Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Wow, that implies that the DXD tracks are beating the stellar DSD128 tracks that I know you have. Hard to fathom that the R2R engine can beat the chipless dsd512 engine!

Hi Norman, the 512 engine is actually chip based. I spoke with Lukasz earlier to clarify since a couple of people had been asking me about this.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
my first non-reflective reaction would be no. then, after considering the very best of what I've heard I would say 'a little'. some of the native dxd particularly gets closer. all the graphs need to line up. makes me want more dxd files. I think the SGM server does make a significant difference.

but; the needle drops and we are not in Kansas anymore. the Goldfinger Statement is improving too.

I will refrain from saying that "native DXD" is a non native format ;), but can I ask you where do you source DXD files? The few ones I own sound really great on the Vivaldi, but are not in quantity enough to get an overall view of the format!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norman, the 512 engine is actually chip based. I spoke with Lukasz earlier to clarify since a couple of people had been asking me about this.

i know Mark...its just a shorthand for DAC-chipless DSD. But Dac-Chipless is too unweildy a term to use. LoL

The idea is to distinguish this from the generic DAC chip approach most manufactures use for DSD, as opposed to the discrete layout of the chinless approach which is essentially an elaborate filter box.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
too soon for any absolutes. just commenting on what has grabbed my attention so far. but dxd on the right PCM dac is compelling. I always wondered what dxd might sound like if the Trinity dac could handle it.

Understood, but I would not have expected it to even be close!
Do me a favor...play back St James Inf by Satchmo native rate DSD128 and let me know what you think.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
For the technically challenged like me, can someone explain a bit what is the difference between DAC-chipless vs. the "regular" DSD256 engine in the Atlantic/GG?

i know Mark...its just a shorthand for DAC-chipless DSD. But Dac-Chipless is too unweildy. LoL

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Go to the 2l and spirit of turtle websites, Micro: quite a lot of marvelous sounding dxd files can be downloaded from these sites.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
For the technically challenged like me, can someone explain a bit what is the difference between DAC-chipless vs. the "regular" DSD256 engine in the Atlantic/GG?

The DSD256 module in the R2R setup is a "mini-chipless" engine...woth some shared competently from the R2R board (I surmise). The separate DSD512 chipless engine is a macro version of the former with no ties to the R2R engine and has all its own maxed out components, hence the higher speed and larger size. To me, that is the real deal. The former is nice, but the latter is a BEAST.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I will refrain from saying that "native DXD" is a non native format ;), but can I ask you where do you source DXD files? The few ones I own sound really great on the Vivaldi, but are not in quantity enough to get an overall view of the format!

I have to admit that I'm still trying to find files on Roon on the SGM server. they don't sort by format....or even label, only by album or artist. with JRiver they were all sorted by format and label and I knew exactly where each one was after a year of using it. I could very quickly find and open any. with Roon often I need to open the file to see the format. so it's a long tedious process to figure out my favorites. so far I've just scratched the surface since I have to mostly stumble on them.

the dxd files I've really liked are mostly compilations of dxd from master tapes I think. one particular one is Diana Krall, 'Live in Paris'. I have that master tape. another has a number of amazing transfers of familiar analog recordings.

what I need to do is get the Challenge Classics native dxd files that Audiocrack has promoted so strongly. currently I only have the Quad versions. these are all native dxd mastered.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello Mike
I have to admit that I'm still trying to find files on Roon on the SGM server. they don't sort by format....or even label, only by album or artist. with JRiver they were all sorted by format and label and I knew exactly where each one was after a year of using it. I could very quickly find and open any. with Roon often I need to open the file to see the format. so it's a long tedious process to figure out my favorites. so far I've just scratched the surface since I have to mostly stumble on them.

the dxd files I've really liked are mostly compilations of dxd from master tapes I think. one particular one is Diana Krall, 'Live in Paris'. I have that master tape. another has a number of amazing transfers of familiar analog recordings.

what I need to do is get the Challenge Classics native dxd files that Audiocrack has promoted so strongly. currently I only have the Quad versions. these are all native dxd mastered.

Go to overview, show all albums, then click focus, scroll completely to the right and there you can filter for format and for label.
you can even stack filters.
Room is very mighty and rules big time.
It's simple as that ;)

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
Thank you for that. One more question though : what does "DAC-chipless" mean? From what I understand, the DSD bitstream is low-pass filtered using discrete parts; so what part is going through the "chip"?

The DSD256 module in the R2R setup is a "mini-chipless" engine...woth some shared competently from the R2R board (I surmise). The separate DSD512 chipless engine is a macro version of the former with no ties to the R2R engine and has all its own maxed out components, hence the higher speed and larger size. To me, that is the real deal. The former is nice, but the latter is a BEAST.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
One more question though : what does "DAC-chipless" mean? From what I understand, the DSD bitstream is low-pass filtered using discrete parts; so what part is going through the "chip"?

What "chip"? There isn't one.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It means no ESS Sabre chip or Wolfson or Burr-Brown or Cirrus or Analog Devices or, or, or...DSD conversion is thru the discrete filter box that hs other chips in it. No all in one all singing all dancing , Jack of all trades Dac chip. Chipless means no use of a classic Dac chip.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike

Go to overview, show all albums, then click focus, scroll completely to the right and there you can filter for format and for label.
you can even stack filters.
Room is very mighty and rules big time.
It's simple as that ;)

thank you. will try tonight. sounds easy.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
Thank you for explaining. If I understand correctly, there is no DAC chip but there is an I/V converter chip. That would make sense.

It means no ESS Sabre chip or Wolfson or Burr-Brown or Cirrus or Analog Devices or, or, or...DSD conversion is thru the discrete filter box that hs other chips in it. No all in one all singing all dancing , Jack of all trades Dac chip. Chipless means no use of a classic Dac chip.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Thank you for explaining. If I understand correctly, there is no DAC chip but there is an I/V converter chip. That would make sense.

I don't think there's an I/V converter chip either...

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
If I understand correctly, there is no DAC chip but there is an I/V converter chip. That would make sense.

Doesn't to me ;) If there's no DAC chip there's not likely to be any I to convert to V. I/V converters are called for because so many DAC chips are current (I) output.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
Well, posts #121 and #124 pointed to some chip in the DSD section. I have no idea what it does - that's what I'm trying to understand. My I/V converter assumption appears wrong.

I don't think there's an I/V converter chip either...

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Chances are what 'chip-less' means is really 'DAC chip-less' (just as wisnon suggests). So perhaps a logic device such as a flip-flop is being used as the DAC. And a flip-flop will be voltage out, hence no need to convert.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing