Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is United Home Audio the BEST tape deck there is? Other than $$$, why choose another tape deck?

Is United Home Audio the BEST tape deck there is? Other than $$$, why choose another tape deck?

In my experience, every time I have heard the United Home Audio tape deck at a show, that room is a best of show contender. You can just sit back and enjoy the music for hours.

Anyone prefer other tape decks? How different do the others sound?

Other than money, why would anyone buy another tape deck?

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    UHA is about the only deck you can buy that comes with a warranty. Yes, I feel there are better decks out there now, but they are 20-30 years old and you need to sink a boat load of money into. For the money and trouble-free knowledge that you're getting a solid machine, Greg's decks are a no-brainer!!!

I'd put them against a stock Studer A80/820 or ATR-102 any day!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    In my opinion they are for a readily available, turn-key solution that is a relatively portable with a compact foot print and has a warranty. There will be readily available parts for a long time too.

I would love a pristine A80 or A820 with a matched Doshi pre too. Getting a well sorted/in spec Studer is not easy nor cheap. It was the primary reason I went with UHA for my reference deck.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Overhere telefunken and philips were the most wanted in the recording industry , a well known recording engineer told me , mainly because they were more reliable then the studer , dont want a break down in the middle of a unrepeatable recording chance
    M 15 A sounds gorgious as well and has better/ easier tapehandling they come for a reasonable price overhere
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 12-17-2016 at 09:57 AM.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar

You gotta do something in life

i ve got 3 now next one would be the philips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9nzwqps0Q

never heard the UHA would love to

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post

You gotta do something in life

i ve got 3 now next one would be the philips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO9nzwqps0Q

never heard the UHA would love to
    I think the UHA, of the choices I know about, is the safest way to go for most people. and I've recommended them and respect that others do too.

but at the top of the UHA price range around $20k and above, you get into a price range where good solid ATR-102's and nice Studer A80's and A-820's plus good custom output electronics become choices. and in that league those more potentially capable transports do present good alternatives. there might still be trade-offs involved so it's not cut and dried one way or the other. and especially with the Studer's, support is more challenging.

so there are reasons to buy other tape decks. but there are reasons not to, too.
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Lampi SE GG dac, CAPSv4 server. (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *darTZeel NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    UHA is about the only deck you can buy that comes with a warranty...
    You can buy a newly rebuilt ATR102 with warranty and replacement parts will be readily available for a long time to come from ATR Services for far less than the UHA upper-end machines. I'm guessing at this point low to mid-teens for an ATR - the UHA machines approach $20-25k depending on which options you go with.

Assuming all things are equal from an sonic perspective (even at the high-end of the UHA product offerings, the ATR must surely still hold its own considering that it's one of the top mastering tape decks ever), you have greater flexibility with an ATR machine than a UHA deck. Namely, ability to quickly switch between tape formats as well as capability to handle up to 14" reels.

I'm not saying that the UHA machines aren't great - I haven't heard one myself so I'm not qualified to offer a comparative opinion. Rather, I'm offering an alternative that is not represented yet in this thread.
    Last edited by srs148; 12-17-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Addicted to Best!
    The UHA is despite all efforts still based on a Tascam BR 20 as far as I know
    with respect to precision tape transports and mass loaded torsional rigidity, I rest my case......
    best
    Leif

Hand phasers versus ship's phasers...

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by U47 View Post
    Hand phasers versus ship's phasers...
    I think to stay 'Rogue One' relevant, we need to use the 'Star Wars' term 'blasters' and not 'Star Trek's' term 'phasers'.

.....just say'n.....
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Lampi SE GG dac, CAPSv4 server. (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *darTZeel NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast