Upcoming Italian extravaganza on Zero distortion

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, yr Odeons and the AG Duos look at least superficially similar in terms of driver complement, ie tweeter and mids horns, w bass/lwr mids fully covered by dynamic drivers subs
IMHO, the Duos at Blue58's are the only horns I've heard that are totally capable of getting down'n'dirty w rock, dance, electronic, fusion, prog etc, although still a different presentation than I'm used to w my Zus
In yr estimation, how do you compare and contrast them, because if I ever move to horns, 18 months of regular exposure to ever evolving Duos at Blue's makes them the logical choice, but there are interesting alternatives like yr Odeons, and new Sadurnis out there

You are thinking of Odeon models like the No. 32, which have a horn tweeter and mid with a conventional bass reflex woofer. The one I own is a two way with a front horn tweeter and a 10 inch midbass loaded into a back horn that gets down to 40 Hz or so. Not at all like an AG Duo.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad, yr Odeons and the AG Duos look at least superficially similar in terms of driver complement, ie tweeter and mids horns, w bass/lwr mids fully covered by dynamic drivers subs
IMHO, the Duos at Blue58's are the only horns I've heard that are totally capable of getting down'n'dirty w rock, dance, electronic, fusion, prog etc, although still a different presentation than I'm used to w my Zus
In yr estimation, how do you compare and contrast them, because if I ever move to horns, 18 months of regular exposure to ever evolving Duos at Blue's makes them the logical choice, but there are interesting alternatives like yr Odeons, and new Sadurnis out there

The 32s are really good though, btw...

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Read with interest this great report. Since I live only 100 miles away from gigi60 and Pietro (both well-known in other Italian forum) I hope to make a visit to their systems in the future.
And hope to have another chance to meet bonzo75 (and MikeL. obviously).
Here in Torino tea and coffee are provided without reserve!
cheers
Marco

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Read with interest this great report. Since I live only 100 miles away from gigi60 and Pietro (both well-known in other Italian forum) I hope to make a visit to their systems in the future.
And hope to have another chance to meet bonzo75 (and MikeL. obviously).
Here in Torino tea and coffee are provided without reserve!
cheers
Marco

So now we also have an EA MM3 in Italy :D.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, what model do you own?
The Odeon website isn't the most user friendly one, my German isn't the greatest

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Odeon website isn't the most user friendly one, my German isn't the greatest

I own a model called the La Boheme, which you won't find on their website because it is no longer made. It was their biggest Full horn design. I also have their smallest Full horn design, the Rigoletto.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The Anthony Bourdain of Audio is hard at work again! Keep those reports coming, Ked!

Congrats.
I really love this "Anthony Bourdain of Audio" title. Absolutely excellent and I would have loved to come up with this myself :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Marc

I much prefer the bigger Odeon models (No 32 and No 38) over the Avantgarde Duos.
You are welcome to listen to them, driven by SET power ;-)

Have you ever heard the hORNS Universum? I REALLY liked those in Munich this Year!

How big is your new listening cathedral?

Cheers,
Christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Christoph, I'm just currently reinstalling my system in the new
roof/loft space
12m deep, 5.5m wide, midline apex height 3m (descending roofline either side to 1.3m high sidewalls)
66 sq m/130 cub m

I've had continued exposure to Blue58's AG Duos w his own design 45 tube amps, initially w Audio Aero La Fontaine cdp, and now SGM streamer/T&A Dac8

Despite certain shortcomings, I find the Duos really excellent all rounders, comfortably surpassing alternatives like the Tune Audio Animas, Pnoes etc

My current amps of choice are NATs Audio Utopia pre/SE2SEs

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Wow, that's really a audiophile's dream room!
Those measurements give you a lot of flexibility.

You prefer the Avantgarde Duos over the Animas? Really?

You should try and listen to a pair of Odeon No 32 or maybe for your football field of a room, better a No 38.

What's your take on the hORNS Universum?
I absolutely loved them in Munich this year, driven by rather modest amps, it sounded really awesome!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christolph, I really don't take to the Animas. Not at all
The mids horn crosses to the tweeter horn at 1.5k, this really doesn't make any sense to me
I find the sound harsh, forward yet vague, and the moment rock starts playing, everything falls apart
But hey, that's me, there are plenty of fans like Ked, Frank and y'self obviously
The Duos are not perfect, but the sound is much more welcoming when it comes to rock, electronic, dance, prog, fusion
IMHO, YMMV etc
Odeons unfortunately aren't sold in the UK, and the website in German is a bit of a barrier
I'm going to investigate Sadurni Staccato and Miracoli horns from US, and Tobian Soundsystems Monitor 18 horns from Switzerland

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I have never heard about the US horns you mention. Will have to google them.
I read about Tobian and that they are from Switzerland but I have never actually heard them.
Where in Switzerland are they from? Are you going to visit Tobian?
If you do, maybe I could join you and we could end up at my place to listen to the Odeons (and Apogees).

Still no statement regarding the hORNS Universum? I guess you must have heard them some time...?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Christoph, that sounds like fun
Atm, I'm just at the point when I'm seriously considering horns
I've had some desire to consider Apogees too, but my contact in the UK has gone a little quiet, and I'm reluctant to drop SETs to go down this route
I remain torn on the subject of horns, loving what they present in terms of immediacy and palpability, but unsold on how anything other than acoustic instruments and female voice can sound schizophrenic thru them
Re Universum, I think I have heard them at a show, but I really can't recall
They are sold in the UK by G Point Audio, should I reconsider them?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Just tell me when you are going to visit Tobian and will tag along if time permits.
You should definitely give the Universums a listen, when you have the dealer nearby. I would take Universums over the Avantgardes any day.

Regarding Rock and Funk and Electronica etc.:
My Odeon No 32 are at a friends house atm and there *, they produce the best bass I have heard so far, EVER !
Since then he is grinning from ear to ear and he listens very loud and is a real bass addict

*My main listening room is really huge and unfortunately a bit of a bass black hole :rolleyes:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have never heard about the US horns you mention. Will have to google them.
I read about Tobian and that they are from Switzerland but I have never actually heard them.
Where in Switzerland are they from? Are you going to visit Tobian?
If you do, maybe I could join you and we could end up at my place to listen to the Odeons (and Apogees).

Still no statement regarding the hORNS Universum? I guess you must have heard them some time...?

You guys could probably count me in on that and you could hear my horns as well if time permits.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
A horns tour sounds like fun
I'm seriously compromised on funds having spent £40k/€50k on converting my roof/loft space into a dedicated listening room, but am happy to do some r&d for future potential purchase
FWIW, I really do need to see how my current gear pans out in the new space, so no rush just yet into horns

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok guys, that was one exhaustive write-up, and don't think I have done justice to it. Anyway view this as the first part. Not only do I expect to update this after reflection, but future trips will clarify a few things further

http://zero-distortion.org/the-italian-over-the-top-road-trip/

Most of the stuff was written on the same day and at the airports, to be honest to memories and impressions. It is the pics loading, and sectioning that takes more time.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ok guys, that was one exhaustive write-up, and don't think I have done justice to it. Anyway view this as the first part. Not only do I expect to update this after reflection, but future trips will clarify a few things further

http://zero-distortion.org/the-italian-over-the-top-road-trip/

Most of the stuff was written on the same day and at the airports, to be honest to memories and impressions. It is the pics loading, and sectioning that takes more time.

Perfect timing, I am visiting family in Florida and have time on my hands. I will most certainly enjoy this read, thank you!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
It was a pleasure to have Ked with us,
we enjoy some days together.
But what i and my friends didnt understood is if Ked prefer to listen music
or eat food in our italian restaurant.
Ked seems more exciting to go to restaurant instead listen some system

Hi Ked,see you next time
Gianluigi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It was a pleasure to have Ked with us,
we enjoy some days together.
But what i and my friends didnt understood is if Ked prefer to listen music
or eat food in our italian restaurant.
Ked seems more exciting to go to restaurant instead listen some system

Hi Ked,see you next time
Gianluigi

Haha - tough to choose between two of my favorite evils

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing