Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I am not sure my Big7 can use them or can all of them? I know Mike sent his GG back to Poland and now he can use them.

Mike had a DSD only GG.
What does your test report say on line 24? Update...I see its 545 mv. Should be fine...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thank you very much Mike for the info regarding the output voltage and your sonic assessment of the KR 242.
This makes me almost want to order the KR 242 untested because my GG has only 180 millivolt...

On which setting you have the KR 242 ? PX25/300b or 45/101d/PX4 ?

But the coward that I am, I will wait for Keds 242 to test them in my GG first :eek:

my 'tube mode' switch on the back has 2 positions; one is '300b', the other '45/101d/242'.

so the '242' setting is the same now as the 45 and 101d....and I'm not sure what exact change Lukasz made to that setting to accommodate the 242. or whether the accommodation might have been elsewhere to allow that setting to work for the 242's.

what I also don't yet know is whether that has any effect on the Elrog 300b's running on the 45/101d setting as it formerly did. I have to try that. and I'm not sure what the long term implications for tube life might be for the Elrogs. I know they were 11 months, 5 hours a day happy on that prior setting.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mike had a DSD only GG.
What does your test report say on line 24? Update...I see its 545 mv. Should be fine...

Since my Big 7 is in Poland now for upgrades should I have him lower it a bit?

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
I'd better tell lukasz to optimize it for the KR242.

As I stated before mine is 308 mV and feel too high the output, and Mike's GG is 700 mV. Maybe the trick is in some other place, like voltage on music tube heaters?

Roch

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Perhaps...though I think it will low in any case nowadays since the latest r2r firmwares were put in place.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
I'll be sending my GG back to Poland in a couple of days to get rid of the distortions I've been having since the beginning and which could not be fixed in a first attempt at Lampi's.

Since my GG needs to go back anyway, I would like to upgrade all that is worth upgrading. Change to R2R discrete ladder dac is planned which will hopefully sort out my distortion problem.

As for the other options, are the two superclocks for usb only or is this worthwhile when using bnc input too?

What's it with the grounding post?

I solved my grounding issue with some diy.
image.jpg

I am not using dsd yet for a lack of a potent computer so not sure whether it makes sense to upgrade to dsd 512 with a separate dsd engine.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'll be sending my GG back to Poland in a couple of days to get rid of the distortions I've been having since the beginning and which could not be fixed in a first attempt at Lampi's.

Since my GG needs to go back anyway, I would like to upgrade all that is worth upgrading. Change to R2R discrete ladder dac is planned which will hopefully sort out my distortion problem.

As for the other options, are the two superclocks for usb only or is this worthwhile when using bnc input too?

What's it with the grounding post?......

I am not using dsd yet for a lack of a potent computer so not sure whether it makes sense to upgrade to dsd 512 with a separate dsd engine.

I had also done a DIY grounding post, but the one Lukasz installed is much nicer, as well as I know it's actually grounded optimally. my DIY was a 'hope it works' job.

don't know about the super-clocks and different inputs.

and I cannot yet give definitive feedback on everything.....other than the 'KR242' setting is highly recommended.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Thanks Mike,

superclocks are just for the usb input, as I just learned.

Can you show a pic of Lukasz grounding solution?

Cheers
Chris

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike,

superclocks are just for the usb input, as I just learned.

Can you show a pic of Lukasz grounding solution?

Cheers
Chris

here ya go.....

I have the ground from the Tripoint Troy Signature, and the ground from my HFX box for my Tara Grandmaster Evolution RCA's attached.

grounding post.jpg

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
IMG_2809.jpg

Building a more potent control pc right now, so I can use HQplayer and DSD512 (hopefully later today).

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
I had also done a DIY grounding post, but the one Lukasz installed is much nicer, as well as I know it's actually grounded optimally. my DIY was a 'hope it works' job.

It does indeed look slightly better than diy...:p

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

What's it with the grounding post?

I solved my grounding issue with some diy.
View attachment 30345

I would DEFINITELY get the DSD512 option. Its the best DSD at any native rate playback.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
I would DEFINITELY get the DSD512 option. Its the best DSD at any native rate playback.

Yes, but I don't know when or if I ever get a powerful enough computer to render dsd512.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Just our of curiosity, how do you guys stream DSD512 to the GG? I do have a dual streamer setup, but I have always used JPlay in the past. And if I am not mistaken, it is not possible to stream DSD512 with JPlay (only DSD128 or 256). Which program could I use for a dual streamer setup to feed the GG DSD512?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Just our of curiosity, how do you guys stream DSD512 to the GG? I do have a dual streamer setup, but I have always used JPlay in the past. And if I am not mistaken, it is not possible to stream DSD512 with JPlay (only DSD128 or 256). Which program could I use for a dual streamer setup to feed the GG DSD512?

yes; currently I'm streaming 512dsd into the 512dsd GG dac from my wonderful 'on trial' SGM server with HQ Player. and when I use that dac I am up-sampling all dsd and pcm to 512 with HQ Player.

my 'other' dac, a CAPSv4 with Lampi upgrades does use JPlay and it's limited to Quad (256) dsd. I've not used it in 4 weeks and not yet tried it with the upgraded GG.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Mike,

Did you have a chance to try HQ Player (with the same settings as SGM) on your CAPS server ?

I wonder, how big the difference is. BTW - if you end up keeping your server, I strongly recommend to upgrade your USB card to the new Jcat Femto.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
yes; currently I'm streaming 512dsd into the 512dsd GG dac from my wonderful 'on trial' SGM server with HQ Player. and when I use that dac I am up-sampling all dsd and pcm to 512 with HQ Player.

my 'other' dac, a CAPSv4 with Lampi upgrades does use JPlay and it's limited to Quad (256) dsd. I've not used it in 4 weeks and not yet tried it with the upgraded GG.

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. That CAPSv4, is it just a single machine or a dual pc setup?

Mike,

Did you have a chance to try HQ Player (with the same settings as SGM) on your CAPS server ?

I wonder, how big the difference is. BTW - if you end up keeping your server, I strongly recommend to upgrade your USB card to the new Jcat Femto.

Elberoth, what kind of server are you using? (Edit:lampi dsd from your sig I guess) Regarding the USB card, I was told by the maker of the SGM server that they preferred the usb output straight from the mobo
after upgrading the mobo's clock.

I tried this evening to update my WS2012 to WS2012R2 essentials in order to get Roon and HQplayer playing but didn't succeeded. I am now doubting whether I should go back to the dual streaming setup I had, or go with one single machine where I can use HQplayer and Roon.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I've spoken to my son about adding HQ Player and Roon to my CAPSv4 server to see what difference it is compared to the SGM. that will happen when I can nail him down. as long as the snow is flying he's skiing with all his spare time......I might buy another SSD to load the new software on so we don't corrupt all the JPlay settings and just switch the drives. could happen this coming weekend.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I've spoken to my son about adding HQ Player and Roon to my CAPSv4 server to see what difference it is compared to the SGM. that will happen when I can nail him down. as long as the snow is flying he's skiing with all his spare time......I might buy another SSD to load the new software on so we don't corrupt all the JPlay settings and just switch the drives. could happen this coming weekend.

Mike, can you use the same WS2012R2 license on the new drive or will you just clone it?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. That CAPSv4, is it just a single machine or a dual pc setup?

I'm afraid I'm not techie enough to know what a dual pc is, or it's significance. i'll see what I can learn and comment. likely I don't have that if I don't understand it.

logically a dual pc would be one box with 2 CPU's so you can run parallel programs of some sort.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing