New racks from YG Acoustics! [w/ impressive video!]

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
YG AcousticsTM Rack 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 – straightforward, no-nonsense, precise science... handmade in U.S.A.

YG AcousticsTM
, the leading ultra-high-end speakermanufacturer, is proud to introduce its first audio rack series: Rack 1.3, 1.4 and1.6.
YG AcousticsTM’ Rack series was initially designed as a tool for internal use. The factory’s critical listening room needed a vibration-free, solid platform to allow equipment to play under optimal conditions. In a challenging environment, full of hostile vibration, other equipment racks couldn’t deliver the desired result.
When designing Rack 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6, YG Acoustics adhered to its core values: straightforward, no-nonsense, precise science. The result is a rack series that isolates equipment from vibration extremely well. This is partly thanks to the fact that each shelf can be optimized in minutes for the weight of the specific component that it supports.
A video that demonstrates the effectiveness of YG Acoustics Rack 1.3 can be found here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frHS3V5o3k8&feature=youtu.be

Expansions and Upgrades

As with YG AcousticsTM’ world-famous speakers, Rack 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 are modular. The construction allows for the addition of shelves, and for horizontal expansion, without the need to replace the existing Rack.

Specifications

Available configurations:
Rack 1.3 * 3 shelves
Rack 1.4 * 4 shelves
Rack 1.6 * 6 shelves (3 high, 2 wide)

Other configurations available upon request

Shelf space:

Internal width * 60 cm (23.6”)
Internal depth * open construction, limited mainly by desired outer dimensions Internal height * adjustable in 2.5 cm (1”) increments

Uniform load limit:
Bottom shelf * up to 97 kg (214 lbs)
Top/middle shelf * up to 61 kg (135 lbs)

Outer dimensions:
Rack 1.3 * 59x65x54 cm (23x26x22”) HxWxD
Rack 1.4 * 87x65x54 cm (35x26x22”) HxWxD
Rack 1.6 * 59x127x54 cm (23x50x22”) HxWxD

Net weight:
Rack 1.3 * 51 kg (112 lbs)
Rack 1.4 * 69 kg (152 lbs)
Rack 1.6 * 97 kg (213 lbs)

Price:
U.S. MSRP starting at $14,850

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for posting this information. It is interesting how YG and Magico are both offering vibration/isolation products. I wonder how these racks compare to Critical Mass and to HRS. I would have liked to see vibrations of different frequencies hitting the rack at different locations and what happens when the entire floor vibrates like suspended floors do with loud speakers or concrete floors with low, inaudible frequencies. Perhaps a video of their rack in their listening room with sensors on the shelves while the milling machines and music are on.

I could place a penny on end on the plinth of my turntable prior to any additional isolation, but I noticed a big improvement in sonics when I added a Vibraplane underneath my turntable.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
While these racks are certainly impressive, for that price I wonder if investments in other parts of the system do not offer greater benefits.

And when it comes to vibrations, taking care of vibrations that have direct acoustic effects, loudspeaker vibrations and glass vibrations (if you have windows), may be more beneficial. For glass vibrations, lamination of windows will minimize these, perhaps additionally aided by curtains.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I could place a penny on end on the plinth of my turntable prior to any additional isolation, but I noticed a big improvement in sonics when I added a Vibraplane underneath my turntable.

Can you keep the penny there with that much vibration going in the same rack, in the shelf below? :)

Everything I've heard/read about the active systems (Vibraplane, Herzen, etc) is indeed fantastic. But this is a fully passive solution.

As with a lot of things in audio, there are many ways to get "there"!

Clearly, the goal here is to show that any and all vibrations are dealt with, even ones coming from within the rack itself. That's why the video shows massive vibrations being generated just one shelf below the CD player with the glass on top and the coin...

Ah, interesting thing: the most expensive YG rack costs the same as the cheapest Magico rack...

PS: I'll have more info after CES!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Can you keep the penny there with that much vibration going in the same rack, in the shelf below? :)

Everything I've heard/read about the active systems (Vibraplane, Herzen, etc) is indeed fantastic. But this is a fully passive solution.

As with a lot of things in audio, there are many ways to get "there"!

Clearly, the goal here is to show that any and all vibrations are dealt with, even ones coming from within the rack itself. That's why the video shows massive vibrations being generated just one shelf below the CD player with the glass on top and the coin...

Ah, interesting thing: the most expensive YG rack costs the same as the cheapest Magico rack...

PS: I'll have more info after CES!

Asiufy, I don't know about keeping a penny on my turntable with that much vibration one shelf down. I've never tried it, but I did just get a penny and did three less severe tests. I placed a penny on end on my armboard, on my top plinth shelf and on my platter. I banged by fist on the second shelf on my rack and got no movement from the penny. I then banged the front and side of the rack and with no movement. I then tapped my turntable top shelf on the sides and top with no movement from the penny. I did not tap or bang the platter or the armboard for fear of causing damage. The SME and Vibraplane seem to pass these tests.

I'm sorry that my point with the coin was not made clearer. I could place a coin or a glass of water on the plinth of my turntable and not notice any movement with either, implying that the plinth surface, on which the armboard is mounted, had no visible, or detectible, vibration. Yet, with the addition of a dedicated isolation platform, I was able to notice a significant audible improvement. That implies to me that a visibly still coin or glass of water is not an indication of a vibration free surface.

I have not tested my DIY audio rack with air bladder isolation platforms against something as expensive and scientifically engineered as these YG racks. And I am not claiming that one outperforms the other, simply that that marketing video may not tell the whole story about the effectiveness of these devices. Minus-K has a similar video with a glass of wine on a platform sitting on a highly agitated surface. There is a video of a Magico Q7 blasting out low frequencies with a glass of water on the speaker's top plate with no ripples. I think there may be a more convincing ways to demonstrate the effectiveness of these racks similar to the vibration attenuation/isolation graphs on the websites of Herzan and Vibraplane showing results with different cycles of vibration.

I am pleased that more manufacturers are attempting to address the issues of vibrations and how they effect performance of audio components. It is an important topic.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree isolation and vibration control is important, and I have to admit I've been been lazy (and negligent) not to investigate one of those active solutions, as they've seemed to provide better performance for the buck than the usual passive players out there.

The manufacturers always have to strike a balance between the really geeky and the pure marketing fluff in their communication. I thought the video was a good mix, with some solid visual proof, and again, was good for what it was meant for. Knowing YG, if you (or anybody else) needs further convincing, in the form of graphs or other tests, those are most likely an email away!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A couple of observations:

1. The video is a bit frustrating as it does not show specifically how the shelves work...are the inserts on tip toes? On sorbothane? How does one adjust the mix of direct couple versus isolation?

2. They look purty but $15K for a small rack is stupid expensive.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
2. They look purty but $15K for a small rack is stupid expensive.

I am not even sure if I like the looks. I prefer something more straightforward, like my Solidsteel rack (not that it can compare ;)).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing