The Accountant

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Saw this yesterday afternoon. MRQE.com gave it a 58 however Fandango scored it a 4.5/5 so we decided to see it

Big mistake

What a POS this film was. There was nothing redeeming in watching this film.

I would say wait until it's available as a rental but TBH it's not even worth that

Forget it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was little low with my score on 'Jason Bourne', I gave it what I felt in my honest conscience. That's only one aspect, there are as many aspects as there are people. Ron enjoyed it more.

Film critics are like Nobel Prize judges. Some films, some books, some inventions, some events, some people, ... some music recordings, some performances, ... they mark us more than others and some we missed too.

Say I like a film, the next person sitting besides me doesn't. Or vice versa. It's a personal experience, we are a beautiful species...the human race @ the movies. I'll wait for 'The Accountant' @ discount. :b

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This has been the worst year for movies I can ever remember. I have missed a few but I cannot think of a Oscar worthy movie so far this year. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed many films but there haven't been any "Gotta See". The Accountant fits the ho-hum list and a bit predictable in the end.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have a theory: We live in a movie era of super heroes from the comic books; many of them are extremely profitable financially, and that drives many filmmakers in that direction. Art films are not profitable, studios don't want to be involved in films that aren't profitable. Kids are the ones voting with their senses and money, and kids love Harry Potter, Spider Man, The Avengers, Suicide Squad, action flicks like Jack Reacher, Mission Impossible, John Wick, etc.

Movies are a business, a money machine, a cash register, full of special effects, sci-fi and fantasy adventures, loud sound effects...even in space.
There seem to be less films with an emphasis on artistic creativity for the eyes, ears and soul. I mean with beautiful photography, beautiful music and beautiful story with beautiful performances from the actors/actresses. I understand; everyone wants money, and true art doesn't provide, abroad and across.

If you look @ where the movie studios put their money in movie advertising, it's easy to see where we're @.

We are very conditioned here in North America with the movie industry and the films they produce and with the filmmakers.
We have to go underground, to other countries, to go where the money isn't and the art of filmmaking still shines in the heart of the true genuine cinema artists.

Also, the world is full of fake stories, news, people, ...that comic book super heroes and action movies with guns and machine guns etc., is a good diversion, attraction, entertainment to keep us in line with the surreal and real.

Yes, I can understand that sometimes we reach a plateau of needing a big change.
'The Accountant' is an action flick, a pure fantasy, a gun movie mixed with business numbers.
From the trailers I did not see beautiful vistas with majestic photography, I didn't hear angel's music, I didn't feel soul vibrations.
Sure I'm curious for the fun of it, but it doesn't look like 'Deadpool's unique humor style.

Anyway, I want to see it eventually, and also 'Suicide Squad' and 'The Magnificent Se7en' (2016) only for the gratuitous gun violence that represents perfectly the world reality we live in. And that, makes money...usually. Violence and guns and tragedies sell big time on the news and at the movie theaters.
But for the true art of living in harmony and creating cinema art, like Steve said; "Forget it".

Films we see is like food we eat, music we listen to, wines we drink, trips we make, people we frequent, paintings we hang on our walls, conversations we have with the people we're comfortable to be in company of, ...it becomes part of who we are and how we evolve. :b

Just for fun (a review from someone):

And publicity:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the warning, Steve!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
52% to 82% ? https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_accountant_2016/

Film critics have diverse opinions on that one, quite a large variation.
______

The Accountant
2016 ? Crime film/Drama film ? 2h 8m

• 7.6/10 (76%) ? IMDb
• 52% (film critics) & 82% (movie audience) ? Rotten Tomatoes
• 4.5/5 (90%) ? Tribute.ca
______

From ? some of the main online film reviews. I would need to check it out for myself, and I certainly will, so that I can see for myself which percentage I fall towards.
So roughly from 50% to 90% that's where the numbers vary from.
To me, personally, when I rate a movie 65% it is the minimum for a watch. I shall see in due time. :b
I admit, Steve's opinion on films I read with interest. ...On cables too.
______

And for the ones into BR 4K/HDR (includes the 2K version), who might want to add that one in their 4K movie collection:

...Next month, January 10, 2017
______

Bonus:

Two films I recommended previously:
- Julieta - Directed by Pedro Almodóvar
- Elle - Directed by Paul Verhoeven

Of course, totally different than 'The Accountant', directed by Gavin O'Connor*
And music score by Mark Isham, who I am a big fan. Music score in films for me is very important.

* Gavin O'Connor's Filmography:

- Comfortably Numb (1995)
- Tumbleweeds (1999)
- Miracle (2004)
- Pride and Glory (2008)
- Warrior (2011)
- Jane Got a Gun (2016) ? I will see (but no rush as the attraction is minimal, very)
- The Accountant (2016) ? I will see (curious, and even more so when there is no common consensus)

I have seen.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..Casey Affleck is the actor in that family

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing