Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
What are your contenders regarding rectis?
The Taka 274b seems to be quite in its own league but really pricey and only available via Japan :(
The KR 5U4G Lampi is also said to be an excellent recti but unobtainium. Does anyone know if the normal KR 5U4G (non Lampi) is (almost) as good as the Lampi version?

Have you also tried other driver tube types than 300b?
I know others detest the 101d tennisballs but I kind of like their dynamics and precision, but they maybe do lack some tone and harmonics, though.
I really loved the EML 45 Lampi anniversary mesh globes, but unfortunately they are unobtainium, too :(
I hope that the KR 242 can combine the precision and dynamics of the 101d with the tone and harmonics of 300b and 45...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I also have a Tak 274b. You can purchase them from pricejapan.com but they are pricey.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
You are not 100% happy with the Taka 274b?
I guess you are the first one ;-)
I live in Europe and ordering from pricejapan doesn't appeal too much to me...
Where do you live?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I also have a Tak 274b. You can purchase them from pricejapan.com but they are pricey.

As I understand matters, global sales of Takatsuki are handled by Amtrans.jp whom you will see referenced on the bottom of the pricejapan.com page. Whilst undoubtably rather expensive, the export price will be cheaper directly from Amtrans and it would be best to email them directly rather than try navigate their japanese language website.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
You are not 100% happy with the Taka 274b?
I guess you are the first one ;-)
I live in Europe and ordering from pricejapan doesn't appeal too much to me...
Where do you live?

I didn't think it sounded best with a pair of WE 275As but I am hoping it will with either the Taks or the Elrogs. My Big 7 is being upgraded now so I won't be able to try everything out for a month.

I am in the US.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hello Mark
As I understand matters, global sales of Takatsuki are handled by Amtrans.jp whom you will see referenced on the bottom of the pricejapan.com page. Whilst undoubtably rather expensive, the export price will be cheaper directly from Amtrans and it would be best to email them directly rather than try navigate their japanese language website.

Thank you very much for this advice.
Do you happen to know how much the Taka 274b would cost roughly directly from amtrans?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
What are your contenders regarding rectis?
The Taka 274b seems to be quite in its own league but really pricey and only available via Japan :(
The KR 5U4G Lampi is also said to be an excellent recti but unobtainium. Does anyone know if the normal KR 5U4G (non Lampi) is (almost) as good as the Lampi version?

Have you also tried other driver tube types than 300b?
I know others detest the 101d tennisballs but I kind of like their dynamics and precision, but they maybe do lack some tone and harmonics, though.
I really loved the EML 45 Lampi anniversary mesh globes, but unfortunately they are unobtainium, too :(
I hope that the KR 242 can combine the precision and dynamics of the 101d with the tone and harmonics of 300b and 45...

I think the lampi 5u4g and the Kron are the same recti...just the branding is different. EML 45 mesh anniv is truly unobtanium. Ked says the 242 will beat all. I intend to find out.

BTW, the pavane metal base 101d is better than the white base tennis balls.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I didn't think it sounded best with a pair of WE 275As but I am hoping it will with either the Taks or the Elrogs. My Big 7 is being upgraded now so I won't be able to try everything out for a month.

I am in the US.
David, maybe you should get a pair of kR242s to go with your TAK recti....just saying.. LoL

Last edited:

elcorso

VIP/Donor
Nov 19, 2013
Rainforest
Mike,

I guess it's in page 1 in the raw that indicates "Absolute maximum signal volume".

On my B7 is 308 mV that allows me to use 242 tubes, but, have to be careful with the preamp volume: Too much gain from the B7 with this tubes...!

I'm interested too, because maybe I'll upgrade to a GG.

Roch

Christoph,

I cannot determine what info that you want. so here is a screen capture of a scan of page 2 of the data sheet for my updated GG.

View attachment 30333

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think the lampi 5u4g and the Kron are the same recti...just the branding is different. EML 45 mesh anniv is truly unobtanium. Ked says the 242 will beat all. I intend to find out.

BTW, the pavane metal base 101d is better than the white base tennis balls.

so far my experience with the KR242's that Lukasz sent me would indicate that it is superior to any other tube I have heard on the GG. more energy and pulse along with greater ease and authority.

also; I have a set of NOS KR242's that require the ceramic spacers that I will also try.

I have the Psvane 101d WE Replicas that came stock with my GG but I've not tried them in awhile.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I guess it's in page 1 in the raw that indicates "Absolute maximum signal volume".

On my B7 is 308 mV that allows me to use 242 tubes, but, have to be careful with the preamp volume: Too much gain from the B7 with this tubes...!

I'm interested too, because maybe I'll upgrade to a GG.

Roch

here you go...

GG page 1.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you very much Mike for the info regarding the output voltage and your sonic assessment of the KR 242.
This makes me almost want to order the KR 242 untested because my GG has only 180 millivolt...

On which setting you have the KR 242 ? PX25/300b or 45/101d/PX4 ?

But the coward that I am, I will wait for Keds 242 to test them in my GG first :eek:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David, maybe yo should get a pair of kR242s to go with your TAK recti....just saying.. LoL

I am not sure my Big7 can use them or can all of them? I know Mike sent his GG back to Poland and now he can use them.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi David

Just look at the test sheet of your Big 7, first page the last entry "Output Voltage".
Obviously anything below 500 mV should be OK.
Mike's GG has even 700 mV.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi David

Just look at the test sheet of your Big 7, first page the last entry "Output Voltage".
Obviously anything below 500 mV should be OK.
Mike's GG has even 700 mV.

Mine says "Absolute maximum signal volume 545 mV."

Is that it?

My test sheet is attached.
Big7004.jpg Big7003.jpg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
"They" say it's dependend on the whole system gain but I think with 545 mV you are pretty much on the safe side.
I wanted mine with even more headroom (180 mV) as two pairs of my speakers are Horns with 96dB and 105dB respectively.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing