Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Collected my GG SE (with superclocks, DSD 512 and PX 25 tubes) this afternoon. Unfortunately I can't listen to the DSD engine at the moment because I have to adjust my dual streamer setup first. However, listening to the basic PCM engine already puts a big smile on my face :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Collected my GG SE (with superclocks, DSD 512 and PX 25 tubes) this afternoon. Unfortunately I can't listen to the DSD engine at the moment because I have to adjust my dual streamer setup first. However, listening to the basic PCM engine already puts a big smile on my face :D

Cool, what did you have before?

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Cool, what did you have before?

A dCS Paganini DAC (only the dac, no master clock or upsampeler). The GG has volume control, but currently it is hooked up to a Classe Omega MKII preamp. I am using a PPA DDC usb to spdif at the moment. I hope to upgrade my dual streamer setup with a faster cpu so I can try HQ player and use the DSD 512 engine.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
As many people talk about trying HQPlayer, I would like to remind you that I am an official reseller and you can purchase it through me at a cheaper price.
I helped many users from CA and Roon forums.
PM me as you like.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
As many people talk about trying HQPlayer, I would like to remind you that I am an official reseller and you can purchase it through me at a cheaper price.
I helped many users from CA and Roon forums.
PM me as you like.

Awesome, I will PM you. Thanks!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Mike

Did you find the time to listen some more and can elaborate more about your findings?
What output voltage does your GG now have for the KR242?
Have you also tried other recti tubes, other than the Tak274b?

Cheers,
Christoph

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike

Did you find the time to listen some more and can elaborate more about your findings?

Cheers,
Christoph

hi Christoph,

I'm trying to read the 'dac test report' dated 12-15-2016 that came with the dac to answer your question.

on the front page top it says;

Tubes (music) 45/101d/242/300b

on the back page;

#26. voltage on C1--253
#27. voltage on C2--245

it also says

#32. voltage on music tube heaters---4.2 (242)

if you can point me to a particular thing I'm happy to relate it.

as far as results so far.......there are so many variables in terms of ways to set up the GG and the SGM that it's taking time for me to sort through the various set-ups to judge what is doing what.

overall I'm very happy with what I'm hearing. but there is a lot to take in.....and I'm just at the beginning. and there is breakin also to consider.

first off, we have 2 dacs (pushing in the front button selects the 512 dsd only dac); the (upgraded to from 256dsd) 512dsd old type Fikus converter, and now also the RTR dac which also does dsd up to Quad. and then I have HQ Player which can up-sample all PCM to 512dsd, or upsample all dsd to dxd352. I can have the RTR dac read both pcm and dsd and out both natively, or output just pcm or just dsd. I can set HQ Player to be native, or just output PCM or just output SDM.

I'm trying to get my bearings with each set of variables.

and it's the Holidays so my time has been pulled away from this task.

I'd say the only conclusion so far is that the new RTR dac is very very good in PCM......and overall things are two or three steps forward from the old 'quad dsd' only configuration.

I do have 2 other rectifiers besides the Tak 274b; the Emission Labs 5U4G that came with the GG originally, and a 1944 vintage 5R4GY RCA. the Tak is better than either of those with greater texture, authority and dynamics, and personally I prefer the RCA to the Emission Labs for it's greater clarity in the context of my particular system. but both are good.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Mike

Cheers,
Christoph

I have now an Ayon branded mesh plate 5u4g, which I think is made by Emission Labs as well as a NOS Svetlana winged "C" and a 5u4gb from Sylvannia that we can try out next time we meet up. In the Crossfire the big Ayon rectifier is a bit more relaxed overall but both it and the Svetlana are great.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hello Mike

Thank you very much for your extensive answer.

I have the exact same GG as you have, configwise (but different tubes).
The output voltage is on the backside of your testsheet at the very end.
The target range is 200 to 2000 millivolt and mine has 180 millivolt because I wanted to be able to use KR 242.

I would be very much interested in your preferred HQPlayer settings.
To get to know your new engines, I would listen to the native formats of your music and try upsampling after you know the sound natively quite well.

Cheers,
Christoph

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Brad

Yes, let's roll some recti tubes next time (soon). That sould be very interesting.

Do you remember the Haltron Recti, Norman brought along?
At least in the Atlantic it sounded better than the EML mesh 274b that came with the GG.
I have the Haltron in the GG now and at least from memory, it also sounds better than the EML mesh 274b in the GG.
I haven't switched back to EML to check yet, but I'm pretty confident my memory serves me right.

Cheers,
Christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi Brad

Yes, let's roll some recti tubes next time (soon). That sould be very interesting.

Do you remember the Haltron Recti, Norman brought along?
At least in the Atlantic it sounded better than the EML mesh 274b that came with the GG.
I have the Haltron in the GG now and at least from memory, it also sounds better than the EML mesh 274b in the GG.
I haven't switched back to EML to check yet, but I'm pretty confident my memory serves me right.

Cheers,
Christoph

Can you describe the Haltron rectifier specifically? Maybe add a picture?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks. I have been trying to find one. Those look like they have the ceramic spacer.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What is it about the ceramic spacer?
Is that a good thing?
How can I verify if my Haltron has such a ceramic spacer or not?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Good question. From reading a bunch of forums it seems like this variation of the 5R4GY is preferable. I am not sure why the ceramic spacer makes a difference, assuming it does.

I believe the spacer is in between the 2 plates at the top.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thanks for the info.
It looks like mine IS with ceramic spacers :cool:
Is the one with ceramic spacer harder to find?
Do you happen to have a pic from one with a non ceramic spacer?
What is the other spacer made of, then?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don't think they are hard to find if you are persistent.

I think the ones without the ceramic spacer only have one plate at the top and thus no spacer, but others may know more about this than I do.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
What is your preferred tube setup in your Big 7?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
hi Christoph,

first off, we have 2 dacs (pushing in the front button selects the 512 dsd only dac); the (upgraded to from 256dsd) 512dsd old type Fikus converter, and now also the RTR dac which also does dsd up to Quad. and then I have HQ Player which can up-sample all PCM to 512dsd, or upsample all dsd to dxd352. I can have the RTR dac read both pcm and dsd and out both natively, or output just pcm or just dsd. I can set HQ Player to be native, or just output PCM or just output SDM.

I'm trying to get my bearings with each set of variables.

and it's the Holidays so my time has been pulled away from this task.

I'd say the only conclusion so far is that the new RTR dac is very very good in PCM......and overall things are two or three steps forward from the old 'quad dsd' only configuration.

I do have 2 other rectifiers besides the Tak 274b; the Emission Labs 5U4G that came with the GG originally, and a 1944 vintage 5R4GY RCA. the Tak is better than either of those with greater texture, authority and dynamics, and personally I prefer the RCA to the Emission Labs for it's greater clarity in the context of my particular system. but both are good.

I'm very curious where you locate the sweet spot of the GG in this config and with what HQPlayer setting the best possible sound can be achieved. Would be very cool if you could share your findings in this thread for us to try out and compare :cool:

Wish you a lot of fun with your new baby and the myriad of possibilities to get out the best possible sound out of this wonderful DAC.

Cheers,
Christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What is your preferred tube setup in your Big 7?

Right now the Tak 300Bs sound the best to me but I haven't had my Elrog 300Bs yet. Still playing with rectifiers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing