Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Wow, that implies that the DXD tracks are beating the stellar DSD128 tracks that I know you have. Hard to fathom that the R2R engine can beat the chipless dsd512 engine!
    Hi Norman, the 512 engine is actually chip based. I spoke with Lukasz earlier to clarify since a couple of people had been asking me about this.
    Industry disclosure - www.sablonaudio.com & Dealer for Lampizator and Sound Galleries of Monaco Server

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    my first non-reflective reaction would be no. then, after considering the very best of what I've heard I would say 'a little'. some of the native dxd particularly gets closer. all the graphs need to line up. makes me want more dxd files. I think the SGM server does make a significant difference.

but; the needle drops and we are not in Kansas anymore. the Goldfinger Statement is improving too.
    I will refrain from saying that "native DXD" is a non native format , but can I ask you where do you source DXD files? The few ones I own sound really great on the Vivaldi, but are not in quantity enough to get an overall view of the format!
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and Audio Research REF40 ...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    huh? did something happen in Calif?
    Look up golden showers

Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    Hi Norman, the 512 engine is actually chip based. I spoke with Lukasz earlier to clarify since a couple of people had been asking me about this.
    i know Mark...its just a shorthand for DAC-chipless DSD. But Dac-Chipless is too unweildy a term to use. LoL

The idea is to distinguish this from the generic DAC chip approach most manufactures use for DSD, as opposed to the discrete layout of the chinless approach which is essentially an elaborate filter box.
    Last edited by wisnon; 01-11-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Look up golden showers
    Hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    too soon for any absolutes. just commenting on what has grabbed my attention so far. but dxd on the right PCM dac is compelling. I always wondered what dxd might sound like if the Trinity dac could handle it.
    Understood, but I would not have expected it to even be close!
    Do me a favor...play back St James Inf by Satchmo native rate DSD128 and let me know what you think.

For the technically challenged like me, can someone explain a bit what is the difference between DAC-chipless vs. the "regular" DSD256 engine in the Atlantic/GG?

i know Mark...its just a shorthand for DAC-chipless DSD. But Dac-Chipless is too unweildy. LoL

Go to the 2l and spirit of turtle websites, Micro: quite a lot of marvelous sounding dxd files can be downloaded from these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedus76 View Post
    For the technically challenged like me, can someone explain a bit what is the difference between DAC-chipless vs. the "regular" DSD256 engine in the Atlantic/GG?
    The DSD256 module in the R2R setup is a "mini-chipless" engine...woth some shared competently from the R2R board (I surmise). The separate DSD512 chipless engine is a macro version of the former with no ties to the R2R engine and has all its own maxed out components, hence the higher speed and larger size. To me, that is the real deal. The former is nice, but the latter is a BEAST.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I will refrain from saying that "native DXD" is a non native format , but can I ask you where do you source DXD files? The few ones I own sound really great on the Vivaldi, but are not in quantity enough to get an overall view of the format!
    I have to admit that I'm still trying to find files on Roon on the SGM server. they don't sort by format....or even label, only by album or artist. with JRiver they were all sorted by format and label and I knew exactly where each one was after a year of using it. I could very quickly find and open any. with Roon often I need to open the file to see the format. so it's a long tedious process to figure out my favorites. so far I've just scratched the surface since I have to mostly stumble on them.

the dxd files I've really liked are mostly compilations of dxd from master tapes I think. one particular one is Diana Krall, 'Live in Paris'. I have that master tape. another has a number of amazing transfers of familiar analog recordings.

what I need to do is get the Challenge Classics native dxd files that Audiocrack has promoted so strongly. currently I only have the Quad versions. these are all native dxd mastered.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast