MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
When I see record weights the only thing I can really think is I can make my own... I've been enjoying records without one forever... so it's not going to be a big deal if I don't make the best ever. IMO most lack a fundamental thing I plan to implement however.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

There are quite a few TT owners who swear by this, though the Dalby is considered even better. Never heard either. Saw a guy on Audionirvana that uses both (Siddh). It does come at an used priced of 1.5kish though.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I like/love my Durand record weight. have used it for 5 years on every record. it's made of hardwood, 'un-obtainium' metal, round sapphire feet, with a fitted to the spindle Teflon collar.

Bonzo, how did it do on the very warped 45rpm pressing of 'In My Time Of Dying'? ;)

I have only tried a few others, but I did have the Rockport vacuum hold down to compare it to......and preferred the Durand on the NVS to that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like/love my Durand record weight. have used it for 5 years on every record. it's made of hardwood, 'un-obtainium' metal, with a fitted Teflon collar.

Bonzo, how did it do on the very warped 45rpm pressing of 'In My Time Of Dying'? ;)

I have only tried a few others, but I did have the Rockport vacuum hold down to compare it to......and preferred the Durand on the NVS to that.

Mike, without comparing, I can't say. But so far I do think nothing can beat Mooks, except that a couple of people including Mik favour the Dalby (they love both).

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Durand is an actual nice piece to look at. And it has more than one material in it.

rw-1---2013-6-12-small.jpg durand_tonearms_rw31.jpg

That Shun Mook looks more like it's from the sex store or something... Who cares if it works? (It actually looks like a really common plastic I use to make custom blocks out of, it's cheap and thread-able)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Durand is an actual nice piece to look at. And it has more than one material in it.

View attachment 30157 View attachment 30158

That Shun Mook looks more like it's from the sex store or something... Who cares if it works? (It actually looks like a really common plastic I use to make custom blocks out of, it's cheap and thread-able)

Actually, it is a special ebony wood. And he stopped selling a lot of the stuff as it required more wood which was not easy to get. Also, the resonators (feet under it) themselves have a diamond tip in it. But I won't go on. Most of those who have not heard it don't get it. It also forms an integral part of the costliest tape deck around (UHA)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ked, take another pass. I said the Duland has multiple materials, and the Shun Mook has what looks like to be just one type of cheap plastic (with some awful aesthetics).

The Duland does something to warrant our attention. I have no doubt it contributed to Mike's amazing setup. My issue with other weights is they're... just weights that the average person could make or have made for about nothing. And then some look like a bad sex toy.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just think there is a gold plated one for 20k....a luxury item...I'm sure they will sell out.....lol

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, take another pass. I said the Duland has multiple materials, and the Shun Mook has what looks like to be just one type of cheap plastic (with some awful aesthetics).

The Duland does something to warrant our attention. I have no doubt it contributed to Mike's amazing setup. My issue with other weights is they're... just weights that the average person could make or have made for about nothing. And then some look like a bad sex toy.

Not really. Average or above average wouldn't be able to get anywhere near them.

Apparently Dalby possibly has succeeded. That comes from people much more experienced in analog.

My experience with mooks is limited to supports and mpingo disc, where many have tried to make something out of wood only to make the system sound worse.

I can't comment on Durand because I haven't compared.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
bonzo, Do I have to Mook the Thorens Reference with a record clamp?

(David may not be happy.)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

(David may not be happy.)

Ron, With the Thorens--my honest opinion is NO

I have used both the Mooks--as much as I have a penchant for the bigger version( I still have it)--it is better than the original both pictured

I've used both in variety of TT's combos--some sounded "Better" some not so--purely ones own judgement-or sensitivity to changes at the time.

I'd seriously doubt the Thorens would benefit though--YVMV

I do use and like the Mook Feet though :D

incoming:p!!

BruceD

Attachments

• SM2.jpg
    SM2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You should try both Mook and Dalby, and Mike is not far from you. On some TTs these are supposed to work better than others, like Bruce said. Bill Ying of Mook lives in Oakland so easy to call him over with all goodies when your system is up

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
We tried both the big Mook and the Dalby weights. Same results on a few different tables, Dalby killed the Mook.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing