Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray player | Brand new release today

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
Pardon me if I don't listen to it right away but enjoying some great world music on BBC Radio 3's Late Junction programme
ATB
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No sweat Barry, it's only two minutes. The song is related to the Oppo 205 (the true aim - Alison), and Priscilla is an angel. Just that short video is magnetic, magic, very attractive. And that was the simple related point with the Oppo 205, voila.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
Looks very impressive and given their past track record seems very credible.
It will be interesting to read what the reviewers think

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Barry, reading the HDMI Audio Jitter Reduction Circuit in the OPPO UDP-205 had me thinking and I posted this earlier in another thread:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...explained-in-simple-terms&p=446830#post446830
______

Yes indeed, I'm looking forward to professional reviews with the full battery of measurements; video and audio.
It might take a while though, because the Oppo 203 is not yet fully evolved, with few glitches remaining to be fixed (video freezes, sync. issues from HDMI In) and of course Dolby Vision not yet upgraded and with complete analysis.

This is only a brief review, from yesterday: http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...p-203-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-disc-player-review/
______

But I am waiting for the full set of audio and video measurements, earlier mentioned in January: http://hometheaterhifi.com/news/product-previews/oppo-udp-203-4k-player-preview/
______

Bonus:

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This is more the player for the class of audience here. It is the audiophile player, a good notch above its little brother, the 203.
Video wise they both have the same exact video processor chip, so the picture quality is equal between the 203 and the new 205.
The transport mechanism is also the same, so it should have the same qualities (pros & cons) between them.
Through firmware updates the cons should slowly dissipate.

I'm keeping a close eye open on it from owner's experience reads. I'll share what I judge interesting.

AavatarNorthSkyAVSForum.jpg

Few people have it right now, only from the last few days.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/oppo-udp-205-audiophile-ultra-hd-blu-ray/
http://www.marketwired.com/press-re...p-205-audiophile-universal-player-2211472.htm
? http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-udp205-modification.php

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Oppo 203 | Review finally complete (with measurements)

I have been waiting for that one ? from quite a while. Here she is.
_____

Next: Oppo 205 (measurements of its audio).
Also, Dolby Vision, eventually. I have no idea exactly when, but my best guess; before June 6th, 2017.

In the interim if something new is worth mentioning I'm not going anywhere else. It's alive.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Dolby Vision | Official Public Firmware Update | Today, June 06, 2017

Perfectly in time for Despicable Me l and ll on Blu-ray with Dolby Vision available to purchase now.
This is the beginning of a new world in picture @ home from Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision and Oppo 203/205 with Dolby Vision officially activated.
There is a lot more to come; picture adjustments to enable...all that jazz. Time is on my side, yes it is.

1. Added Dolby Vision support. A Dolby Vision enabled TV is required to view content in Dolby Vision.
2. Added Sharpness adjustment support for the 4K resolution.
3. Improved HDMI audio stability when using an HDMI Split A/V connection
4. Changed the color depth info display of the HDMI In port to 8b/10b/12b instead of 24b/30b/36b.
5. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

_____

Additional notes:

"A number of video processing options are blocked in the current firmware when playing Dolby Vision content.

This is true REGARDLESS of whether the actual HDMI output from that content happens to be Dolby Vision, HDR-10, or SDR.

I can't comment on whether OPPO might relax some of these restrictions in future firmware.

------------------------------------

Previously set values in Picture Adjustment are ignored while playing Dolby Vision content.

HDR OFF and HDR Strip Metadata are ignored while playing Dolby Vision content. HDR Target Luminance is also ignored (regardless of whether the actual output is SDR or not).

If you have a Dolby Vision setup, and thus get Dolby Vision output when playing Dolby Vision content, it IS possible to force HDR-10 output instead -- if you want to compare or whatever. But keep in mind that the processing restrictions are still in effect.

To do this, incant the following spell:

1) Stop any content that might be playing
2) Set HDR FORCED
3) Do an ENERGY EFFICIENT power cycle

To return to normal Dolby Vision output, incant the following counter-spell:

1) Stop any content that might be playing
2) Set HDR AUTO
3) Do an ENERGY EFFICIENT power cycle.

----------------------------------

I do not know of any way in this firmware to force SDR output when playing Dolby Vision content short of connecting to a video equipment path that is not capable of either HDR-10 or Dolby Vision.

If you play Dolby Vision content into a video equipment path that is capable of HDR-10, but not of Dolby Vision, then you will get HDR-10.

If you play Dolby Vision content into a video equipment path that is only capable of SDR, then you will get SDR.

A few, known issues to report:

1) The Zoom Modes are not blocked, but they are not functioning properly yet when playing Dolby Vision content. Don't bother experimenting with them as the resulting video will be, umm, odd.

2) A-B Repeat is not blocked, but will Crash the player during Dolby Vision content when you press A-B Repeat button the 2nd time (to set the "B" point). If you do this by mistake, press Power button once on either the Front Panel or the Remote and be patient. After about 20 seconds, a timer will kick in and shut down the Crashed player. The next power up after that will be Energy Efficient (a complete reboot), even if you have Network Standby set.

NOTE: Those two are true regardless of whether the output is Dolby Vision, HDR-10, or SDR.

3) You may see Max/Min Luminance data displayed in the Extended Info display when playing Dolby Vision content as Dolby Vision output. These values are bogus. They are leftover from the last HDR-10 content you played. If you force HDR-10 output (for example, with the spell shown above), the Max/Min Luminance values shown are correct (for that HDR-10 stream)." - Bob P.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Dolby Vision ... Vudu Magic Way

Remember, Vudu is compressed, Blu-ray is not. For best picture and sound always go 4K Blu-ray physical discs.
It's the same with music; for best sound go with physical open-reel tapes, or LPs, or Blu-ray Audio discs, or SACDs, or DVD Audio discs. Some might disagree here for sound quality and I'm perfectly fine with that, because streaming and downloading hi-res music from your computer have made real progress (from the honest sites) in the last five years plus. And remember, with movies you can have twelve channels (dts:X and Dolby Atmos 7.1.4) @ home from many receivers and pre/pros. And if you go higher end you can get even more channels.

And this too: With music only in the analog domain, you can get mono or stereo. With digital you can get more channels of course; it's an advantage that digital has over analog, one of. But for stereo purists it means less than a big zero, so it's all preference related. There is no absolute, every little detail is important when it comes to the pursuit of happiness. ...Only the best.
_____

_____

* FACT: Twelve more days to go before Father's Day. Shop wisely, let others do the shopping for you by giving them the list. :b

Rmerlano

Jun 18, 2017
Hi Bob!
I´ve read this thread very conscientiously, I´m close to receive my UDP-203 in 2 weeks (I´m from México and some friend of mine is going to bring it to me).
I appreciate all the interesting content and comments and experiences.
RM

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thank you! If only one person find motivation in the time of dedication it wasn't in vain. Say Hi to all good people of Mexico; beautiful culture, beautiful country, lively people.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bonus: I just found out that Floyd O'toole has just joined AVSForum (last week: June 14th). :cool:

? http://www.avsforum.com/forum/members/9354313-floyd-toole.html

So far this is where he is strictly/mainly dedicated: Official JBL Synthesis / Pro / Revel Home Theater Thread
• His 1st post: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...evel-home-theater-thread-55.html#post53667465
_____

Now back to our program:
I am reading about people having an interruption, or an audio drop, or a complete stall when playing John Wick: Chapter 2 on Blu-ray UHD.
That disc is a BD-100, meaning it has three layers, and the Oppo 203 has difficulty with the last layer change.
This is not the first time; previously other BD-100 titles were giving the Oppo 203 a hard time dealing with the last layer change.
Oppo has still some improvement to be made. In addition to its HDMI Input which is affected negatively from its last firmware update.
I mention this so that people are aware; well informed.

Why is it relevant/important? Simply because 1. It is very annoying to get an interruption while watching a movie.
And 2. The Oppo 203, as opposed to all other UHD players doesn't have any streaming apps, zero.
So the HDMI Input is an important feature to connect another device that will permit you to stream movies with HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, ...all that jazz, and music too.

"OPPO decided to eliminate internet video and music streaming apps. Instead, an HDMI 2.0 input port that supports UHD resolution is available for users to connect an external streaming device such as an Apple TV or Amazon FireTV. This approach gives you the flexibility to choose from a wide range of streaming devices and easily upgrade as streaming technologies evolve, while still taking advantage of the UDP-203's audio and video processing capabilities."

But even @ its best the HDMI Input doesn't support HDR and Dolby Vision. In the future who knows with 100% certitude, Stephen Hawking? :b
HDR is a possibility, Dolby Vision not.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I watched Unforgiven in 4K UHD over the weekend, and it is glorious, and the sound is perfect also.

unforgiven.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? Today's Latest Official Firmware Upgrade Release | Main Version: UDP20X-46-0622

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-45-0605, the major changes included in this version are:
• Added the “Track Type” descriptor when playing an SACD.
• Improved HDMI handshake stability when playing Dolby Vision content.
• Improved HDMI audio stability when using an HDMI Split A/V connection.
• General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.

_____

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Honest Useful ? information:

By Bob Pariseau

"In my testing, the A/V Sync setting is now working in the 0622 firmware for HDMI Bitstream output from discs (dual HDMI cabling) if the video content going in to the sync adjustment is /50 or /60. It is still not working yet if the video content going in to the sync adjustment is /24.

So for example, it is working for Bitstream tracks from 1080i/60 Blu-ray discs, or from NTSC SD-DVD discs when you are not using conversion to /24 for those, or from PAL SD-DVD discs, or for, e.g., "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk", UHD, which happens to be /60 content

Of course most folks here are playing /24 movie content discs, so the remaining failure is still a significant problem. If you are using HDMI Bitstream audio output for those, you should plan to do A/V Sync adjustment external to the player for now.

(The A/V Sync setting in the 203 and 205 works fine for other types of audio output.)

--------------------------------

In my testing, HDMI Input is still a problem, although there are more input/output combos that now work "correctly" for A/V Sync, and OPPO continues to knock down handshake issues with various 3rd party source devices. The new issue with improper de-interlacing of 1080i/60 fed into the HDMI Input, introduced in the 0605 firmware, still exists in this firmware.

Although some folks will happen to find HDMI Input is working just fine for them due to the choice of input/output combo they happen to be using, my recommendation at this point would continue to be to avoid using the HDMI Input until OPPO gets it under better control.

And to answer another question that's bound to come up, I don't believe there has been any change in HDR to SDR conversion in this firmware. For folks -- particularly projector owners -- who have been waiting more or less patiently for additional improvements in this, there's nothing I'm allowed to say regarding work in progress, as I think you all know by now. Beta Tester NDA, and all that. But I have no reason to believe OPPO has given up here. Other work has just taken priority.

All that notwithstanding, let me be clear: I strongly recommend all 203 and 205 owners update to this Official 0622 firmware."
--Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing