daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

try this Yello 12inch for deep bass gary

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Over the years I have found the bane of most exhibits is playing too loud and unfortunate musical selections. Of course small rooms and associated equipment also rank hihgly.
Gary not only avoids these pitfalls but tends to excell in these areas. I see no need to expect anything different this year.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Viva 845 32w amps sounded fantastic on Alexandria X2S2s in Milan

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Gorgeous photos! Those amps look like perfect aesthetic matches for the speakers!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I spent more than an hour there in two occasions and everything sounded fantastic. And the dinner last night put a great cap on the whole experience! Thanks Gary.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The room really came together quickly this year. We usually reward ourselves with lunch after setup on the first day, and sometimes that lunch doesn't happen until mid-afternoon and we've fortified ourselves with chocolate through the lunch hour. This time, we the system sounded great (not fabulous but great) right out of the box. So we let it settle and play in while we ran out for some lunch.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Stopped by today to see Gary and his creations, and indeed the sound was great!

On the Royal Ballet piece, I was impressed by how the sound filled and enveloped the room, literally "freed" from the speakers. It reminded me of the good side of MBLs...

The amps also lacked for nothing, with great weight in the mids and very clean and pleasant highs!

cheers,
alex

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Great sounding room!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Stopped by today to see Gary and his creations, and indeed the sound was great!

On the Royal Ballet piece, I was impressed by how the sound filled and enveloped the room, literally "freed" from the speakers. It reminded me of the good side of MBLs...

The amps also lacked for nothing, with great weight in the mids and very clean and pleasant highs!

cheers,
alex

Thank you, Alex. It was great to see you and Fabio again.

Sorry I jumped down your throat when you said "that mbl thing" - my association with that phrase connotes a singer with a mouth the size of an aircraft hanger. That's why I played Ricky Lee Jones immediately after to note that her mouth was an appropriate size and the guitar sounded the size of a guitar. I thought that we had a particularly great sounding room this year, the total system synergy hung together really wonderfully.

Cheers
Gary

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
We missed Harry Weisfeld and Seiji Yoshioka the designers of the turntable and cartridge respectively, but the designers of everything else were there enjoying the music.

View attachment 30582

As usual, my brother Gary does not toot his own horn.

From left to right.

That handsome gent on the left - no one other than my brilliant brother, Gary Leonard Koh - designer of many things audio - the Phono PreAmp, the Maestro speakers, all those cables, the rack, the music server.
The one with the great smile in the center - Amadeo Schembri - brilliant half of Viva Acoustics - designer of the Viva Auroras. Those sexy tube amps you see on the ground to the right.
The happy, buff one on the right - Steve McCormack (does he actually need any intro??) - designer of the SMc Pre-Amp, the component in the middle of the rack with blue glowy lights. (Designer of Tip-toes, the original McCormack Audio and engineer/producer for some truly brilliant direct to disc music LPs)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here's a story from Mat Weisfeld in the VPI blog.....

http://www.vpiindustries.com/single-post/2017/01/25/Vanquish-with-Genesis-CES-2017

From the first moment Jane and myself sat down in the room we were blown away by the sound. Gary has an eclectic taste for music from classical to heavy metal and punk! A crowd favorite was the sound track from Star Wars, the Force Awakens. Considering the usual setup issues at all trade shows, the Genesis room had none of those problems having a seamless and well thought out setup. It was a pleasure being a part of this musical system and we hope this is the first of many more like it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing