Do you use XLR or RCA single ended to your near speaker located amps?

XLR or RCA Single Ended, for amps located by speakers

• Total voters

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hi, I was just wondering how many people use RCA single ended vs. XLR cables to their amps that sit next to their speakers (longer runs).

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
XLR. XLR seems to work best with any component that offers it I have found, especially designs that give more gain with XLR like Audio Research. Since I got the Ref 5SE preamp, I have gradually been going all XLR. I like the positive connection of XLR and the better performance.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'll be honest I'm mostly interested in numbers. I've seen both personally, but I haven't seen as many systems as there are on here.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
12m XLR run

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Currently 4.5m (15 feet) RCA. Previously 7.5 and 9m XLR.

The choice is only due to the equipment being used. IMHO none is intrinsically better than the other.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Hi, I was just wondering how many people use RCA single ended vs. XLR cables to their amps that sit next to their speakers (longer runs).

I use the XLR's on my active speaker bed channels and RCa on my active speaker FH and RH channels.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One meter RCA single ended, DAC to amps. Not exactly a long run ;).

Ken Newton

Dec 11, 2012
XLRs enable balanced operation. Balanced operation cancels inter-component ground noise. Ground noise voltage between components causes ground noise current to flow across an unbalanced interconnect's ground conductor. Ground noise current through the resistance of the ground conductor then develops an undesired noise voltage that gets amplified by the system as though it were a desired signal. The greater the resistance of the interconnect's ground conductor the louder is any ground noise. Since unbalanced interconnect ground conductor resistance is proportional to the interconnect's length,mground noise is more audible with long unbalanced interconnects. I should note that ground noise current ( a form of common-mode noise) can also flow across a balanced signal interface, it's just that a balanced interface cancels noise common to both conductors by design.

Components having balanced outputs amplitude twice that of their single ended outputs probably utilize differential signal stage topology. Differential signal stages offer several benefits, such as reduction of even order distortion, reduced signal induced modulation of the power supply and increased effective slew rate. Differential circuitry is not, however, synonymous with an balanced signal interface. In fact, a single ended signal stage can utilize a balanced signal interface just as effectively as can a differential stage.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
XLRs enable balanced operation. Balanced operation cancels inter-component ground noise. Ground noise voltage between components causes ground noise current to flow across an unbalanced interconnect's ground conductor. Ground noise current through the resistance of the interconnect's ground conductor develops an undesired noise voltage that gets amplified by the system the same as would a desired signal. The greater the resistance of the interconnect's ground conductor the louder is any ground noise. Unbalanced interconnect ground conductor resistance is proportional to the interconnect's length, which makes a long unbalanced interconnect's noise more audible. I should note that ground noise current (aka; common-mode noise) can also flow across a balanced signal interface, it's just that a balanced interface cancels the noise common to both conductors by design.

Components having balanced outputs amplitude twice that of their single ended outputs probably utilize differential signal stage topology. Differential signal stages offer several benefits, such as reduction of even order distortion, reduced signal induced modulation of the power supply and increased effective slew rate. Differential circuitry is not, however, synonymous with an balanced signal interface. In fact, a single ended signal stage can utilize a balanced signal interface just as effectively as can a differential stage.

Unfortunately it is much more complicated than you summarize. Each system has its advantages and drawbacks. Cancellation of noise in balanced mode is not perfect - the common mode rejection ratio depends on frequency. Balanced mode changes the spectra of distortion of a signal in the way you say.

Because balanced mode cancels the easily and immediately audible low frequency hum people tend to believe this it is a perfect mode - far from being true. Although balanced is almost mandatory in professional use, in domestic listening rooms we can afford to choice according to our beliefs and preferences.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
My main interest is knowing the "why's" of each of us ...

In the manual of my pre/pro it said the XLR connections were better. When I compared the XLR to RCA in stereo the XLR sounded like nothing, like there wasn't even a cable, no constraint in dynamics what so ever. My RH channels were connected using a wireless device so i didn't have to run a long cable from the front of the room. That device only offered RCA connections so I used the same cable for FH and RH.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is the purpose of the poll for XLR and the sonic boost? or is it for the security of the terminations.

IOW Lamm uses XLR inputs to amps and outputs from the preamp however they are pseudo balanced

Steve,

Pseudo balanced is a confusing and non standard mode. In Lamms they are simply XLR plugs used with pin 3 shorted to ground. It means it will short the output of the previous balanced driving stage - it can be a very bad think with some electronics. However when using a Lamm preamplifier it allows us to correctly use a XLR cable. BTW, some manufacturers use a resistor of equal value to the device input or output impedance to shunt pin 3 to ground.

As far as I found, the hybrid Lamm amplifiers have real balanced inputs.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Is the purpose of the poll for XLR and the sonic boost? or is it for the security of the terminations.

IOW Lamm uses XLR inputs to amps and outputs from the preamp however they are pseudo balanced

It's the signal-to-noise ratio:

Technically, Balanced > Pseudo-Balanced > RCA S.E.

For true Balanced, one must ensure the gear doesn't suffer from the Pin 1 problem. c.f. Neil Muncy and others about this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing