Cartridge loading Lyra Skala

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
This is a topic for cartridge loading, specifically a Lyra Skala MC cartridge. I am changing phono sections from a stand-alone Ayre Evolution to the phono section of a darTZeel NHB-18NS. The Ayre had a loading of 47k ohms and the darTZeel comes with a standard loading of 836 ohms. The Skala sounded more open with bloom and better bass with the Ayre. Do I need to change the loading to 47 k ohms in the darTZeel?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This is a topic for cartridge loading, specifically a Lyra Skala MC cartridge. I am changing phono sections from a stand-alone Ayre Evolution to the phono section of a darTZeel NHB-18NS. The Ayre had a loading of 47k ohms and the darTZeel comes with a standard loading of 836 ohms. The Skala sounded more open with bloom and better bass with the Ayre. Do I need to change the loading to 47 k ohms in the darTZeel?

The Skala recommended load directly into MC phono input is 95.3ohm ~ 816ohm (determine by listening). It seems you already are at the maximum. The 47 k ohms should only be used when using a transformer.

But many people disagree and have different opinions concerning MC loading. I always had good result with manufacturer's settings.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
The Skala recommended load directly into MC phono input is 95.3ohm ~ 816ohm (determine by listening). It seems you already are at the maximum. The 47 k ohms should only be used when using a transformer.

But many people disagree and have different opinions concerning MC loading. I always had good result with manufacturer's settings.

Thanks for the input. I went with the dealer's advice for 47k ohms which surprised me but the Skala delivered very satisfying sound with the Ayre. Bloom, detail and solid bass. It seems to be a little less dynamic with the Dart's setting, but I must admit to have been concentrating on CD results and will give more serious consideration to the phono. The Dart is a beautiful piece of equipment and I'm looking forward to battery replacement.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
My Skala sounds best loaded at 249ohms through pass labs phono

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
When I had my Skala, I used 496 ohms into my Nagra VPS phono stage.

The lyra cartridges are sensitive to the cabling...could be a cable you're hearing into the Dart. The Dart could also be revealing a set up issue that was ok with the Ayre and not with the Dart. Just thinking out of the box here...

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Might be a difficult question to answer if not in context with the very same phono amp. For me a somewhat higher loading of 1k ohms worked best on both the Pass XP-15 and later on an XP-25. Having said that I found the Skala to be very tonearm dependant, working extremely well at 1k in a tonearm with higher internal damping (Origin Live Conqueror Mk.3c) but less so in a less dampened arm (TW 10.5). In there it sounded somewhat harsh in my system at 1k ohms and needed a bit of taming by bringing down the loading. If I remember correctly it was down to 500 ohms.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

I used to have this pre amp and used it with several carts. I had a lyra Atlas that probably needs similar loading to the skala - I found reducing the load resistance worked best. I think I used the 337ohm setting, 510 + 1000 in parallel.

kip.duff

Nov 13, 2019
I'm just setting up Lyra Skala for first time on VPI Classic Signature. Can you guys clarify a little?

For now, I'm planning to use Lundahl LL9226 SUTs with 1:10 step up. "Rule of thumb" that I'm aware of is cartridge impedance (5.5 Ohms In this case) times 10 to get value of resistance needed on primary side of SUT (55 Ohms). According to spreadsheet calculator I got from K & K Audio where I bought the SUTs (I believe), resistance I should install in parallel with existing R in phono stage input on secondary side of SUT is 7.222k (image attached). I'm in no way claiming to be expert- this is just best info I've gathered so far.

The numbers you are citing in this thread are resistances placed in parallel with the 47k on secondary side of SUT? Way lower than number I got. Doesn't this affect the gain?

To me, specs for Lyra Skala provided by Lyra (attached) are not clear- but do seem to imply lower load than my calculations.

Thanks in advance from newbie.....

Attachments

• MC Step-Up Calculations for Lyra Scala.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Lyra Skala specs from Lyra.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 11

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing