Lampi GG 512dsd + 44k + 48k superclocks + RTR PCM + KR242 + grounding post + SGM server----

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
Balanced GG Just Ordered -- Wondering How Best to Drive It?

Mike et al,

Pending the receipt of my newly ordered Bal GG -- which is replacing my SE Big7 -- I too am interested in your response to christoph’s question about HQPlayer settings for your GG.

Also, it would be helpful if you advise what: "Ed is going to install another interface other than Roon that is less restrictive for me"?

Now that I will be getting the latest SOTA, 512DSD GG, I’m interested in trying HQPlayer with a microRendu.

Presently, I’m simply using the following setup: 3tb HD/Firewire/Mac mini/Bootcamp/Fidelizer/JRiver. It appears that the learning curve is rather steep to go to a HQPlayer/microRendu/GG setup.

Does anyone know if a microRendu can do 512DSD with a new Superclock USB GG? If not, how fast can it handle?

If the GG/microRendu combo can process 512, it appears that the necessary CPU power is substantial. I wonder what the maximum (consistently stable) upsampling speed is that my Mac mini will be able to process? The mini’s specs are: Intel Core i7-3615QM, 2.30 gigahertz; Multi-core (4 total); 16MB RAM; SSD; Windows 8.1 (bootcamp).

Additionally, it appears that HQPlayer has 2 control applications: 1) muso; 2) Alchemy Desktop. I wonder which is preferred? If you’re not using Roon, what are you using to interface with HQPlayer? I have both a Windows Tablet (Surface Pro 3) and an iPad.

As can be imagined, I can't wait to get my new GG. I love the Big7. But after acquiring new monoblocks that were specifically designed for balanced inputs, I thought I might as well "properly" feed them and obtain a balanced DAC with all the recent upgrades that my B7 didn't have.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I run jriver as the front end to HQ player. I have them both open on my PC and drag and drop from jriver to HQP. Couldn't be any easier.

Your Mac mini going to struggle upsampling to 512. DSD256 should work fine but going to 512 requires quite a bit of horsepower. Most people are using CUDA to offload some of the procession requirements.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Mike et al,

Pending the receipt of my newly ordered Bal GG -- which is replacing my SE Big7 -- I too am interested in your response to christoph’s question about HQPlayer settings for your GG.

Also, it would be helpful if you advise what: "Ed is going to install another interface other than Roon that is less restrictive for me"?

Now that I will be getting the latest SOTA, 512DSD GG, I’m interested in trying HQPlayer with a microRendu.

Presently, I’m simply using the following setup: 3tb HD/Firewire/Mac mini/Bootcamp/Fidelizer/JRiver. It appears that the learning curve is rather steep to go to a HQPlayer/microRendu/GG setup.

Does anyone know if a microRendu can do 512DSD with a new Superclock USB GG? If not, how fast can it handle?

If the GG/microRendu combo can process 512, it appears that the necessary CPU power is substantial. I wonder what the maximum (consistently stable) upsampling speed is that my Mac mini will be able to process? The mini’s specs are: Intel Core i7-3615QM, 2.30 gigahertz; Multi-core (4 total); 16MB RAM; SSD; Windows 8.1 (bootcamp).

Additionally, it appears that HQPlayer has 2 control applications: 1) muso; 2) Alchemy Desktop. I wonder which is preferred? If you’re not using Roon, what are you using to interface with HQPlayer? I have both a Windows Tablet (Surface Pro 3) and an iPad.

As can be imagined, I can't wait to get my new GG. I love the Big7. But after acquiring new monoblocks that were specifically designed for balanced inputs, I thought I might as well "properly" feed them and obtain a balanced DAC with all the recent upgrades that my B7 didn't have.
Microrendu by itself will not be able to upsample anything. I any case, you will need another computer to run on it HQplayer and Roon Core. Maybe something like this: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/.../products/sonictransporter-ap-8tb-roon-server. Although, I am not sure it is powerful enough to upsample to 512.
Also, your GG will not support 256 and 512, unless the computer, where HQplayer is installed, runs Windows. This is limitation of Linux and the current Amanero USB module in the Lampizator DACs. The future software update should solve this issue. Also, there are rumors that a new Amanero module is coming in the next couple of months.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Microrendu by itself will not be able to upsample anything. I any case, you will need another computer to run on it HQplayer and Roon Core. Maybe something like this: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/.../products/sonictransporter-ap-8tb-roon-server. Although, I am not sure it is powerful enough to upsample to 512.
Also, your GG will not support 256 and 512, unless the computer, where HQplayer is installed, runs Windows. This is limitation of Linux and the current Amanero USB module in the Lampizator DACs. The future software update should solve this issue. Also, there are rumors that a new Amanero module is coming in the next couple of months.

I believe you need a 6700K or equivalent to be able to upsample to DSD512. Currently I am using a 6950x which can also handle the job without any hickups.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Microrendu is LINUX, so nothing more than DSD128 at the moment (even if you have a Windows i7 Skylake audio PC in front of it). Linux itself was recently updated to handle 512, but Amanero needs to finalize firmware to accept this, and perhaps Microrendu needs to upgrade the version of Linux it uses as well to the current capable version.

Amanero's module has great software and the weakest point was clocking hardware. The Lampi Superclock option has overcome this, but I also heard that Amanero will have their own new version with upgraded clocks built in. This would obviously mean that Lampi could possibly discontinue their own mods and instead offer a standard USB module or the premium one as an option...assuming the Amanero premium souds as good or better than the Superclock mod.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I dont see them revealing what Processor is used and I would suspect that the casing does not do enough heatsinking to have a Skylake or better running BOTH Roon and HQP, so I dont thisnk this PC server is good enough.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
yes, a little. I was able to use those filters and organize the titles by format.

unfortunately many of my favorite files were not recognized by Roon 1.2. so for now I'm just missing those files. according to Ed, it's possible that Roon 1.3, coming out in a few months, will be more flexible in terms of the type of file names and types it will recognize.

from my perspective; Roon is not yet ready for prime time compared to JRiver. JRiver easily recognizes every file and access is super quick and easy. I do respect that Roon's interface is slick, works great with Tidal, and includes MQA now. but.......I want all my files. that is job one for any file organization product for me.

Ed is going to install another interface other than Roon that is less restrictive for me (I can't recall the name right now) that should allow all my files to play.

later when I have time I will try to respond about these questions.

Hi Mike. Although Ed knows a lot about Roon and its inner workings I have a suggestion for you. If you have not already tried it. You should go to the Roon forum and post your problem. Besides the help from the community the developers from Roon are very active there and are very helpful. I not saying they have a solution but they might be working on one and when it is expected.

https://community.roonlabs.com/

I hope that helps.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Amanero's module has great software and the weakest point was clocking hardware. The Lampi Superclock option has overcome this, but I also heard that Amanero will have their own new version with upgraded clocks built in. This would obviously mean that Lampi could possibly discontinue their own mods and instead offer a standard USB module or the premium one as an option...assuming the Amanero premium souds as good or better than the Superclock mod.

This makes me reconsider if I should opt for the dsd512 and superclock options now as I don't have an appropriate source for such a task yet and don't have a definite plan how to get one. SGM outside my budget and diy pc not an option for me.
To try out dsd I could always use the dsd256 included and see what the future brings regarding sources, usb boards etc.

Having compared the microRendu against a full out pc solution the difference wasn't really substantial.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
This makes me reconsider if I should opt for the dsd512 and superclock options now as I don't have an appropriate source for such a task yet and don't have a definite plan how to get one. SGM outside my budget and diy pc not an option for me.
To try out dsd I could always use the dsd256 included and see what the future brings regarding sources, usb boards etc.

Having compared the microRendu against a full out pc solution the difference wasn't really substantial.

The outboard DSD module is much better. Using the R2R DSD does not give you a good idea of the full potential of DSD, IMO.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015

Could you elaborate a bit on the comparison please? Which sounded best to you, and what entailed the full out pc solution?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
yes, a little. I was able to use those filters and organize the titles by format.

unfortunately many of my favorite files were not recognized by Roon 1.2. so for now I'm just missing those files. according to Ed, it's possible that Roon 1.3, coming out in a few months, will be more flexible in terms of the type of file names and types it will recognize.

Maybe some of your files are SACD ISO ones ? Roon does not play those (cannot extract on the fly). JRiver does.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe some of your files are SACD ISO ones ? Roon does not play those (cannot extract on the fly). JRiver does.

turns out I was wrong to have blamed my missing files on Roon.

two weeks ago I discovered my NAS had been hacked, an encryption virus was planted on my server, and it slowly took away all my files. once this was discovered; my son removed the bad NAS, installed the back up NAS and make it 'write only' and I now have all my files on Roon......with zero issues. it is still challenging to find stuff with the Roon interface, but it is all there.

as far as 'extract on the fly' I was told that Roon does routinely find and map new files, but I have not personally seen that.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
as far as 'extract on the fly' I was told that Roon does routinely find and map new files, but I have not personally seen that.

Roon cannot decode SACD ISO files which is why it will never show them.

Not many people keep SACD ISO files though (I do, as I like keeping stuff in native format, to avoid reripping my SACD collection in the future).

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Adam...I am an iso guy too...so good to know. To me Roon is just a nice interface to HQP....but hqp can play isos by itself, so hopefully Roon fixes this shortfall in a timely manner.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Audio Note DAC 5 v Big 7?

Long ball maybe, but has anyone here owned the Audio Note DAC 4 or DAC 5 and now has the Lampi Big 7 or Golden Gate? I have the DAC 5 and although quite old now, still sounds damb good in my system. I am wondering if the Big 7 would surpass my DAC. I don't have funds for a GG.

I normally prefer NOS Redbook. Can you feed up sampled PCM at 256 DSD via the SPDIF input on a Big 7? I want to keep my AOIP network and not go back to USB.

Any advice guys, would be great.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The UK distro has a client who made the switch from Dac 5 to GG. But that guy is not active on forums

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Audio Note DAC 5 v Big 7?

Long ball maybe, but has anyone here owned the Audio Note DAC 4 or DAC 5 and now has the Lampi Big 7 or Golden Gate? I have the DAC 5 and although quite old now, still sounds damb good in my system. I am wondering if the Big 7 would surpass my DAC. I don't have funds for a GG.

I normally prefer NOS Redbook. Can you feed up sampled PCM at 256 DSD via the SPDIF input on a Big 7? I want to keep my AOIP network and not go back to USB.

Any advice guys, would be great.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Astro.

DSD on the Big7 is ONLY by USB. DSD and PCM engines are separate. PCM is R2R and DSD is "chipless" discrete decoder.

Perhaps the Golden Atlantic may be better suited to you (if you are not bothered about tube rolling)?
Not sure what SPDIF max is. I have only ever used it with spinners, but I guess with a USB/SPdif converter (off Ramp, etc) it could take HiRez PCM too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing