Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray player | Brand new release today

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I'm bummed Bob, as an owner of the '205' I know how great a player it is. Us physical media guys are a dying breed !

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow! The perverbial left field... what led to this? R&D costs vs profit margin I suspect.

That is the same question I asked myself.
I would say that it's fair to say that it is business related, plus the state-of-the-affairs in the physical 4K Blu-ray medium disc...its future and the rest.

There are so many changes going on right now since the "New Order".

2017 has been a tough year on many video aspects; the death of 3D, the tumultuous ride of HDR and its flavours, including Dolby Vision, the TV manufacturers, front projector manufacturers, 4K Blu-ray replicators, 4K HDMI cables, everything 4K connected, including SSPs and receivers, super high bandwidth collusion with long cable runs, cooperation between all components from all manufacturers, sales, ...all that financial jazz that comes with the latest and most demanding technologies in advanced picture electronics.

I'm only briefly mentioning some reality facts. I'm an avid reader of the audio/video worlds; one is the physical retro world...many of us, the other is the virtual streaming world...many of us.

Remember, streaming is the force, it's Star Wars. And simplicity always rules over complexity in today's world. Plug & play. Anything else is a tear, a scar in the sky.
___

? http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?25157-Oppo-out&p=503190&viewfull=1#post503190

Last edited:

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A true story. I've been moving, ever so quickly, into the realm of the "ease of use" era. After I bought my Synology NAS and uploaded all of our media (a painstaking endeavor), I seldom go to load a disc into the tray.
Speaking of long cable runs; I've upgraded to a 4k projector and was introduced to the fiber optic video world of long cable runs with high bandwidth demands...
It's all changing so very fast... sigh!

Dan

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
These high bandwidth cables are a crap shoot. There is a very good review of them over at AVSForum. I bought a 40’ RUIPro and so far so good.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
When Best Buy/Target/Walmart/Costco/Sams Club stop selling physical media, the message is pretty clear.
I have seen some dirt cheap Blu-Rays and don't buy them, when eventually,or it already is on Netflix,VUDU or Xfinity OnDemand.
Xfinity has changed their business model and their OnDemand new movies are reasonably priced, but, they put Data limits on their internet services to try to keep you on the cable or pay extra for extra GB's of streaming. Xfinity now has Netflix on their home service. For less than $200.00 a month we have 300Mbps internet, home security, phone service and TV.
I actually see only two forms of Physical media to own surviving the longest, vinyl and tape. The silver disc is short lived.
Might be to late, but a lot of the big box, convenience stores have very rapidly changed their business models to compete with the likes of amazon.
Our local Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart have huge internet/curbside pick up departments now, actually taking away from retail floor space.
Times are a changing y'all!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Wow! The perverbial left field... what led to this? R&D costs vs profit margin I suspect.

pretty simple really. BR and UHD playback media are DEAD formats. Viedo stores are dead like the dodo.

Streaming has and will completely take over the video market. OPPO are being smart and getting out while on top.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
pretty simple really. BR and UHD playback media are DEAD formats. Viedo stores are dead like the dodo.

Streaming has and will completely take over the video market. OPPO are being smart and getting out while on top.

Who is streaming in uncompressed 4K?

I don't agree that physical media is dead. Those who want top quality will still buy it until companies provide it via streaming services.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I'm bummed because I bought mine (205) as an audio player first and foremost, Even as a audio player alone at it's price point it was tops IMO.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm bummed because I bought mine (205) as an audio player first and foremost, Even as a audio player alone at it's price point it was tops IMO.
I bought mine for the 4k capabilities, but I use it primarily for 2 ch listening of the flac files on my NAS. The quality is outstanding.. imho.
Dan

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Netflix has some 4k programming available.

As does Hulu but it is compressed 4K, not the same as what is on an optical disk.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I cannot read the future, neither my Mum.
I don't know about eBay profit dealers, if they are going to buy all the Oppo leftovers to take control, no clue.

Eventually we'll get more playback issues with new disc releases, when firmware updates ceased. ...With our 203, 205, 103, 105 ...

What to do? I have no clue, it's up to you, each one of you.

"Oppo Digital will continue to sell its existing players though its website and authorized retailers, though the company warns that at some point, models will go out of stock. While Oppo Digital hasn’t said so, this likely means that we’ll start to see the company’s products marked down, so if you’re looking to buy a new Blu-ray player, you may want to keep an eye out."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Q: Why is Oppo terminating its product manufacturing?

A: The revenue from sales cannot offset the cost of developing players and maintaining a production facility.

Q: The announcement says Oppo will “gradually” stop making products. How gradually?

A: We are in the process of manufacturing our last batch of products. If there is no change to delay or speed up the production, we expect the last product to come out of the factory in June.

Q: When production stops, will you continue to sell products in your inventory? How long do you anticipate that might last?

A: Yes, we will continue to sell products in our inventory. It is hard to predict how long that might last; based on the previous rate, it may last 2-3 months. However, demand may slow down given the announcement, or perhaps people will want to get products while they can and the inventory will be sold out quickly.

Q: What will happen to the company in the long term? Will it change its focus in some way, or will it stay open long enough to support its products for some period of time? Are we talking months or years?

A: The company will transition from product development to product support. We are committed to supporting the products for as long as we can. For those who just purchased one of our products or will purchase them, we will honor the 2-year manufacturer’s warranty, so we are talking about years rather than months. This is also why we made the announcement now, so customers can make an informed decision regarding future purchases, and we can plan to have the proper resources to support the customers and products.

Q: Regarding the UDP-203 and 205 UHD Blu-ray players, have you released a firmware update that addresses the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs? If you haven’t issued that update, do you expect to? If so, when?

A: We have firmware that supports Sony’s implementation of Dolby Vision in its TVs. The firmware is undergoing testing by Dolby right now. We hope to make it available to customers as soon as the test concludes that there is no problem with existing Dolby Vison-capable TVs as well as Sony TVs.

_____

"We hope ..."

There are other important questions regarding important video issues that weren't mentioned in that email sent to Oppo above, not mine.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
[Strike]Fat cheque[/strike] Fact check:

? https://www.statista.com/chart/7654/home-entertainment-spending-in-the-us/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing