Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray player | Brand new release today

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We are all aware on the new trade war between the US and China. ...The new tariffs on steel imposed by the US to their good friends from China. China doesn't take it so lightly, and they retaliate with their own tariffs to the US, where they figure it counts...the products from the people who support the leader.

I don't think it has some to do with the recent Oppo news.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppo_Digital

Because it seems that it was already in the plans back few years ago.
We just didn't get that memo, it was a secret well kept.

It is sad for us, for me because I've already anticipated the future Oppo 303 and 305 8K UHD Dolby Vision universal players...perhaps in 2020 or around that time.
I was also wondering if Oppo would return with apps. But my hopes were lesser in that area.

Two years from now, April 2020 or Summer 2020, I see the new carriers of the ultra hi-def "Olympic flame" in companies from Panasonic, Sony and LG, as the three main "athletes". ...All Dolby Vision supporters, and also streaming apps supporters, plus HDR10+ for hi-end front projector owners, with still 3D capability.

It changes the entire playing field when it comes to our hi-end movie watching.
Sony won't abandon SACD playback, no way.
It changes how I perceive our entertainment @ home. Oppo was truly the best, the leader.
It still is because our Oppo players won't quit on us tomorrow morning, but the countdown is on.
_____

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Anyone know if this is defeatable?

From the manual:

• Dynamic Range Compression is applied to the analog audio output and digital audio outputs (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) when the audio format is set to PCM.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
205’s selling out. I ended up buying one and I have three BDP-105’s...one of which is Darby....lol
Already $500 over msrp on eBay....I likes me physical media !!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The people who are going to buy the 203 and 205 are the eBay sales people, so they can ripoff everyone else, ePay lol.
Only trouble is this; eventually some 4K discs won't play because of no more firmware updates.
* Actually there are people buying a second Oppo 203 for their storage...future...when 8K players will be showing up.

If someone ask me today if they should buy one or not; it depends, of how long they intend to wait for everything to work accurately.
We ain't there yet, and words are puffs of empty air before they transform into calibrated facts.
___

I'm going to wait to sell mine till the eBay bags ask $10,000 for the 205. ...Just kidding, I'll keep spinning my precious.
___

They forgot the Sony X800:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-blu-ray-players/

Last edited:

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder what sort of parts inventory Oppo has on hand for the 205 and 203? I'm sure some company will buy the remaining stock and offer service with what's left. Other than that, cannibalization is all that remains until it's time to move away to another brand with a cult following.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If one uses these machines mainly for video I think they are taking a chance by running out and getting one. The technology changes too quickly. For audio these things are a no brainer.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Who is streaming in uncompressed 4K?

I don't agree that physical media is dead. Those who want top quality will still buy it until companies provide it via streaming services.

To me when I read that physical media is "dead" people are rationalizing in part because they have invested in that format. I am so glad when I bought my California Labs Tercet MKII CD player I did not sell off my vinyl when I sold my Oracle TT. I still have the records and the player is long gone. I have purchased more CD and SACD product this year more than any other. When I do order from Amazon or Elusive disc, or Acoustic sounds there is always something new. Funny how when I visit my audio dealer he still tries to get me to buy streaming equipment. Oppo makes phones primarily. The 203 had a hell of a lot of bugs when first released. The early adopters did the beta testing. I almost bought the 203 since I owned the BDP-105 already and have a 4K system. The Sony X800 was much cheaper, did internet and was multi format. That also hurt with new sales.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"At the current selling rate, Oppo will be out of 203's by the end of the week. Already out of 205's. Oppo has sold more units in the first four days of April than they sold for the whole month of March. Oppo should receive more 203's end of the month and more 205's in the summer.

Added
To give you an idea on the rate they are selling. Oppo has around 1,000 203's right now and they said at the current rate, will not last the weekend."

_____

I have no clue on the level of accuracy from that quote above, zip. And I have even less clue about eBay.
Are we going to see some of those players selling way over their retail prices? In today's world nothing can surprise me anymore, nothing.

Or are we going to see an eventual price reduction on those players (203 & 205) for the first time ever from Oppo headquarters here on the wet coast?

"Oppo Digital will continue to sell its existing players though its website and authorized retailers, though the company warns that at some point, models will go out of stock. While Oppo Digital hasn’t said so, this likely means that we’ll start to see the company’s products marked down, so if you’re looking to buy a new Blu-ray player, you may want to keep an eye out."

If I could read the future I wouldn't bother with this type of superficial questions; this is all small peanuts compared to what's happening in the cosmos. :b
_____

Sam Encel a Director at Interdyn said:
“We encourage enthusiasts to make their purchases earlier rather than later, as it is possible that demand will increase because of this announcement. Any OPPO Digital products supplied by Interdyn to our network of resellers during this period (and onto customers within a three-month window of shipment to the reseller) will have the manufacturer’s warranty period of two years guaranteed”.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I had a BDP-93 that hasn't seen much use in the past couple of years so I sold it on Audiogon recently. Was happy to get a little less than 50% of what I paid for it in 2011.

Took the proceeds and bought a couple 4k HDR and Dolby Vision capable Philips players to use for the next couple of years for Blu-Rays and an occasional CD or DVD-Audio disc. Play most of my music from a hard drive of late.

Sorry to see Oppo pull out of this side of their business.

I was one of the guys who bought into HD DVD - but after the format was discontinued. Saw a deal for a Toshiba player and maybe 30 movies for $250 and bought it just to play around with and check out the format. Ended up giving the player and the movies to one of my son's friends who is in the entertainment business in LA after I played with it for a year.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Sales are going to be based on the perceived value of the payers going forward. I'm willing to bet that the biggest portion of this 'run on sales' is caused by investors looking to cash in on the impending crisis. If I'm correct, then you will start to see rediculous asking prices on eBay and audiogon for new, unopened box units until the value vs cost wave runs it's course.

Dan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPPO-UDP-2...=item2cc5985579:g:4vgAAOSwCXxZp5Md&rmvSB=true

Edit: Nobody in their right mind would ever pay any close to that price, nobody.
Last week a refurb 203 sold for $200 on eBay.

Sure, we're going to see few ripoff artists on eBay for a little while, trying to cash in the timing of the situation.
By Christmas life will be back to normal, and both the Oppo 203 and 205 available online, on sale, from normal decent good honest people.
Just make sure you are well covered with a solid backup plan in case of a "sour" sale.

Last edited:

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well, there you go. The biggest detail I notice, next to the inflated price, is the quantity wanted drop down.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Anyone who pays that is just stupid.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm just glad I bought mine early. So far it's been a solid unit; I hope it stays that way. If a part fails, I hope it's the optical drive and not the D/A. I could be happy using the 205 as 2ch D/A converter for years to come. Haha

Dan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing