Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The CAPS v4 is likely a single PC setup. With a dual PC setup you have 2 physical computers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, can you use the same WS2012R2 license on the new drive or will you just clone it?

whatever proper approach we need to do, my son will figure it out. as we would only be using one 'use' at a time we might have latitude to clone it. but my son plays by the rules as he should.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Mike, can you use the same WS2012R2 license on the new drive or will you just clone it?

I don't think you can use the same license twice, but you could always start with the trial version.

I'm afraid I'm not techie enough to know what a dual pc is, or it's significance. i'll see what I can learn and comment. likely I don't have that if I don't understand it.

logically a dual pc would be one box with 2 CPU's so you can run parallel programs of some sort.

Hi Mike, no problem thanks for giving it a try. I was actually referring to two seperate machines (one control and one audio pc) which is not uncommon to see when people using JPlay. In my own setup, going the dual pc route was a big step up in SQ. However, installing and troubleshooting made a bit less practical and at that time I was not familair with HQplayer. The only thing I did not thought of when ordering my new parts was that JPlay streamermode can't transfer DSD512. So I started to wonder what other people (who sample everything up to DSD512) are using. Since I haven't heard DSD512 in my own yet, it is a bit hard to determine which route will provide me with the best SQ.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Cloning the SSD is a good idea (in case you want to return to your previous setup).

With the Audiophile Optimizer v2.0 installed, Roon should instal without any problems on Win 2012. With AO v1.4 it was very difficoult.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
With the Audiophile Optimizer v2.0 installed, Roon should instal without any problems on Win 2012. With AO v1.4 it was very difficoult.

I tried it on WS2012, WS2012R2 and WS2012R2 Essentials. Turned out that you need certain media packages/roles. But unfortunately, AO did recognize it was R2 Essentials (it was in the AO installation msdos-box) but the service tool did not display option "p" which is for the preparation of essentials. But good to hear it should be possbile, I must do something wrong. Now I only need to determine what hehe.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I have a quite normal Win10 PC with i7 6700, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD for the heavy lifting of Room and especially HQPlayer upsampling in another room and a very lightweight Win10 Intel NUC with a Pentium N3700 as HQP NAA to feed my GG via USB.

This way the powerful PC does not have to be especially silent because it's in another room anyways, whereas the Intel NUC HQP NAA can be very low noise (sound wise and electrically) and the NUC can easily be optimized with a good linear power supply.

If the Sonore MicroRendu would already be able to deliver DSD512 into the GG, I would probably go for that one as NAA instead of the Intel NUC.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I have a quite normal Win10 PC with i7 6700, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD for the heavy lifting of Room and especially HQPlayer upsampling in another room and a very lightweight Win10 Intel NUC with a Pentium N3700 as HQP NAA to feed my GG via USB.

This way the powerful PC does not have to be especially silent because it's in another room anyways, whereas the Intel NUC HQP NAA can be very low noise (sound wise and electrically) and the NUC can easily be optimized with a good linear power supply.

If the Sonore MicroRendu would already be able to deliver DSD512 into the GG, I would probably go for that one as NAA instead of the Intel NUC.

Interesting Christoph! That would mean I do not have to use JPlay, but NAA on my audio pc (with linear an battery psu's). Would that work with Audiophile Optimizer in Core mode as well?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Ruben

I'm sorry, unfortunately I don't have any experience with AO (I did read it's supposed to be very good, though).
But I can't think of a reason, why AO should not work in this config...

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Hi Ruben

I'm sorry, unfortunately I don't have any experience with AO (I did read it's supposed to be very good, though).
But I can't think of a reason, why AO should not work in this config...

No problem, atleast now I am aware of HQplayer NAA which can replace the functionality of JPlay streamer so I can still use the dual streamer setup.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I tried it on WS2012, WS2012R2 and WS2012R2 Essentials. Turned out that you need certain media packages/roles.

The AO v2.0 has a fix for that.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Doesn't matter, even the lower rates DSD64 and 128 will get a slight improvement!

Hi Norman,

you are saying that the separate dsd512 engine will sound superior to the r2r/dsd256 standard combo even when only using dsd up to 128? Have you A/B ed this yourself already?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norman,

you are saying that the separate dsd512 engine will sound superior to the r2r/dsd256 standard combo even when only using dsd up to 128? Have you A/B ed this yourself already?

Absolutely!

Christoph and AcousticsGuru will back me up 100% on this as we all demoed the Atlantic with the separate chipless engine. To us, no debate...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Don't get me wrong, DSD via the R2R PCM-DSD256 combo engine is VERY good, but via the chipless DSD engine, it was just a tad better IMHO. At least with the fully loaded Atlantic in my system with my source (HQPlayer and room to HQP NAA).

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
The AO v2.0 has a fix for that.

Yup, and it is option "P" from the service tool which is not displayed when I run it, allthough AO recognises WS2012R2 Essentials. Even when I try to run it (AO.exe) it says, please use the prepare option first. If I go back to the service tool, it is not in the list. Pressing "P" will result in starting the powershell...

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
my essentially new GG showed up today at work. got home and unwrapped and unpacked it. for the last few hours I stumbled around trying to get everything to work. had to change settings in the SGM server for HQ Player -> 512dsd. set the new rear switch to KR242 setting, and installed those KR242's along with the Tak recti. then I could not get the GG to fire up......tried everything.....frustrated.....then noticed it was set for 230v. switched to 115v and all good. then could not get any sound, tried this and that.....had my son check on my NAS.....all ok there. played with the front button but could not get sound. went to the Lampizator website but the manual for the GG would not download. so switched the HQ Player back to the Quad dsd setting and I have music.

wow!!!

I found I have to switch the front button when I go from PCM to DSD. but this is a whole new level of digital.......so much musical energy and pace. and the KR242's are more linear and agile than the Elrogs.

and I'm not yet getting the 512 boost. but the superclocks and the ground post are not hurting. and I'm very impressed with the PCM RTR w/SGM server so far. great PCM!!!

this is a few orders of magnitude better than before......more later. I see many hours of break-in in front of me.

These few months I have been caught up with workloads and just two days ago, Mark of Sablon audio alerted me about the new upgrades. Thanks a lot, Mark! I am still trying to digest what I have been missing. I live in Jakarta and it's very inefficient and costly to send the GG back and forth to Poland for upgrade. So even if I want to, I will have to make sure, it's the right time until the dust is settled. LOL.. I am afraid, after getting it back, suddenly new upgrade is announced.

So right now I am taking notes, superclock, unpowered usb, PCM RTR, dual switch for 300B and 242, what else am I still missing? scratching-my-not-so-itchy-head

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Could somebody share the correct settings for HQplayer in order to upsample everything to DSD512. I've build a powerfull enough system (6700K, 16GB) to upsample but I struggle to find the correct settings. HQplayer does see the Amanero in my GG. I've got the backend set to ASIO and the device is Combo 384 ASIO 1.03, is this correct?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Could somebody share the correct settings for HQplayer in order to upsample everything to DSD512. I've build a powerfull enough system (6700K, 16GB) to upsample but I struggle to find the correct settings. HQplayer does see the Amanero in my GG. I've got the backend set to ASIO and the device is Combo 384 ASIO 1.03, is this correct?

Feel free to email me a screen dump of your HQP settings Ruben

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing