Ypsilon Electronics Forum

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Here is the place to discuss about Ypsilon Electronics.
If you own, auditioned or want to discuss about Ypsilon gear please feel free to write on this forum.

Attachments

• AELIUS_1_600.jpg
    AELIUS_1_600.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 467
  • PST100-MKII_EXTERNAL1_3-4_FRONT_600.jpg
    PST100-MKII_EXTERNAL1_3-4_FRONT_600.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 512

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great! Would love to know more about the Ypsilon DAC/Transport from those who've heard it. I have heard their Ref Monos on YG Anat Ref IIs years ago along with Boulder 2010? digital ref at that time. Incredibly clear and incisive. Could not tell what was what since it was new to me, but i certainly was impressed by the power that seemed to drive the YGs. And i have read great things about their digital.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
After reading the Ypsilon PST-100 MK2 manual it seems there is no balance control in this unit. Am I correct?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Yep. That is correct. No balance control on the preamp.

Thanks for confirming.

Weird. I am not aware of any other preamp without a balance control.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for confirming.

Weird. I am not aware of any other preamp without a balance control.

It is curious. I would think twice before getting a preamplifier without balance control, but as far as I remember I only used it to mute channels for checkup and measurements. As modern preamps have a remote that changes very slowly I got used to removing the cables - much faster and expedite. :eek:

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
With great regret I'm selling my prized YPSILON VPS 100 PHONOSTAGE. see ad on this forum

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

pr1nce

Jul 12, 2016
I have purchased new Phaethon Integrated amplifier some time ago. All I can say that it cured me from desperate seek of SET sound in tube amplifiers. Finally I've got SET sound with 100W of power and low distortion. No hum, no buzz, no noise.

I would never expect that during my lifetime I will be able to find, not to even mention owning a hybrid or solid state amplifier with SET sound.
I have owned around 20 different SET amplifiers in the past: Air Tight ATM-211 monoblocks, Line Magnetic LM845, Destination Audio 45 type tube monoblocks, Sun Audio 2A3 integrated, many 300B, Luxman A3550 Push Pull, Phast 6c33c integrated. I did not owned, but heard many times at my friends systems: Kondo Souga, Ongaku, Don Garber FI Audio, Jadis 845 NEC,

Phaethon is build like with principles of classic SE or PSE tube amplifier. It is different to most of the solid state or hybrid amplifiers. If you are a technician - try to find pictures, read articles and you will understand how pure and short signal path is implemented. No multiple RC (resistor -capacitor) stages.
Two of three amplification stages is build like classical tube amp: First triode then TVC then second triode then Interstage/Phase splitter.
I would like to recommend this integrated amplifier especially to people who always preferred to choose low powered SET amplifiers instead of high power push-pull or solid state of any kind.
If you seek for ultimate power of speaker control - Gryphon will be better I guess. But If you seek for live performance, transparency and livilnes of a TOP quality SE tube amp - please listen to Phaethon, preferably with 5687 NOS tubes.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I have purchased new Phaethon Integrated amplifier some time ago. All I can say that it cured me from desperate seek of SET sound in tube amplifiers. Finally I've got SET sound with 100W of power and low distortion. No hum, no buzz, no noise.

I would never expect that during my lifetime I will be able to find, not to even mention owning a hybrid or solid state amplifier with SET sound.
I have owned around 20 different SET amplifiers in the past: Air Tight ATM-211 monoblocks, Line Magnetic LM845, Destination Audio 45 type tube monoblocks, Sun Audio 2A3 integrated, many 300B, Luxman A3550 Push Pull, Phast 6c33c integrated. I did not owned, but heard many times at my friends systems: Kondo Souga, Ongaku, Don Garber FI Audio, Jadis 845 NEC,

Phaethon is build like with principles of classic SE or PSE tube amplifier. It is different to most of the solid state or hybrid amplifiers. If you are a technician - try to find pictures, read articles and you will understand how pure and short signal path is implemented. No multiple RC (resistor -capacitor) stages.
Two of three amplification stages is build like classical tube amp: First triode then TVC then second triode then Interstage/Phase splitter.
I would like to recommend this integrated amplifier especially to people who always preferred to choose low powered SET amplifiers instead of high power push-pull or solid state of any kind.
If you seek for ultimate power of speaker control - Gryphon will be better I guess. But If you seek for live performance, transparency and livilnes of a TOP quality SE tube amp - please listen to Phaethon, preferably with 5687 NOS tubes.
Gongrats on your purchase, Phaethon is one of the most refined integrated on the market if i didn't have difficult speakers like the ones i own Phaethon would have been on my short list.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
I have purchased new Phaethon Integrated amplifier some time ago. All I can say that it cured me from desperate seek of SET sound in tube amplifiers. Finally I've got SET sound with 100W of power and low distortion.

Congrats and welcome to the family... :)

If you seek for ultimate power of speaker control - Gryphon will be better I guess. But If you seek for live performance, transparency and livilnes of a TOP quality SE tube amp - please listen to Phaethon

+1

pr1nce

Jul 12, 2016
Gongrats on your purchase, Phaethon is one of the most refined integrated on the market if i didn't have difficult speakers like the ones i own Phaethon would have been on my short list.
Thank you. I believe your Gryphon is in the short list of TOP integrated amplifiers ever made, but focus on other areas than Ypsilon. Same level of performance with strenghts located elsewhere.
Congrats and welcome to the family... :)

+1
Thank you :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...I have heard the Ypsilon Ref Monos many years ago at the importer's. Very impressive!

Reactions: pr1nce

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing