La La Land

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
BTW, if you want to see an excellent film that nobody ever heard of, do try and see "Hell or High Water". It opened in wide release in August and may have generated about $200 bucks in sales, so it went to video quickly. It's really a very good, enjoyable movie. Chris Pine is outstanding but will be overlooked for an Oscar nod. However, I think Jeff Bridges will get nominated as best supporting actor for his iconic role as the Texas Ranger who pursues the bank robbers.

I saw it and reviewed it here several months ago. In fact before La La Land it was my favorite movie

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?21342-Hell-or-High-Water&p=414114&viewfull=1#post414114

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We saw this yesterday. Agree with Steve's assessment: very good but not great. Worth seeing on the big screen for the luscious cinematography. Emma Stone should be a leading Oscar contender.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I enjoyed LaLa Land but it wasn't amazing to me. I still find it hard to believe a musical about Hollywood struggles is going to lose at the awards. The chemistry of the two really kept the movie rolling along, although I though Emma Stone was a much better singer than Gosling and really cemented her coming Oscar nomination.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/21/la-la-land-freeway-musical-number-damien-chazelle/
http://moveablefest.com/moveable_fest/2016/12/linus-sandgren-la-la-land.html
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-...nd-what-technology-was-used-to-shoot-the-film

Few weeks ago I've read an article about the 'talk' 'bout' cinematography of that film. That's what got me interested the most.
I'm providing some links above...

I will most likely get the Blu-ray on its release.
* And it could be a smash hit on 4K/UHD Blu-ray, for the picture quality...4K front projectors with everything in perfect UHD order, including the source player.

Just a simple observation from the trailers and articles; this ain't no Singin' in the Rain musical.
They don't make them like that anymore (1952, the golden age).

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I saw Fences today and thought Washington and Davis were unbelievable. As a movie, I don't think it was as good as LaLa or Manchester. It's very much a play on screen. But both actors will get noms and could easily win. We will know more in two weeks when the noms are out.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hmm, finally figured out that Marty's icon is a brain scan slice through the eyeballs with colorization. Duhhhhhh!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hmm, finally figured out that Marty's icon is a brain scan slice through the eyeballs with colorization. Duhhhhhh!

Indeed. You can see the optic nerve from each eye head back to the visual cortex at the very rear of the brain, although the colorization isn't entirely accurate as not all of the optic nerve from each eye crosses over to the opposite side of the brain. But it is a pretty picture nonetheless.

Perhaps more interesting, are the recently discovered audiophile centers of the human brain as depicted here:

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? http://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/oc...r&mediatype=photography&phrase=occipital lobe

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Caught this one yesterday.

It was ok, good perhaps. But nothing I'd recommend seeing in theater.

It starts off with horribly mixed audio for at least 1/4 of the movie. There's dance scenes that are extremely under-captivating with the score and singing being nearly muted compared to what musicals usually have for volume. The instruments were out of whack too, sissy drum beats, etc. It failed to suck me in. And you know what it made be appreciate? Austin Power's opening scenes; they're amazing. (reported that he was OCD and probably brought people to tears making them do it perfect)

Also I was annoyed by the poor focus on Stone's face. I think they did it often because she's got freckles and stuff going on, but they didn't want to pack on makeup that would take away from her great expressions. I'm a fan, and I don't really see the problem with humanizing her (I'd still go on a date with her).

Overall it was surprisingly melancholy for a half musical. I personally would have liked to of seen some more out-there singing and dancing. Why not have Gosling jump up on a table and sing about how amazing Jazz makes him feel? (well, something) That's what the musical tool is for, showing emotions that can't possibly be conveyed in sensical manners. Also I think there was more room for Stone to use her wit, and goofy side. It's part of her, you can try to cover it up but... it's deeply part of her. (Easy A anyone? Crazy Stupid Love, the movie that made this one casting decisions?)

But I found the story rather pertinent to not only many, many people, but especially millennials that are told to find their dream, dream, dream dream, dream. But it appear to be a covert story for debt debt debt, especially with droves of idiots going to college. (I suppose Gosling is technically not a millennial, however, he obviously passes off as younger in every roll). Without a doubt I found myself with some strong emotional feelings. But that doesn't make up for desiring better editing, at least good sound, and some more energy into the musical side. My wishes, I do realize, are counter intuitive to millennials however. Older movies the people had more gusto to life, no question, even when they were down. People aren't that internally upbeat these days, the young generations, and they have many reasons but that doesn't mean I'm attached to seeing it on screen. Unlike how many younger people are anti-role-model, I don't care, give us something to look up to even when they have tragedy, despite life in the way.

I actually saw this with my mother, thinking she'd like it. She says it's good for Redbox. She LOVES old shows before her time, musical stuff, etc. She lives musical song in her head all the time she says. Now, she thought the ending was fine, and that when they looked at each other every thing was hunky-dory. We differ there. For me it raised the question is the ever pursuit of our dreams worth the expense? I'm not under the impression that they ever found a better love than each other. I'm not under the impression they wouldn't have been happier together like the montage-ish thing presented. To me it felt like it put values on family and love, and that running a little more with what life brings to you isn't so bad - as opposed to fighting, fighting everything to get your way before you know whether what you're asking for is what you should truly be wishing for... My mother believes that it's pretty much a common story to be forced between love and one's dream, and you'll never know if the other was the right choice. But her perspective is a bit different, she's never had the experience of a dream being crushed (it could be a reality for her in retirement, the one she has), nor has she ever been with "the one". And she couldn't care less about a significant other most of the time. Take it as you will, I suppose that's the best you can get from it without the creator telling you if they thought one choice was better. But, again, for me it hit home with wondering why (as a guy) we can be how we are & how much better we could have been, why we aren't always smart enough to jump on opportunity, and how much that can follow us around.

Despite how much it can get you thinking, how contemporary it is, it's still a movie and as such it's not that great. Plus the content isn't always fun for everyone. I use to think if a movie can drive emotions, it's as good as gold, but there's so many - especially indie films - that can make you feel down/depressed that it's getting old.

So I do recommend seeing it, but I actually agree, Redbox.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Indeed. You can see the optic nerve from each eye head back to the visual cortex at the very rear of the brain, although the colorization isn't entirely accurate as not all of the optic nerve from each eye crosses over to the opposite side of the brain. But it is a pretty picture nonetheless.

Perhaps more interesting, are the recently discovered audiophile centers of the human brain as depicted here:

View attachment 30427

Where's the "Gremlin Center"?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw La La Land today. Surprisingly, I liked the movie more than my wife did.

I also thought Ryan Gosling outperformed Emma Stone in this movie though both were quite good. YMMV.

While watching the movie I kept trying to figure out if Gosling was really playing the piano himself - sure looked like he did.

Checked when I got home and he learned to play the piano for this role - impressive!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw La La Land today. Surprisingly, I liked the movie more than my wife did.

I also thought Ryan Gosling outperformed Emma Stone in this movie though both were quite good. YMMV.

While watching the movie I kept trying to figure out if Gosling was really playing the piano himself - sure looked like he did.

Checked when I got home and he learned to play the piano for this role - impressive!

There were a lot of talented Mouseketeers from his era and yes that's him playing

FWIW I liked the movie more than my wife as well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing