Do you use XLR or RCA single ended to your near speaker located amps?

XLR or RCA Single Ended, for amps located by speakers

• Total voters

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Pseudo balanced is a confusing and non standard mode.

There's nothing confusing in it.

It is a valid way of making an intermediate enhancement to what was a formerly single-ended inter-connection with an RCA. The RCA 'shield-is-also-return' is a very flawed implementation.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Currently 4.5m (15 feet) RCA. Previously 7.5 and 9m XLR.

The choice is only due to the equipment being used. IMHO none is intrinsically better than the other.

If you have found that balanced sound less good than RCA, there could be a weird issue in your system. You have to check for the balanced 'Pin 1 problem' in that case.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There's nothing confusing in it.

It is a valid way of making an intermediate enhancement to what was a formerly single-ended inter-connection with an RCA. The RCA 'shield-is-also-return' is a very flawed implementation.

Floating, Pseudo, and Quasi-Balancing modes are confusing to audiophiles, and many times incorrectly used. Just use google to find the number of people asking for clarification on this subject, even in professional forums.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
For the folks who have SE, why do you think you have to qualify your answer about its sound reproduction?

There really shouldn't be a sound difference between the two!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you have found that balanced sound less good than RCA, there could be a weird issue in your system. You have to check for the balanced 'Pin 1 problem' in that case.

Many times it is just a question of preference in the whole system. Long ago, at my Jeff Rowland and Krell days we tried balanced and unbalanced with the same brand of XLR and RCA cables. They sounded rather different in the different modes and sometimes there was no consensus between listeners.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Many times it is just a question of preference in the whole system. Long ago, at my Jeff Rowland and Krell days we tried balanced and unbalanced with the same brand of XLR and RCA cables. They sounded rather different in the different modes and sometimes there was no consensus between listeners.

For that assessment to be taken into consideration, it should be known and mentioned whether the equipment had the Pin 1 issue or not...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Floating, Pseudo, and Quasi-Balancing modes are confusing to audiophiles, and many times incorrectly used. Just use google to find the number of people asking for clarification on this subject, even in professional forums.

There are all sorts of questions about everything. Doesn't mean everything is confusing...

In fact it is quite simple: pseudo-balanced is not true balanced. In that respect, it doesn't provide as good a signal-to-noise ration as true balanced.

Nothing confusing about it, and all very logical considering how it's named.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I use 8 meters of 'zeel' interconnects between the darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp, and the NHB-458 mono block amplifiers.

the 'zeel' is a single ended cable, but instead of RCA plugs, it uses the mechanically superior BNC interface. and; instead of 75 ohms it uses 50 ohms. the 'zeel' interface is 'said' to sound exactly the same (a little better than conventional interconnects) no matter what the length up to .5 kilometer. it is claimed that having a properly executed 'perfect' 50 ohm output and input eliminates smearing and echo's otherwise present in conventional interconnects.

over an 11 year period of my observation it has been my experience that the claims for the 'zeel' interface are true......but that is just my 2 cents, YMMV, and all that stuff.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
There are all sorts of questions about everything. Doesn't mean everything is confusing...

In fact it is quite simple: pseudo-balanced is not true balanced. In that respect, it doesn't provide as good a signal-to-noise ration as true balanced.

Nothing confusing about it, and all very logical considering how it's named.

Pseudo balanced as implemented by Lamm is not even balanced. Some pseudo-balanced implementations are impedance balanced. If you prefer to ignore these differences life becomes very simple ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For the folks who have SE, why do you think you have to qualify your answer about its sound reproduction?

There really shouldn't be a sound difference between the two!

I totally agree Bruce. What I was implying was that there is no drop out with a 9 meter cable

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Some good info from Rane:

Floating, Pseudo, and Quasi-Balancing

During inspection, you may run across a 1/4" output called floating unbalanced, sometimes also called pseudo-balanced or quasi-balanced. In this configuration, the sleeve of the output stage is not connected inside the unit and the ring is connected (usually through a small resistor) to the audio signal ground. This allows the tip and ring to "appear" as an equal impedance, not-quite balanced output stage, even though the output circuitry is unbalanced.

Floating unbalanced often works to drive either a balanced or unbalanced input, depending if a TS or TRS standard cable is plugged into it. When it hums, a special cable is required. See drawings #11 and #12, and do not make the cross-coupled modification of tying the ring and sleeve together.

Summary

If you are unable to do things correctly (i.e. use fully balanced wiring with shields tied to the chassis at the point of entry, or transformer isolate all unbalanced signals from balanced signals) then there is no guarantee that a hum free interconnect can be achieved, nor is there a definite scheme that will assure noise-free operation in all configurations.

Winning the Wiring Wars

- Use balanced connections whenever possible, with the shield bonded to the metal chassis at both ends.
- Transformer isolate all unbalanced connections from balanced connections.
- Use special cable assemblies when unbalanced lines cannot be transformer isolated.
- Any unbalanced cable must be kept under ten feet (three meters) in length. Lengths longer than this will amplify all the nasty side effects of unbalanced circuitry's ground loops.
- When all else fails, digitize everything, use fiber optic cable and enter a whole new realm of problems.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Pseudo balanced as implemented by Lamm is not even balanced. Some pseudo-balanced implementations are impedance balanced. If you prefer to ignore these differences life becomes very simple ...

A pseudo anything is never the real thing.

A pseudo diamond isn't a diamond.

Pseudo gold isn't gold.

A pseudo girl isn't a girl at all...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I use 8 meters of 'zeel' interconnects between the darTZeel NHB-18NS preamp, and the NHB-458 mono block amplifiers.

the 'zeel' is a single ended cable, but instead of RCA plugs, it uses the mechanically superior BNC interface. and; instead of 75 ohms it uses 50 ohms. the 'zeel' interface is 'said' to sound exactly the same (a little better than conventional interconnects) no matter what the length up to .5 kilometer. it is claimed that having a properly executed 'perfect' 50 ohm output and input eliminates smearing and echo's otherwise present in conventional interconnects.

over an 11 year period of my observation it has been my experience that the claims for the 'zeel' interface are true......but that is just my 2 cents, YMMV, and all that stuff.

I believe the ground is also a shield, which means they reject more RF than other SE cables.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Is the purpose of the poll for XLR and the sonic boost? or is it for the security of the terminations.

IOW Lamm uses XLR inputs to amps and outputs from the preamp however they are pseudo balanced

I just wanted to know if SE were popular enough for me to invest time in, for something that blocks noise (RF) and makes SE perform as well or better than XLR in that regard.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
These arguments, this time in the guise of a poll, are largely pointless and irrelevant. The requirements for signal distribution in a studio or professional environment are different than what is needed in a home audio system. Recording studios and post production labs have multiple components that capture, transmit and manipulate the audio signal and the various components can be very far apart. For these environments, true balanced lines with differential signaling help prevent the introduction of external EMI/RFI to the audio signal.

In a home audio system many components do not have balanced inputs or outputs. So the only possible method of signal interconnection is through a single-ended interface which usually means, RCA, BNC or phone jack connectors. So, for these systems the relevant question would be how to maximize signal integrity and minimize the introduction of noise and hum. This can be accomplished by using cables specifically designed for single-ended transmission and by keeping the cables relatively short. Generally, it is best to keep cables under 3 meters in length however lengths over 10 meters are possible without any problems.

Home audio components that have XLR connectors may or may not have "balanced interfaces". There needs to be a definition of terms first. We need to discuss the three elements involved in a signal transmisison. There is the sending interface, the interconnecting cable and the receiving interface. Lets start with the receiving interface. It is designed to receive a symetrical differential signal. This signal is fed to a driver that amplifies only the difference between to hot(+) and cold(-) signal wires. Common mode noise is therefore eliminated. But this is only true IF the signal that arrives at the input to the receiving interface is actually "symetrical". In a balanced transmission there are two signal wires. Both carry the signal but they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. They must each have exactly the same impedance to ground. This also means that the sending interface must send a symetrical signal. Only if the sending interface sends a symetrical signal AND the interconnecting cable preserve that symetrical signal integrity AND the receiving interface is a differential interface designed to receive a symetrical signal will the potential benefits of "balanced transmission" be realised.

In a pro environment the equipment is usually designed with true differential interfaces. In home audio it is all over the map - there is no consistently used standard across brands and manufacturers.

Shocker: Balanced connections don't necessarily sound the best if your equipment has both options available. Most electronics circuits are not differential through the amplification stages even if they provide balanced connections. To output a differential signal, the signal must be run through an audio transformer or through a buffer stage that creates a positive and negative differential signal. There are no perfect transformers and the extra differential stage can degrade the absolute signal purity as compared to a simple signal-ground output. This is why many designers of tube equipment only provide single-ended connections.

There is much more to it but that is enough for now I think.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agreed. I use the XLRs because I am concerned about the length and the security of the physical connections on my 10m runs.

Same here as far as using single ended Lamm gear. When I rotate to CH I get to use the same cables but this time fully balanced. All there is to it really.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
These arguments, this time in the guise of a poll, are largely pointless and irrelevant.

I would've closed the thread and just had a poll if it was an option... there is no guise. In fact I think you're downright insulting for saying otherwise. That is especially since you bother to preclude that way and then continue to post a lengthy bit after.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
In a pro environment the equipment is usually designed with true differential interfaces. In home audio it is all over the map - there is no consistently used standard across brands and manufacturers.

Voila
:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing