Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray player | Brand new release today

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What privileges were taken away? And by whom and why?

You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

I have no clue by who exactly. I've never insulted anyone. PM sent, back to Oppo 203.

* Note: This is from another site, just in case.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

I have no clue by who exactly. I've never insulted anyone. PM sent, back to Oppo 203.

Bob,

I just checked your account and see nothing to indicate that your privileges have been restricted. Perhaps clearing your cookies and logging in again might clear this up.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

I just checked your account and see nothing to indicate that your privileges have been restricted. Perhaps clearing your cookies and logging in again might clear this up.

Lee

Lee, I just added the information that it was from another site. Sorry, I thought that it was obvious that it's not here because I'm still posting. :b
WBF is the best; it's the best because people like you, and Chuck and Bud are posting right here. We're all Oppo people. :b
...And JVC, and Sony, and Panasonic, and Krell, and Emotiva, and LG, and Samsung, and Yamaha, and Anthem, and Classe people.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Firmware Upgrade: Latest Official Release | February 27, 2017

:b

So how you guys doin' with your machines? Everything's working good?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched 'Hacksaw Ridge' on Blu-ray couple times. The second time, near the beginning, I had a short audio drop. That was from my Oppo 103, not the 203, not just yet.
But for over three years I never had any serious issues like freezing, audio and video drops. The few issues I sometimes encounter, with any of my half dozen Blu-ray players is from the HDMI connectors; they are too heavy and they simply slide away over time. It's part of the bad HDMI connection game.
And the other thing from my 103; I never use the two HDMI Inputs, ever. Because they are bad with the audio/video sync when connecting my PC or laptop with the HDMI connection. It is not the 103's fault, it's again the HDMI connections from hell sourced by both my PC and laptop. Anyway, it's a superficial feature to me when it won't work.

This is the Oppo 203 thread, and I would love to add some latest news. I am still waiting to hear from people (owners) like Chuck and Bud.
Anyone else using the Oppo 203 to watch 4K Blu-ray movies?

It's very quiet on some European sites, on the threads regarding the 203. Just the regular stuff; people are happy and people are unhappy too...c'est la vie.
Meaning some aren't experiencing issues, or barely none, and others just a little more than usual, nothing to fret over really.
It's all good, the player is still a work-in-progress. And it works now, better for some than others,,,like any other 4K BR players from any other companies...Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Philips, LG, and more coming up...from various prices...roughly from $150 to $800 (loonies - CDN dollars, and the sales from some places...eBay).

WBF is about the best in all life's categories, including the best people, the best management team, the best moderation, the best discussions on all things ultra hi-end audio, and video. 4K Blu-rays are the best right now, some of them...like 'The Revenant' and 'Lucy' for example. And the best displays are from Sony, LG, JVC, Epson, Optoma, Runco, Wolf, etc.

The WBF members love movies, they love the best toys, the best cars, the best sound, the best visuals, the best looking women, the best watches, the best trips around the world, the best photography, the best actors and actresses, the best musicians and singers, the best ballets, best operas, best classical music concerts, best Bluesmen, best Jazzmen, best trumpet players, best sax players, best impacting and emotional music recordings and film music scores and stories of cinema.

Audio is the the strongest emphasis, audio gear, and loudspeakers, and cables, and turntables, and music recordings, and all that jazz.
Movies are very high too, with high caliber taste from the best in cinema...movie theaters are high on the scale.
Most people love James Bound's flicks, double 07, secret agent @ the service of her majesty the Queen, and with a full/free licence to kill.

But not James Bound's flicks are on 4K Blu-ray yet. ...And of course none is in 3D; it's just not the type to be filmed in 3D. James Bound is no Doctor Strange.

Ok, I thought of energizing this thread a little; for both the owners, and the future owners, and also the ex-owners.
I wish I could add more on the technical front, but it is simply too quiet @ this moment all across the oceans.

But, this is an open thread for everyone, anyone with a passion for cinema @ home, and with the 203 as the main menu on the table...the main entry from all the other dishes.
...Today, tomorrow, and you never know because next month the 205 will make its apparition for the first time: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

It's not only quiet everywhere, but here also. I'm almost tempted to post the Blu-ray film I watched last night right here, but I won't.
There's another dedicated thread for that; quiet there too. But I shall give it some energy later on...I truly feel that...last night was indeed special on the movie front.

All right, I oppe everyone's enjoying a lovely weekend. It's pouring jazz rain here right now, as I'm typing ?????

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I wouldn't trust any of this, none; it has no depth, no class, it's a lost case: https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/4741...dp-203-technical-discussion-and-issues-thread
Obviously this is driven with a hidden agenda, a very low form of fake news.

For a better perspective for normal people with a head on their shoulders: Wait.
Things are not ready yet. Too many people are jumping way too fast to conclusions; they are losing their marbles.
It's a one-way street only; there is no open discussion on that link above.
______

Lol, bonus: http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray/blu-ray/47760/ultra-hd-4k-players-buyers-guide

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I am now having an issue with my 203. Using the remote, it is very sporadic on how it responds and sometimes won't respond from certain commands. I unplugged it, and replugged it and it worked ..... for a very short while.

I will do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. If not, back to the factory for repair. First time in 5 Oppo's I have ever had any kind of problem. IMHO, this product was rushed to market to meet the competition. IMHO, was not ready for prime time. While Oppo has provided some important updates (stripping meta data from 4K being one of them), it can still be frustrating. I have no doubt that eventually, this will be another great Oppo product. But mine, at least, is still buggy !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am now having an issue with my 203. Using the remote, it is very sporadic on how it responds and sometimes won't respond from certain commands. I unplugged it, and replugged it and it worked ..... for a very short while.

I will do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. If not, back to the factory for repair. First time in 5 Oppo's I have ever had any kind of problem. IMHO, this product was rushed to market to meet the competition. IMHO, was not ready for prime time. While Oppo has provided some important updates (stripping meta data from 4K being one of them), it can still be frustrating. I have no doubt that eventually, this will be another great Oppo product. But mine, at least, is still buggy !!

Good morning Chuck, did you change the time on all your clocks? :b

I came here to delete my above post, it serves no real purpose. But it's no big deal, so I leave it.
If you follow the threads over @ the other sites, in regard to the Oppo 203 and comments from the owners and comments from the beta testers, it contains enough information to make a fair assessment.
I asked you and Bud to share your experiences because I know that both of you are using it in your home theaters.
I am also certain that other WBF members use it too for their 4K viewing content.

I don't share my readings anymore because anyone interested in the Oppo 203 have all the links here already to follow the latest developments and discussions.
It is of no use to me to give my opinion because everyone is smart enough to assess the situation fairly with an objective view.
It's a machine designed by humans, released @ an opportunistic moment (two weeks before Christmas 2016), I'd say a little too soon, and now exactly after three months of its release date (December 12, 2016), it is an ongoing work in progress without all operations perfectly oiled for all people.

I don't really want to buy a Panasonic or Sony or Samsung or LG 4K/3D Blu-ray player, I would prefer to stick with Oppo which I support much more than those other brands. First, it's a more solid build player (the Sony 800 @ half the price has a strong enclosure too), and two, it has a faithful following (I included).

Here's something: Today is March 12, 2017 and when you watch a 4K Blu-ray movie from your player you simply want to press play and have no issue for the next two hours or so, and the next day the same, and the next day after that and so on. If I'm making a mistake here of expecting too much, please someone correct me.
I have been playing Blu-ray movies since 2006, and for the last three years plus from an Oppo 103 BR player without any frustrating issues. I know, it's not the new ball game of 4K but still. And this: I paid extra for features it has...two HDMI inputs, but they are useless to me because of audio/video sync issues. I said it before, I say it again; it's useless in my situation. And the 203 still has the same issue.

To be insulted and treated like an imbecile doesn't help either. I went to school for many years, was a top gun in my classes, I'm in my sixties, I'm a very sociable and lovely person, and love music and movies and learning. I have faith in people and sometimes too much because I can see clearly narrow minds and unbalanced biased ideas in few.
It doesn't deter me, to the contrary, it makes me stronger in my pursuit of truth and justice in this audio/video world.

There is one rule to me which is above all rules; it's respect of all others, no matter how low or high our esteem is for.
We're all human beings, and there are no enemies but allies. When we fight we fight together against the invaders, the aliens.
When we fight among ourselves and against our own brothers and sisters and fathers and mothers; that's when we're losing it.

It's only a machine, it only costs $550, it is designed by people for people's entertainment (movies and music), and yet I see conflicts and denials and no responsibilities taken with calculated and balanced intelligence from some. I lost interest. I lost faith. I lost respect. I lost dignity. I lost civilization.

I won't let it take over; I will pursue the truth and simplicity of living and loving life with all the beautiful creatures, wildlife, nature, and people in it.
But to be treated as an imbecile, no.

We're all very smart people here. And yet conflicts still exist. They run deep so it takes more to break free.
Our electronics, our cables, our new HDMI ultra high speed world is in constant need of readjustment...every single day.

100% of all WBF members know that. I am weak when I put a judgement on my brother or sister.

I'm glad you posted here, to share your 203's some of your experience. Please, keep sharing because you are a very high valued person with opinions that help us all; we benefit from your sharing. I'd also like to hear from Bud's feedback of his 203 when playing 4K Blu-ray movies.

It's just a machine, and very inexpensive too, compared to $40,000/pair 3 meters speaker cables.
But it is amazing that it can play 4K Blus, 1080p Blus, 3D Blus, DVDs, SACDs, CDs, has an Ethernet port, Wi-Fi connection, and few more hat tricks with rabbit's ears.
______

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Latest Official Firmware Upgrade Release | April 6, 2017

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-38-0222, the major changes included in this version are:

1.Added support for the OPPO UDP-20X MediaControl app, which turns your mobile device into a remote that provides complete control over your OPPO 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Please select from the following device types to download the application: iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch, Android, Android (APK), Amazon App Store.
2.Added the Dolby Digital and DTS options under the S/PDIF Output setting in Audio Output Setup, which allows the player to re-encode different audio formats into the Dolby Digital or DTS audio format for the S/PDIF output.
3.Improved the output accuracy when using the RGB PC Level color space.
4.Resolved a frame dropping issue when using cable or satellite boxes through the HDMI In.
5.Improved A/V sync when using the HDMI In.
6.Resolved an issue where the Full zoom mode would not fill the screen when playing 4:3 content.
7.Improved stability when accessing SMB servers.
8.Resolved an issue where ejecting the disc tray could lock up the player.
9.General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

______

? MediaControlApp ? https://www.oppodigital.com.au/blog...-and-mediacontrol-apps-for-iphone-and-android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.mediacontrol
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.oppomediacontrol
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-udp-20x-mediacontrol/id1194885761?mt=8

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Comparison between the two best:

Price wise they're both the same. And oppefully soon he'll (same guy in that video) take the opportunity to compare the Sony UBP-X800, which is half price of the Oppo, and Panny. And another one to compare too is the LG UP970, with Dolby Vision, and same price as the Sony...only $299.

Comparisons are good in audio, and in video. It's a measuring scale to help us make our own choice. The best is the one that works best for us, and then there's the rest.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Watched a DVD (not Blu Ray) the other evening (Miss Congeniality) and was blown away by the picture quality from the Oppo (that had been unconverted to 4K by the 203). Stunning. Best DVD image I have ever seen.

Chuck, this is great. I must have over 6,000 DVD titles in the basement, but I don't play them. There are just too many Blu-rays to watch now, and too many 3D BR titles, and a constant growing amount of 4K BR titles with HDR and soon with Dolby Vision and soon from Disney movie studios.
I don't remember last time I watched a DVD...must be close to a year. It was from the Oppo 103, upscaled to only 1080p (2K).

Sandra Bullock is a very happy woman today by the way. ...And a great person too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...dall-jet-home-LA-romantic-weekend-Austin.html
http://www.inquisitr.com/4147935/wh...just-be-the-most-likable-person-in-hollywood/

She was dating Jesse James @ one point.

Jesse is an active guy; in financial enterprises, as well in liaisons dangereuses.
_____
_____

Yes Barry, the Oppo 205 has a high degree of attractive versatility, very:

Overview
Features/Specs

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing