not heard the Ypsilon or Takumi offerings.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So I owned MXR's for about 5 years and recently sold them vs upgrading to MXR-20's. While the 20's while technical better, they were missing that magic I loved about my MXR's.

I ran 2 preamps with the MXR's. A Nagra PLL and now a Koda K10. The Ayre KXR is also a very good preamp...I got to AB the Nagra and the Ayre in my home. The Nagra added a touch of sweetness to the notes, the KXR was a lil bit more quiet and more resolute. The current Nagra preamps (Jazz and Classic Pre I suspect are just killer good-I'll get to demo a Nagra Classic preamp hopefully over the holidays)

The Koda K10 is just a wonderful piece. Beautiful colors, textures, just totally get's out of the way. I've now had it for ~4 years.

Good luck !

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
just curious - why did you switch from Dart to Ayre?

as far as preamps, the Ayre amps have very high input impedance so any preamp on earth should work. I haven't heard the recent Ayre 20 series, but in my audition of the KX5/VX5 I much preferred a VTL tubed preamp the dealer tried. I found the full Ayre stack a bit dry.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
just curious - why did you switch from Dart to Ayre?

as far as preamps, the Ayre amps have very high input impedance so any preamp on earth should work. I haven't heard the recent Ayre 20 series, but in my audition of the KX5/VX5 I much preferred a VTL tubed preamp the dealer tried. I found the full Ayre stack a bit dry.

I changed as the only upgrade I could think better than the Dart integrated could be the AYRE monos as the pre power of the dart was beyond my reach.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing