Anyone familiar with or compare sonic sig of Chord DAVE and TotalDac? Best of PCM! Please share!

caesar

May 30, 2010
It strikes me that 2 of the most musical PCM DACs out there today are Chord DAVE and TotalDac.

Anyone familiar with sonic signatures of both?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
How can they strike you that way if you never heard them?

Some people talk about Berk Ref, others about MCB Select, but still others say that the much cheaper Ayre Qx-5 twenty is the new PCM king. Lots of talk about the Aqua LaScala/Formula Optologic dacs.

Then you have the tube Dacs like the Aries Cerat Cassandra and the R2R Lampi GG, which have their own rich sound in PCM

Point is that there are MANY quality choices out there and at this point you gotta try yourself to assess ultimate SQ match to your taste...or go on blind trust based on general reputation combined with the industrial design of your chosen unit.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Caesar,

Do you want to have our opinion on these particular DACs or to know our opinion on the best existing PCM?

Although I have not listened to the DACs you refer, I have strong feelings about the best PCM DAC. :cool:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Caesar,

Do you want to have our opinion on these particular DACs or to know our opinion on the best existing PCM?

Although I have not listened to the DACs you refer, I have strong feelings about the best PCM DAC. :cool:
LoL

Go ahead and name names! I have my popcorn bowl ready.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing