Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Is United Home Audio the BEST tape deck there is? Other than $$$, why choose another tape deck?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Gentlemen, thank you - very enlightening!

Sonically, how is the UHA deck different from the rebuilt Studers, Sony's, etc.
    sonics will be most impacted by the choice of repro amp. UHA has their own custom design inboard, Doshie and King/Cello outboard. I have compared the King/Cello which is excellent with my UHA. I prefer the UHA.

I don’t understand why people keep comparing the UHA tape deck to a Studer A80/820 or ATR 102 it’s like comparing a car to a pickup truck, if you like tinkering, tweaking upgrading or fixing up your tape deck then a UHA is not the deck for you, the UHA is easy to use set up the way you want with a warranty, but if you tweak it or take it apart you would void your warranty, it’s not the deck for the DIY audiophile hobbyist, I have a stock Tascam BR-20 and I think it sound great just the way it is (some will disagree) and if it can be proved to me it would sound better with outboard preamps I would do it, but if you just want to play tapes from Tape project and others the UHA deck I think would be the one to get, Greg you should also mention the great digital counter readout that the Tascam BR-20 (UHA) has with track memory storage and auto play that tape decks like Technics and most other older deck don’t have. PS I would love to own a Studer or Ampex to tinker with.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Gentlemen, thank you - very enlightening!
    Sonically, how is the UHA deck different from the rebuilt Studers, Sony's, etc.
    Hi Caesar,

I haven't heard UHA decks/electronics in the same system and room with any Studer; however, I would submit the fundamental basis of any difference between an A-820 and other decks...including other Studers...is the transport.
    Vbr,

Sam
    SPQCV

Addicted to Best!
    isn´t this discussion rather pointless?
    UHA buyers wouldn´t consider messing about with big Studers
    and Studer owners wouldn´t for the sake of their life give up their love affair with theese mechanical beast/beauties
    different priorities, different markets
    best
    Leif

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    [QUOTE. . .

I haven't heard UHA decks/electronics in the same system and room with any Studer; . . . [/QUOTE]

Literally no one has heard both machines in the same system.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456