Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried this?

The Durand is an actual nice piece to look at. And it has more than one material in it.

Name:  rw-1---2013-6-12-small.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  115.7 KBName:  durand_tonearms_rw31.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  88.4 KB

That Shun Mook looks more like it's from the sex store or something... Who cares if it works? (It actually looks like a really common plastic I use to make custom blocks out of, it's cheap and thread-able)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    The Durand is an actual nice piece to look at. And it has more than one material in it.

Name:  rw-1---2013-6-12-small.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  115.7 KBName:  durand_tonearms_rw31.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  88.4 KB

That Shun Mook looks more like it's from the sex store or something... Who cares if it works? (It actually looks like a really common plastic I use to make custom blocks out of, it's cheap and thread-able)
    Actually, it is a special ebony wood. And he stopped selling a lot of the stuff as it required more wood which was not easy to get. Also, the resonators (feet under it) themselves have a diamond tip in it. But I won't go on. Most of those who have not heard it don't get it. It also forms an integral part of the costliest tape deck around (UHA)

Ked, take another pass. I said the Duland has multiple materials, and the Shun Mook has what looks like to be just one type of cheap plastic (with some awful aesthetics).

The Duland does something to warrant our attention. I have no doubt it contributed to Mike's amazing setup. My issue with other weights is they're... just weights that the average person could make or have made for about nothing. And then some look like a bad sex toy.

Just think there is a gold plated one for 20k....a luxury item...I'm sure they will sell out.....lol
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Ked, take another pass. I said the Duland has multiple materials, and the Shun Mook has what looks like to be just one type of cheap plastic (with some awful aesthetics).

The Duland does something to warrant our attention. I have no doubt it contributed to Mike's amazing setup. My issue with other weights is they're... just weights that the average person could make or have made for about nothing. And then some look like a bad sex toy.
    Not really. Average or above average wouldn't be able to get anywhere near them.

Apparently Dalby possibly has succeeded. That comes from people much more experienced in analog.

My experience with mooks is limited to supports and mpingo disc, where many have tried to make something out of wood only to make the system sound worse.

I can't comment on Durand because I haven't compared.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    bonzo, Do I have to Mook the Thorens Reference with a record clamp?

(David may not be happy.)
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post

(David may not be happy.)
    Ron, With the Thorens--my honest opinion is NO

I have used both the Mooks--as much as I have a penchant for the bigger version( I still have it)--it is better than the original both pictured

I've used both in variety of TT's combos--some sounded "Better" some not so--purely ones own judgement-or sensitivity to changes at the time.

I'd seriously doubt the Thorens would benefit though--YVMV

I do use and like the Mook Feet though

incoming!!

BruceD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    You should try both Mook and Dalby, and Mike is not far from you. On some TTs these are supposed to work better than others, like Bruce said. Bill Ying of Mook lives in Oakland so easy to call him over with all goodies when your system is up

Can we even discuss record weights or clamps without also considering the platter surface?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

We tried both the big Mook and the Dalby weights. Same results on a few different tables, Dalby killed the Mook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast