? http://www.avsforum.com/oppo-udp-203-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-released/

______

– Universal disc playback for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and many other formats
– High dynamic range with HDR10 and firmware upgradable to Dolby Vision
– Two HDMI outputs – HDMI 2.0 for UHD and HDMI 1.4 for audio
– HDMI 2.0 input for external streaming devices or set-top boxes
– Two USB 3.0 ports for media-file playback
– High-resolution audio with lossless decoding for PCM and DSD
– 7.1-channel analog-audio outputs with premium 32-bit “Velvet Sound” DAC by AKM
– Excellent audio and video performance
– Upgradable and dependable

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I ordered mine today.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Good to see Oppo finally release their own Ultra-HD Blu-Ray player. They have a great following and great technology.

Prospective buyers have to know that this player won't include 4K streaming apps like Netflix internally, but it can pass through the signal, so for that, you'll need another device with the app.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Design comparison between the BDP-103 ($499) and the UDP-203 ($549)

______

- Notice the left compartment from the UDP-203's interior; part of the power supply?
- The DAC: from the Cirrus Logic CS4382A (BDP-103) we now have the Premium 32-bit “Velvet Sound” DAC by AKM (UDP-103)
{Both DACs are 8-channel DAC on one single chip.}
- The two USB ports on the UDP-203's rear panel are now version 3.0 (on the BDP-103 they are version 2.0)
- The new UDP-203 loses its front HDMI input, but the HDMI input on the rear is version 2.0
- UDP-203 ? High dynamic range with HDR10 and firmware upgradable to Dolby Vision
______

So long Samsung, Panasonic, Philips UHD players. ...And the upcoming Sonys, LGs, and the rest of the gang... Oppo is here now, the leader. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's great news for boosting 4K, UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision...
And it is extremely affordable with much better solid build quality and reliability than all the Japanese, Chinese, Korean built players...Samsung, Panasonic, Philips, Sony, LG, ...

Now Oppo 4K is here. And the first reviews are indeed very positive; I didn't expect any less from Oppo.
The other manufacturers should take a long hard look @ Oppo who has been setting a top reference benchmark standard for many years now, and as the perfect example on how a top product and company with the best customer service can inspire all the overseas big corporations.

Let us know Chuck of your first 4K picture impressions of the UDP-203 when ready. ...And of any comparison with your present 4K source player.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My initial Oppo 203 impression is it is fantastic. However, I also got a new 4K TV (Sony XBR-75Z9D), which caused me to order the Oppo. My previous TV was a Hitachi 57" RPTV that only did 1080i, so everything I am seeing now is new. Regular DVDs and Blue Rays look fantastic, but 4K UHD just blew me away last weekend. I thought I was at the movies. :)

I watched Mad Max Fury Road, and it was like watching a new movie. It was so great I ordered Lucy and Oblivion in 4K, and will start watching Lucy tonight.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15875XZ9D/Sony-XBR-75Z9D.html?tp=60890

---------HT-------------

Onkyo SC5509 pre
Oppo 203 UHD BR
Cambridge Audio 840W amps (2) - front
Sunfire TGA-5400 amp - center and rear
Bryston BDP-1 file player
Auralic Vega DAC
Xbox One

Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers - front
PSB Synchrony One - rear
PSB Synchrony One Center
Polk LSiW sub

MIT Shotgun XLR S.1 interconnects
Shunyata Anaconda digital IC
Shunyata Venom speaker cables
Shunyata Triton v2 power conditioner

Sony XBR-75Z9D TV 75"
Shunyata Denali 2000 power conditioner

All power cords are Shunyata models, except for stupid built in cord on TV.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oppo is working on some fixes. ...Stuttering. I try to keep track with the official owner's thread over @ AVSForum. ...Very rapid thread.
It must be an awesome new high experience @ your home theater movies, Bud.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yes. It is awesome. I had drifted away from the HT, and spent most of my spare time with the stereo. However, now I am getting back into the HT. What I need now are 4K movies I do not already have on BR. :)

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
After several months of working overtime plus two shifts a day, I still wasn't able to pull the funds together to be able to afford this technologicial tour de force. It then occurred to me that: 1.) I don't own a single Blu-ray disc or 2.) even particularly like watching movies in the first place so now those funds, such as they are, can be allocated elsewhere.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Exactly. I have no problem with being an early adopter with this technology. At least as long as the fixes are in the software. Hardware problems are another issue. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes. It is awesome. I had drifted away from the HT, and spent most of my spare time with the stereo. However, now I am getting back into the HT.
What I need now are 4K movies I do not already have on BR. :)

Just start fresh from now on.

After several months of working overtime plus two shifts a day, I still wasn't able to pull the funds together to be able to afford this technologicial tour de force. It then occurred to me that: 1.) I don't own a single Blu-ray disc or 2.) even particularly like watching movies in the first place so now those funds, such as they are, can be allocated elsewhere.

1.) DVDs?
2.) You like Operas?

Bonus: http://www.npr.org/music/

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Bud,

I also got that 75" Sony a few months ago. Amazing, and waiting for a 4K player myself. Good to hear it's revelatory for you too!

Lee

My initial Oppo 203 impression is it is fantastic. However, I also got a new 4K TV (Sony XBR-75Z9D), which caused me to order the Oppo. My previous TV was a Hitachi 57" RPTV that only did 1080i, so everything I am seeing now is new. Regular DVDs and Blue Rays look fantastic, but 4K UHD just blew me away last weekend. I thought I was at the movies. :)

I watched Mad Max Fury Road, and it was like watching a new movie. It was so great I ordered Lucy and Oblivion in 4K, and will start watching Lucy tonight.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15875XZ9D/Sony-XBR-75Z9D.html?tp=60890

---------HT-------------

Onkyo SC5509 pre
Oppo 203 UHD BR
Cambridge Audio 840W amps (2) - front
Sunfire TGA-5400 amp - center and rear
Bryston BDP-1 file player
Auralic Vega DAC
Xbox One

Aerial Acoustic 7T speakers - front
PSB Synchrony One - rear
PSB Synchrony One Center
Polk LSiW sub

MIT Shotgun XLR S.1 interconnects
Shunyata Anaconda digital IC
Shunyata Venom speaker cables
Shunyata Triton v2 power conditioner

Sony XBR-75Z9D TV 75"
Shunyata Denali 2000 power conditioner

All power cords are Shunyata models, except for stupid built in cord on TV.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing