Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Stereophile | January 2017 Issue

Agree completely! I have the next model down (Expression ESL 13A's), and was REALLY looking forward to an in-depth review, comparing the new line to the prior Summit X and Montis models, vs. the non-hybrid CLX, focusing on overall bass/panel integration. Fortunately, JA answered that question indirectly with his measurements (flattest response he's ever measured). I would also have liked him to inquire why ML chose a 300 Hz crossover for all three of the top Masterpiece models, despite their different sized stat panels. He also should have listened with a tube pre and/or amp, to see if the ? perceived brightness was still there.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the Expressions, and hope future reviews of the new Masterpiece series will be more substantial in content.

Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo BDP-95 > Conrad-Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > ML Expression ESL 13a's, plus (dual mono) ML BalancedForce 210 subs. Audience Au24e interconnects and speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Addicted to Best!
    Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked Out Stereo System !...

Smile

Devialet amp + Martin Logan ESL 15A's = Perfect Sound

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.
    I didn't read the review yet; too busy Christmas shopping. It should hit online soon, for everyone to read and comment and all that jazz ...
    And from what I could gather here and there, like from Francisco on the previous page, John Iverson and John Atkinson gave it a passing grade, with high ♠

* Bonus: A Multitude of Angels | Keith Jarrett
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Post MartinLogan Masterpiece Renaissance ESL 15A Loudspeaker Review

MartinLogan Masterpiece Renaissance ESL 15A loudspeaker | Review

By Jon Iverson Posted: Dec 22, 2016

* See, I knew it would be online soon...less than twenty-four hours since I first mentioned it yesterday.

Now we're open to all comments and comparisons between the ML ESL 15A and B&O Beolab 90 reviews (+ graphs) from that Stereophile January 2017 Isssue.

Me, I would explore all avenues (pros & cons) of each mechanical system with an objective and practical view before I declare the one that could suit/accommodate me the best in my own philosophic "room" and soul and personal music taste.

Don't forget, the ML is much less expensive and if you're inclined it could be mated with some external DSP, like Room Perfect or Dirac Live. Plus of course some external amplification, like from Devialet or d'Agostino.

Bonus:

Money is irrelevant; only the best sound in our own room with our own tweaked audio gear and the music we love listening to count.
    And there is always someone else with better audio gear and better music taste and better master music recordings.
    Main thing is to respect both sides and have fun. Easier said than done.

Happy Holidays,
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-22-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: minor typo
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Addicted to Best!
    Living On A MAGIC Roller Coaster Ride In My Room With My Tweaked Out Stereo System !...
    Some that have heard these new Martin Logan ESL's say they are night and day better than the ESL's they replaced. You have not heard the best out these new ESL's until you have heard them with Davialet amps !

http://www.facebook.com/MartinLoganSpeakers/

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Believe High Fidelity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I was anticipating that review from Kal with great interest; this is no ordinary loudspeaker...it's a revolutionary one. We are evolving in the audio/music world.
    Forget about standard measurements; you can't measure with conventional measuring gear. If you do you are lost beneath the real audio magic, IMO.

They are expensive, but much less expensive than the "Godzilla" boys and girls.
    With time the technology will spread to even less expensive designs, and they'll reach and even surpass the big boys from the ultra expensive high-end.
    I believe, without a doubt; it's part of audio acoustic evolution.

I would love to hear more from Kal's future projection right here.
    Folks were in town visiting and took them to the B&O Store to hear these speakers. Heard them once before earlier this year, but the sales rep said the DSP software was not implemented at the time so we were not getting the full effects of what the speaker could do.

Everyone of my audio group did not like the speaker and left shortly after arriving. I remember the most impressive result from listening was a bass track used in car bass competitions. It rang 5 tones from 40hz down to 5hz and the sales rep challenged us to see if we could hear all 5 tones which were able to. The clean projection of the bass down to 5hz left me hopeful when we revisited the speaker today 6 months later.

The sales rep played several familiar tracks Eagles Hotel California, Steely Dan Gaucho, and a few others as well as a movie mode. We also went through all three DSP options Narrow/Wide/Omni. Movie mode was not bad.

Needless to say the result was the same. Bass was smooth in its response and the clarity was there as it was before. The imaging was pretty lousy, not the worst, but certainly not 90K level. The sterile quality to the sound made us take the least amount of time there without being obvious we were turned off. Wide mode improved the off axis response, but it didn't make the speaker sound any better

As we were leaving the sales rep said "So should we go ahead and wrap up the pair for you to take home". We had a good chuckle and thanked the rep for his time and left. My father said "I wouldn't even take them as a gift"...

I want to say for our ears it wasn't very good, but frankly it was just about as good as most speakers costing a 10th of the price.

Sorry..
    Believe High Fidelity Ltd is the North American Distributor for:

Aries Cerat Ltd
    Torqueo Audio
    Vermouth Audio Cables
    Etsuro Urushi Cartridges
    Primary Control
    Echo Diastasis

Kassandra Limited Edition DAC wins Best DAC of 2016/2017 with reviewer purchase @ Mono & Stereo! Article here

Like us on Facebook!

Email: j@Ibelieveinhifi.com
    Web: www.ibelieveinhifi.com
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    Folks were in town visiting and took them to the B&O Store to hear these speakers. Heard them once before earlier this year, but the sales rep said the DSP software was not implemented at the time so we were not getting the full effects of what the speaker could do.

Everyone of my audio group did not like the speaker and left shortly after arriving. I remember the most impressive result from listening was a bass track used in car bass competitions. It rang 5 tones from 40hz down to 5hz and the sales rep challenged us to see if we could hear all 5 tones which were able to. The clean projection of the bass down to 5hz left me hopeful when we revisited the speaker today 6 months later.

The sales rep played several familiar tracks Eagles Hotel California, Steely Dan Gaucho, and a few others as well as a movie mode. We also went through all three DSP options Narrow/Wide/Omni. Movie mode was not bad.

Needless to say the result was the same. Bass was smooth in its response and the clarity was there as it was before. The imaging was pretty lousy, not the worst, but certainly not 90K level. The sterile quality to the sound made us take the least amount of time there without being obvious we were turned off. Wide mode improved the off axis response, but it didn't make the speaker sound any better

As we were leaving the sales rep said "So should we go ahead and wrap up the pair for you to take home". We had a good chuckle and thanked the rep for his time and left. My father said "I wouldn't even take them as a gift"...

I want to say for our ears it wasn't very good, but frankly it was just about as good as most speakers costing a 10th of the price.
    You mentioned some' to the effect of "imaging"; is this a general consensus by professional audio expert ears of reviewers?
    To me imaging is the reason of existence. The more, the better, anywhere, everywhere, I feel 'holographically' alive (real 3D).

Addicted to Best!
    Here's some of the reviews on these all new Martin Logan ESL's

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...3A-11A-Reviews

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! Believe High Fidelity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    You mentioned some' to the effect of "imaging"; is this a general consensus by professional audio expert ears of reviewers?
    To me imaging is the reason of existence. The more, the better, anywhere, everywhere, I feel 'holographically' alive (real 3D).
    There was nothing 3D about it in what I would consider 3D. Best way to describe the quality of imaging is artificial. Sure it is accurate but there was not depth, no air around the voices or instruments that sounded life-like. Like the best of hifi, but not reality
    Believe High Fidelity Ltd is the North American Distributor for:

Aries Cerat Ltd
    Torqueo Audio
    Vermouth Audio Cables
    Etsuro Urushi Cartridges
    Primary Control
    Echo Diastasis

Kassandra Limited Edition DAC wins Best DAC of 2016/2017 with reviewer purchase @ Mono & Stereo! Article here

Like us on Facebook!

Email: j@Ibelieveinhifi.com
    Web: www.ibelieveinhifi.com
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Believe High Fidelity View Post
    There was nothing 3D about it in what I would consider 3D. Best way to describe the quality of imaging is artificial. Sure it is accurate but there was not depth, no air around the voices or instruments that sounded life-like. Like the best of hifi, but not reality
    That is exactly what suggested to me that something was amiss in this setup because I have experienced that myself at 2 B&O demos. However, at B&O in Struer, at their London shop and chez moi, the imaging was stunning. Several experienced listeners were equally impressed. (FWIW, I have been generally disappointed with the audio at B&O shops in the past.)
    http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round/

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast