Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my essentially new GG showed up today at work. got home and unwrapped and unpacked it. for the last few hours I stumbled around trying to get everything to work. had to change settings in the SGM server for HQ Player -> 512dsd. set the new rear switch to KR242 setting, and installed those KR242's along with the Tak recti. then I could not get the GG to fire up......tried everything.....frustrated.....then noticed it was set for 230v. switched to 115v and all good. then could not get any sound, tried this and that.....had my son check on my NAS.....all ok there. played with the front button but could not get sound. went to the Lampizator website but the manual for the GG would not download. so switched the HQ Player back to the Quad dsd setting and I have music.

wow!!!

I found I have to switch the front button when I go from PCM to DSD. but this is a whole new level of digital.......so much musical energy and pace. and the KR242's are more linear and agile than the Elrogs.

and I'm not yet getting the 512 boost. but the superclocks and the ground post are not hurting. and I'm very impressed with the PCM RTR w/SGM server so far. great PCM!!!

this is a few orders of magnitude better than before......more later. I see many hours of break-in in front of me.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
my essentially new GG showed up today at work. got home and unwrapped and unpacked it. for the last few hours I stumbled around trying to get everything to work. had to change settings in the SGM server for HQ Player -> 512dsd.

so switched the HQ Player back to the Quad dsd setting and I have music.

wow!!!

I found I have to switch the front button when I go from PCM to DSD. but this is a whole new level of digital.......so much musical energy and pace. and the KR242's are more linear and agile than the Elrogs.

and I'm not yet getting the 512 boost. but the superclocks and the ground post are not hurting. and I'm very impressed with the PCM RTR w/SGM server so far. great PCM!!!

this is a few orders of magnitude better than before......more later. I see many hours of break-in in front of me.

Looking good for Christmas and the Holidays!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
my essentially new GG showed up today at work. got home and unwrapped and unpacked it. for the last few hours I stumbled around trying to get everything to work. had to change settings in the SGM server for HQ Player -> 512dsd. set the new rear switch to KR242 setting, and installed those KR242's along with the Tak recti. then I could not get the GG to fire up......tried everything.....frustrated.....then noticed it was set for 230v. switched to 115v and all good. then could not get any sound, tried this and that.....had my son check on my NAS.....all ok there. played with the front button but could not get sound. went to the Lampizator website but the manual for the GG would not download. so switched the HQ Player back to the Quad dsd setting and I have music.

wow!!!

this is a few orders of magnitude better than before......more later.

Hi Mike,

Congrats on your updated Lampi GG! Cutting edge stuff. Glad to hear you're liking the KR242 DHTs. Any ideas why DSD 512 isn't working? Maybe it's the settings on the SGM server.

Best,
Ken

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your updated Lampi GG! Cutting edge stuff. Glad to hear you're liking the KR242 DHTs. Any ideas why DSD 512 isn't working? Maybe it's the settings on the SGM server.

Best,
Ken

tried to reach Edward, but he is likely traveling. it's my lack of techie smarts. or maybe the driver for the Lampi is different for the 512? or there is a nuance of the HQ Player settings I'm missing. anyway.....when Ed is back in touch I'm sure it will be easy.

right now I'm listening to a 352 kHz version of 'Diana Krall's 'Live in Paris' over the new RTR PCM engine. not sure where it came from but it's spooky good. and I have the tape.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I have my B7 upgraded to the new R2R board for 10 days and I agree with Mike that PCM sounds incredible, on par with best DSD recordings.
I didn't order superclocks as I am not sure that I would like what they do.
I care very much about timbre and saturation and will wait for your comments about new clocks .

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have my B7 upgraded to the new R2R board for 10 days and I agree with Mike that PCM sounds incredible, on par with best DSD recordings.
I didn't order superclocks as I am not sure that I would like what they do.
I care very much about timbre and saturation and will wait for your comments about new clocks .

boy......timbre and saturation is pretty damn good. and it's brand new with only a few hours on it. playing some 'angry violin' right now.....that would drive me out of the room if there was not plenty of tonal weight and texture......with a natural and smooth top end. and it will only get better.

I think the super clocks give you more focus and clarity, but also they improve the throughput of the digital signal since, if I understand it correctly, the clock upgrade improves the amanero USB interface in some way. pardon me if I've not got that benefit exactly right.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The super clocks are only for PCM ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
btw; not sure what I did different, but I was able to enable the HQ Player upsampling to 512. it's early to comment but I think it's better.

Be interested to know what u did Mike :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
btw; not sure what I did different, but I was able to enable the HQ Player upsampling to 512. it's early to comment but I think it's better.

I THINK, I can figure this out remotely, based on my experience with a dual engined demo Atlantic dac.

What you and AC have is two dacs in one box! You have R2R engine and separate Chipless DSD(512) engine.

The R2R portion does PCM via the resistor ladder array as well as DSD256 via a bypass to an adjunct DSD decoder.
The separate chipless DSD512 board/engine ONLY plays chipless DSD and to me is better at ALL rates of DSD vs the "R2R"DSD.

My guess is that you, (Mike) pushed in the front button to get to the R2R and thus was able to play PCM and DSD up to 256. When you repushed the button, you no longer can play PCM, but have all 4 DSD rates up to 512. I know this from my time with the Demo Atlantic which had a similar setup.

Mike, what is the correct setting for KR242 tubes and what does the spec sheet say is the Dac output in milivolts? I expect it will be no more than 400mv, correct?

Based on feedback from you and AC, I cant WAIT to get my upgraded GG back. Wow!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I spoke with Mike earlier whilst Ed was flying back to Europe and he had already found the solution. HQP was set to DSD quadspeed upsampling frequency from before his GG went back for upgrade and the drop down box simply needing to have the octo speed frequency ticked.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
boy......timbre and saturation is pretty damn good. and it's brand new with only a few hours on it. playing some 'angry violin' right now.....that would drive me out of the room if there was not plenty of tonal weight and texture......with a natural and smooth top end. and it will only get better.

I think the super clocks give you more focus and clarity, but also they improve the throughput of the digital signal since, if I understand it correctly, the clock upgrade improves the amanero USB interface in some way. pardon me if I've not got that benefit exactly right.

The 242 when they work have a much higher impact than upgrade from old B7 to new GG with clock and stuff. Maybe I am slightly exaggerating but try putting your 300b back in.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The 242 when they work have a much higher impact than upgrade from old B7 to new GG with clock and stuff. Maybe I am slightly exaggerating but try putting your 300b back in.

i'll try the 300b as soon as I can. I have an audio visitor from out of town tonight so not sure i'll get a chance.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I spoke with Mike earlier whilst Ed was flying back to Europe and he had already found the solution. HQP was set to DSD quadspeed upsampling frequency from before his GG went back for upgrade and the drop down box simply needing to have the octo speed frequency ticked.
It should have been playing quad speed on the Chipless engine then, as all rates are played.

ONLY the Chipless can play 512.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Octa-rate Chipless DSD and Tubes a la Fikus...

Do you have an 'un-powered' USB cable for it as well? I can only imagine and dream what my new DIY USB cable with filter and ground lift would do in that setup.

Or an NAA or microRendu powered by an Uptone Ultracap LPS-1... I can only imagine...

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Octa-rate Chipless DSD and Tubes a la Ficus...

Do you have an 'un-powered' USB cable for it as well? I can only imagine and dream what my new DIY USB cable with filter and ground lift would do in that setup.

Or an NAA or microRendu powered by an Uptone Ultracap LPS-1... I can only imagine...

yes; I have the 'un-powered' Sablon Panatela USB.

it's very good....still taking it all in. last night I had a visitor until late so no critical listening.

needs break-in to fully appreciate, I think.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
yes; I have the 'un-powered' Sablon Panatela USB.

it's very good....still taking it all in.

needs break-in to fully appreciate, I think.

That's very cool, looking forward to your more extensive listening impressions. There's something about high-rate DSD and Tubes, especially SET Tube Amps... It's otherworldly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing