What is Your Favorite Movie to Upmix in 3D audio?

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I watched Apocalypse Now Redux upmixed in auro3D and it was completly new. OMG what an unbelivable movie. Did you know it was the first movie released in dolby surround?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I bought this full disclosure (best) edition when it first came up on Blu. Now you can get it for only $8, for people who don't have it.
I believe you that it must sound awesome in Auro-Matic 3D.

I could write a book about this film (Redux), the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, and the soundtrack.
Here's a quote from one of the several BR reviews on the audio portion from the Blu-ray, which I pretty much fully agree with:

Apocalypse Now Blu-ray, Audio Quality ? 5.0 of 5

If it were possible to give Apocalypse Now's DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track six stars for a rating, I would. This film pretty much invented modern 5.1 sound mixes (along with Star Wars, as is discussed in one of the copious extras included on this three disc set), and the attention to detail here is simply mind boggling. That first iconic sequence, which indeed starts with sound before we even get an image, is a perfect example. The weirdly synthesized helicopter rotor noise clearly starts in the right rear channel and then careens around the room channel by channel until finally The Doors' music kicks in. But it's not just the action and battle sequences that are alive with surround activity. Even small scale dialogue scenes, such as when Willard is given his mission, are filled with superby placed ambient effects and simply awesome channel separation. Fidelity is exceptional, with Carmine Coppola's synthesized score (influenced, as Francis discusses, by the then-popular albums of Japanese electronic master Tomita) has never sounded better (or stranger), and the source cues are perfectly mixed. LFE is especially robust; Coppola had wanted at one point to license Universal's Sensurround process, and the rumbling bass effects that that process provided are incredibly well presented here in Coppola's own "version" of the technique. (Universal ultimately wouldn't let him use the actual patented Sensurround process). The soundfield here is one of the most consistently brilliantly realized pieces of art (yes, art) in film history, and this lossless track is, to put it plainly, reference quality."

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
I bought this full disclosure (best) edition when it first came up on Blu. Now you can get it for only $8, for people who don't have it.
I believe you that it must sound awesome in Auro-Matic 3D.

I could write a book about this film (Redux), the documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, and the soundtrack.
Here's a quote from the audio on the Blu-ray:
Apocalypse Now Blu-ray, Audio Quality ? 5.0 of 5

If it were possible to give Apocalypse Now's DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track six stars for a rating, I would. This film pretty much invented modern 5.1 sound mixes (along with Star Wars, as is discussed in one of the copious extras included on this three disc set), and the attention to detail here is simply mind boggling. That first iconic sequence, which indeed starts with sound before we even get an image, is a perfect example. The weirdly synthesized helicopter rotor noise clearly starts in the right rear channel and then careens around the room channel by channel until finally The Doors' music kicks in. But it's not just the action and battle sequences that are alive with surround activity. Even small scale dialogue scenes, such as when Willard is given his mission, are filled with superby placed ambient effects and simply awesome channel separation. Fidelity is exceptional, with Carmine Coppola's synthesized score (influenced, as Francis discusses, by the then-popular albums of Japanese electronic master Tomita) has never sounded better (or stranger), and the source cues are perfectly mixed. LFE is especially robust; Coppola had wanted at one point to license Universal's Sensurround process, and the rumbling bass effects that that process provided are incredibly well presented here in Coppola's own "version" of the technique. (Universal ultimately wouldn't let him use the actual patented Sensurround process). The soundfield here is one of the most consistently brilliantly realized pieces of art (yes, art) in film history, and this lossless track is, to put it plainly, reference quality."

Thanks I'll pick it up. The difference between 5.1 and 10.1 with this movie is no contest. I have been in (and parachuted out of) those types of helicopters and it was very realistic in 10.1. I don't think I even had it as loud as reference levels.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks I'll pick it up. The difference between 5.1 and 10.1 with this movie is no contest. I have been in (and parachuted out of) those types of helicopters and it was very realistic in 10.1. I don't think I even had it as loud as reference levels.

Witchdoctor I am assuming you served, if so I thank you, much appreciated.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Special Forces, thank you! It is funny how different it is watching that movie after you served vs before :) Looking at your Ferrari logo did you see the documentary on Amazon about Steve McQueen and the making of Le Mans? Check it out.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

Short answer: "All of them". And 95% of all music.

The 2 channel audio "purists" are missing out on all of the fun!!

In the 48 trillion audio/video upgrades/changes I have made, only 2 have gotten my bride's attention: A new brighter 4K projector and 3D (real or up-mixed) audio.

Almost any action/thriller film is significantly improved by up-mixing to 3D audio but even those that have just great music scores are improved as well!!

As one might surmise, I am a fan!!

To put all of this in perspective, I would list 3D audio as one of the two more significant changes that has significantly improved my enjoyment of music and movies, along with properly done digital room correction!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

This one, a 3-disc set, @ my local Walmart...only $8 (Cdn)...discount bin.
* It might cost more in the USA, even if the Canadian dollar is worth only 75 cents US.

This is a fantastic set, it's the real deal in motion picture and movie soundtrack (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 - 48kHz, 24-bit) and real life documentary.
Plus you get the two versions; the theatrical one (2:27:17) and Coppola's awesome Redux extended version (3:16:09). That's 50 minutes more.

"Both versions offer a really excellent Commentary by Coppola, obviously edited together from the same recording sessions, but timed differently for each version. The Redux commentary includes some information not included on the theatrical commentary."

"The bulk of the third disc is given over to the completely fascinating documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (HD; 1.33:1; DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0; running time 1:36:00). This incredible peek behind the long and tortuous filming of Apocalypse Now is one of the most devastating documentaries about the rigors of filmmaking ever made. It's hilarious to hear the then-young Coppola insisting he isn't making art, but instead aiming for (in his words) an "Irwin Allen" experience with Apocalypse Now. Things soon turn from lighthearted to tragic as one problem after another rears its ugly head and Coppola nears madness himself. The film features copious home movies made by Coppola's wife, Eleanor (several with pretty bad damage), as well as tapes she recorded without Francis' knowledge for what she at the time expected to turn into a diary. The documentary comes with an optional commentary by the Coppolas which is nearly as fascinating as the film itself."

This is not only a great film with great picture and sound, but it is also a school on real filmmaking.
All the material included in this 3-disc Blu-ray set is a source of knowledge on the art of cinema making of the highest order.
[I bought mine, in an attractive and sturdy slipcase which holds a trifold case holding the three Blu-ray discs, as well as a lavishly illustrated 48 page booklet printed on glossy paper, back in 2010 when it was first released.]
I already had both DVD versions, but it don't matter; Blu-ray is much better.
I paid $60 back then for it, and just recently I saw it for only $8 @ my local Walmart store.
In my vast Blu-ray collection (2K and 2D section), it is among the very best, period.

Short answer: "All of them". And 95% of all music.
The 2 channel audio "purists" are missing out on all of the fun!!
In the 48 trillion audio/video upgrades/changes I have made, only 2 have gotten my bride's attention: A new brighter 4K projector and 3D (real or up-mixed) audio.
Almost any action/thriller film is significantly improved by up-mixing to 3D audio but even those that have just great music scores are improved as well!!
As one might surmise, I am a fan!!
To put all of this in perspective, I would list 3D audio as one of the two more significant changes that has significantly improved my enjoyment of music and movies, along with properly done digital room correction!

Ultra high-end stereo music is great, stereo LPs (vinyl) are awesome (33 1/3 & 45rpm), stereo open-reel tapes are the best for sound quality, stereo CDs and hybrid SACDs (stereo and multichannel) are not bad @ all for digital. Hi res music streaming, downloading, ...also is not bad for digital. Tidal? If you support the founders go ahead, it's your prerogative, your free choice in a democracy world; I just don't personally...for free principle life's decision...my own set of values based on my knowledge. I don't preach, I don't force, I share only. There's sometimes more than just to the music.

Multichannel audio from music and films on Blu-ray Audio and Video...2K, 4K, 2D, 3D, ...SACD, DVD Audio, ...with a receiver or pre/pro that has Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D audio immersive decoders, plus their respective audio up-mixers, is the high end class of some of the best audio/video technologies available today.

Is it better than stereo vinyl? No, but that's not the question because the comparison is just not fair.

You, witchdoctor and Chuck, you are among the people keeping track of some of the very best. I agree with you Chuck on what you just said above...4K and 3D audio. I have no choice, as a music and movie lover ('musicphile' and 'cinemaphile'), to follow in the same multi footsteps.
And it is way way more less expensive than ultra high end stereo music...it depends...
The only thing different is that the emotional level is completely different. It all depends of each person's own heartbeat.

Witchdoctor, great that you started this thread, and with Apocalypse Now Redux. It's like flying over the world inside a flying car.
It's a beautiful blue planet down there in the la la land.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
This one, a 3-disc set, @ my local Walmart...only $8 (Cdn)...discount bin.
* It might cost more in the USA, even if the Canadian dollar is worth only 75 cents US.

This is a fantastic set, it's the real deal in motion picture and movie soundtrack (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 - 48kHz, 24-bit) and real life documentary.
Plus you get the two versions; the theatrical one (2:27:17) and Coppola's awesome Redux extended version (3:16:09). That's 50 minutes more.

"Both versions offer a really excellent Commentary by Coppola, obviously edited together from the same recording sessions, but timed differently for each version. The Redux commentary includes some information not included on the theatrical commentary."

"The bulk of the third disc is given over to the completely fascinating documentary Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (HD; 1.33:1; DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0; running time 1:36:00). This incredible peek behind the long and tortuous filming of Apocalypse Now is one of the most devastating documentaries about the rigors of filmmaking ever made. It's hilarious to hear the then-young Coppola insisting he isn't making art, but instead aiming for (in his words) an "Irwin Allen" experience with Apocalypse Now. Things soon turn from lighthearted to tragic as one problem after another rears its ugly head and Coppola nears madness himself. The film features copious home movies made by Coppola's wife, Eleanor (several with pretty bad damage), as well as tapes she recorded without Francis' knowledge for what she at the time expected to turn into a diary. The documentary comes with an optional commentary by the Coppolas which is nearly as fascinating as the film itself."

This is not only a great film with great picture and sound, but it is also a school on real filmmaking.
All the material included in this 3-disc Blu-ray set is a source of knowledge on the art of cinema making of the highest order.
[I bought mine, in an attractive and sturdy slipcase which holds a trifold case holding the three Blu-ray discs, as well as a lavishly illustrated 48 page booklet printed on glossy paper, back in 2010 when it was first released.]
I already had both DVD versions, but it don't matter; Blu-ray is much better.
I paid $60 back then for it, and just recently I saw it for only $8 @ my local Walmart store.
In my vast Blu-ray collection (2K and 2D section), it is among the very best, period.

Ultra high-end stereo music is great, stereo LPs (vinyl) are awesome (33 1/3 & 45rpm), stereo open-reel tapes are the best for sound quality, stereo CDs and hybrid SACDs (stereo and multichannel) are not bad @ all for digital. Hi res music streaming, downloading, ...also is not bad for digital. Tidal? If you support the founders go ahead, it's your prerogative, your free choice in a democracy world; I just don't personally...for free principle life's decision...my own set of values based on my knowledge. I don't preach, I don't force, I share only. There's sometimes more than just to the music.

Multichannel audio from music and films on Blu-ray Audio and Video...2K, 4K, 2D, 3D, ...SACD, DVD Audio, ...with a receiver or pre/pro that has Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D audio immersive decoders, plus their respective audio up-mixers, is the high end class of some of the best audio/video technologies available today.

Is it better than stereo vinyl? No, but that's not the question because the comparison is just not fair.

You, witchdoctor and Chuck, you are among the people keeping track of some of the very best. I agree with you Chuck on what you just said above...4K and 3D audio. I have no choice, as a music and movie lover ('musicphile' and 'cinemaphile'), to follow in the same multi footsteps.
And it is way way more less expensive than ultra high end stereo music...it depends...
The only thing different is that the emotional level is completely different. It all depends of each person's own heartbeat.

Witchdoctor, great that you started this thread, and with Apocalypse Now Redux. It's like flying over the world inside a flying car.
It's a beautiful blue planet down there in the la la land.

I decided to get the Sony UHPH1 and was shopping for SACD's and DVD-A. I stroked out when I saw some of those prices. Any good online stores to find the deals? I wonder what an upmixed SACD will sound like.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I decided to get the Sony UHPH1 and was shopping for SACD's and DVD-A. I stroked out when I saw some of those prices. Any good online stores to find the deals? I wonder what an upmixed SACD will sound like.

That Sony ($350) is $200 less than the Oppo UDP-203 ($550), and amazingly it mentioned DVD Audio! I have never seen a Sony player with that capability, ever. I would have to check on that DVD Audio feature, because it might be an advertising printing error.
You are the first to made me aware of that Sony upscaling 4K player.

Look, if you like Auro-Matic 3D for music you cannot have a better source of high resolution multichannel music from hybrid multichannel SACDs, DVD Audio, Pure Audio Blu-ray, ...

By now I know that you are mainly a streaming person, and with a smart emphasis on first class sound quality with a conscientious finance analysis.
______

* Yes indeed, it does play DVD-Audio discs! Wow, that would be a first! ? http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-uhp-h1-review
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-uhp-h1-blu-ray-player-review.12792

Oh wait a second here, the Sony pdf paper is not mentioning DVD-Audio: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/UHP-H1_Specsheet_042516.pdf
And: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/sony-uhp-h1-1324022/review

"Not only will the H1 play most every file format of note, the deck is also compatible with Super Audio CDs and (perhaps surprisingly) DVD Audio discs – good news if you have a legacy disc collection, or are a die-hard collector." ? Noticed "(perhaps surprisingly) DVD Audio discs.

But! It's not a UHD BR player, so it doesn't support 4K UHD Blu-ray format. And it doesn't decode HDCD encoded discs, and it feels and looks plastic.
It simply doesn't even remotely compare with the new Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD true Universal Blu-ray player. The Oppo is better build too, with more connections, and it's the real 4K deal with future firmware updates leading to Dolby Vision, for compatible 4K TVs.

Brief, that Sony might sound good with CDs and its audio DSP processing but it's a regular 1080p BR player. ...Only upscaling to 4K, not giving you true 4K resolution from real 4K material (4K Blu-rays). I understand though; you're more after 3D sound upmixing. We had a short discussion before about that, I remember. Even Kal Rubinson joined in in that discussion.

Last edited:

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
That Sony ($350) is $200 less than the Oppo UDP-203 ($550), and amazingly it mentioned DVD Audio! I have never seen a Sony player with that capability, ever. I would have to check on that DVD Audio feature, because it might be an advertising printing error.
You are the first to made me aware of that new Sony 4K player.

Nope, that's not a 4K player, it will only upscale lower-res to 4K.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
You are the first to made me aware of that Sony upscaling 4K player.

Look, if you like Auro-Matic 3D for music you cannot have a better source of high resolution multichannel music from hybrid multichannel SACDs, DVD Audio, Pure Audio Blu-ray, ...

By now I know that you are mainly a streaming person, and with a smart emphasis on first class sound quality with a conscientious finance analysis.
______

* Yes indeed, it does play DVD-Audio discs! Wow, that would be a first! ? http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-uhp-h1-review
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony-uhp-h1-blu-ray-player-review.12792

Oh wait a second here, the Sony pdf paper is not mentioning DVD-Audio: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/pdfs/UHP-H1_Specsheet_042516.pdf
And: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/blu-ray-players/sony-uhp-h1-1324022/review

"Not only will the H1 play most every file format of note, the deck is also compatible with Super Audio CDs and (perhaps surprisingly) DVD Audio discs – good news if you have a legacy disc collection, or are a die-hard collector." ? Noticed "(perhaps surprisingly) DVD Audio discs.

But! It's not a UHD BR player, so it doesn't support 4K UHD Blu-ray format. And it doesn't decode HDCD encoded discs, and it feels and looks plastic.
It simply doesn't even remotely compare with the new Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD true Universal Blu-ray player. The Oppo is better build too, with more connections, and it's the real 4K deal with future firmware updates leading to Dolby Vision, for compatible 4K TVs.

Brief, that Sony might sound good with CDs and its audio DSP processing but it's a regular 1080p BR player. ...Only upscaling to 4K, not giving you true 4K resolution from real 4K material (4K Blu-rays). I understand though; you're more after 3D sound upmixing. We had a short discussion before about that, I remember. Even Kal Rubinson joined in in that discussion.

This is an audio first player. I won't be getting into 4K until the 4K PJ is available for around a grand. Probably 2-3 years. The price is great and you know the HD video will be great. I DO have a 3D projector and this player will upscale to 3D video. Now I will have 3D video to go with my 3D audio! Can you imagine Apocalypse Now in 3D? This player can do that even if it is a 2D movie. It is a nice to have not a need to have. It also let's me see how a PC will do against a dedicated universal audio player. It has a lot of apps for streaming too.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Price Drop

The price just dropped to $298 for the Sony UHPH1 on Amazon. I notice that it will drop for a few days then go back to $350. Just be patient if the price already reverted.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Oh my goodness, I just watched Crimson Peaks upmixed in Auro 3D, utterly heart stopping. Kind of a horror movie by Guiermo Del Toro, great sound track. Lost of those thunder storms just engulfing you throught out. The scary footsteps sneeking up. I gotta check out more horror movies upmixed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing