Stereophile | January 2017 Issue

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

http://www.stereophile.com/content/happy-new-year-little-early#biL0cMXmm14CjHma.97

"We're celebrating the imminent arrival of our January 2017 issue, chock full of great stuff. MartinLogan's superb Renaissance ESL15A electrostatic is featured on the cover, but we also have a rave review of B&O's groundbreaking BeoLab90 speaker, measurements of Auditorium 23's retro Cinema Hommage speaker, reviews of headphone amplifiers from Audeze and Woo Audio, and an interview with a veteran of both the audio and music industries, Joe Harley of AudioQuest and Music Matters.
Plus all the usual features, including Art Dudley trading in his antique Altec Valencia speaker for equally antique Altec Flamencos, and Robert Baird on jazz record labels and Allman Brothers reissues. Our first issue of 2017 is a keeper!"

_____

* Bonus:

_____

** Extra: http://www.stereophile.com/content/cd-tweaks-listening-tests#s4qdVzVyTzrk2id6.97
_____

*** This space is empty, for future comments (see below):

? ? ?

? ? ?

Can't wait.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Heard these at Munich earlier this yr, and IMHO it was the standout sound at the show
Quite something w Wilson Alexias and Cessaro Gammas making delectable sounds as well

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I was anticipating that review from Kal with great interest; this is no ordinary loudspeaker...it's a revolutionary one. We are evolving in the audio/music world.
Forget about standard measurements; you can't measure with conventional measuring gear. If you do you are lost beneath the real audio magic, IMO.

They are expensive, but much less expensive than the "Godzilla" boys and girls.
With time the technology will spread to even less expensive designs, and they'll reach and even surpass the big boys from the ultra expensive high-end.
I believe, without a doubt; it's part of audio acoustic evolution.

I would love to hear more from Kal's future projection right here.
_______

This thread is about the latest Stereophile's edition: January 2017 with the latest articles from December 2016.

• This too is included: Wilson Audio's Ultimate Loudspeaker: the WAMM Master Chronosonic

• And this: Industry Profile: Ken Ishiwata—Brand Ambassador, Marantz

? The ? Music, other articles, audio gurus and audio reviews, Christmas 2016 ... all that jazz ? http://www.stereophile.com/

Anything you want to discuss relating to Stereophile's latest, this is it right here; the audio/music world is vast, including the BeoLab 90's wide spread optimized sound for any seat in the house. We are expanding, on all aspects of our passions...stereo and beyond.
______

* The BeoLab 90 loudspeakers were discussed in several threads here @ WBF, including links to articles, youtube videos, pictures (in&out), technical specs and pdf papers, promotional stuff, professional reviews, graphics, ...the full audio canopy.
...And this thread too: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18641-B-amp-O-Beolab-90&highlight=beolab

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I was anticipating that review from Kal with great interest; this is no ordinary loudspeaker...it's a revolutionary one. We are evolving in the audio/music world.
Forget about standard measurements; you can't measure with conventional measuring gear. If you do you are lost beneath the real audio magic, IMO.

With time the technology will spread to even less expensive designs, and they'll reach and even surpass the big boys from the ultra expensive high-end.

Thanks for posting the review, Bob. This is super-exciting technology, and if I were to look for the ultimate speaker, with the money to spend, I'd certainly want to make sure to hear it.

My own room may be a bit too small for such a large speaker; it has the same length as Kal's room, and is even a bit higher (8.5 feet), but it is is a closed room and over most of its length narrower (12 feet), while it does have a small window bay around the left speaker that extends the room to 13.5 feet.

But then, the technology seems to promise that usual issues with large speakers in not very large rooms may be mitigated.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.

This review is the revenge of the Martin Logan panels :). Just look at the John Atkinson conclusion in the measurements section:

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,519

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob,

You must not read The Absolute Sound :D:p

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
Agree completely! I have the next model down (Expression ESL 13A's), and was REALLY looking forward to an in-depth review, comparing the new line to the prior Summit X and Montis models, vs. the non-hybrid CLX, focusing on overall bass/panel integration. Fortunately, JA answered that question indirectly with his measurements (flattest response he's ever measured). I would also have liked him to inquire why ML chose a 300 Hz crossover for all three of the top Masterpiece models, despite their different sized stat panels. He also should have listened with a tube pre and/or amp, to see if the ? perceived brightness was still there.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the Expressions, and hope future reviews of the new Masterpiece series will be more substantial in content.

Bob,

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,

I didn't read the review yet; too busy Christmas shopping. It should hit online soon, for everyone to read and comment and all that jazz ...
And from what I could gather here and there, like from Francisco on the previous page, John Iverson and John Atkinson gave it a passing grade, with high ?

* Bonus: A Multitude of Angels | Keith Jarrett

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
MartinLogan Masterpiece Renaissance ESL 15A Loudspeaker Review

MartinLogan Masterpiece Renaissance ESL 15A loudspeaker | Review

By Jon Iverson • Posted: Dec 22, 2016

* See, I knew it would be online soon...less than twenty-four hours since I first mentioned it yesterday.

Now we're open to all comments and comparisons between the ML ESL 15A and B&O Beolab 90 reviews (+ graphs) from that Stereophile January 2017 Isssue.

Me, I would explore all avenues (pros & cons) of each mechanical system with an objective and practical view before I declare the one that could suit/accommodate me the best in my own philosophic "room" and soul and personal music taste.

Don't forget, the ML is much less expensive and if you're inclined it could be mated with some external DSP, like Room Perfect or Dirac Live. Plus of course some external amplification, like from Devialet or d'Agostino.

Bonus:

Money is irrelevant; only the best sound in our own room with our own tweaked audio gear and the music we love listening to count.
And there is always someone else with better audio gear and better music taste and better master music recordings.
Main thing is to respect both sides and have fun. Easier said than done. :b

Happy Holidays,

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Folks were in town visiting and took them to the B&O Store to hear these speakers. Heard them once before earlier this year, but the sales rep said the DSP software was not implemented at the time so we were not getting the full effects of what the speaker could do.

Everyone of my audio group did not like the speaker and left shortly after arriving. I remember the most impressive result from listening was a bass track used in car bass competitions. It rang 5 tones from 40hz down to 5hz and the sales rep challenged us to see if we could hear all 5 tones which were able to. The clean projection of the bass down to 5hz left me hopeful when we revisited the speaker today 6 months later.

The sales rep played several familiar tracks Eagles Hotel California, Steely Dan Gaucho, and a few others as well as a movie mode. We also went through all three DSP options Narrow/Wide/Omni. Movie mode was not bad.

Needless to say the result was the same. Bass was smooth in its response and the clarity was there as it was before. The imaging was pretty lousy, not the worst, but certainly not 90K level. The sterile quality to the sound made us take the least amount of time there without being obvious we were turned off. Wide mode improved the off axis response, but it didn't make the speaker sound any better

As we were leaving the sales rep said "So should we go ahead and wrap up the pair for you to take home". We had a good chuckle and thanked the rep for his time and left. My father said "I wouldn't even take them as a gift"...

I want to say for our ears it wasn't very good, but frankly it was just about as good as most speakers costing a 10th of the price.

Sorry..

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Folks were in town visiting and took them to the B&O Store to hear these speakers. Heard them once before earlier this year, but the sales rep said the DSP software was not implemented at the time so we were not getting the full effects of what the speaker could do.

Everyone of my audio group did not like the speaker and left shortly after arriving. I remember the most impressive result from listening was a bass track used in car bass competitions. It rang 5 tones from 40hz down to 5hz and the sales rep challenged us to see if we could hear all 5 tones which were able to. The clean projection of the bass down to 5hz left me hopeful when we revisited the speaker today 6 months later.

The sales rep played several familiar tracks Eagles Hotel California, Steely Dan Gaucho, and a few others as well as a movie mode. We also went through all three DSP options Narrow/Wide/Omni. Movie mode was not bad.

Needless to say the result was the same. Bass was smooth in its response and the clarity was there as it was before. The imaging was pretty lousy, not the worst, but certainly not 90K level. The sterile quality to the sound made us take the least amount of time there without being obvious we were turned off. Wide mode improved the off axis response, but it didn't make the speaker sound any better

As we were leaving the sales rep said "So should we go ahead and wrap up the pair for you to take home". We had a good chuckle and thanked the rep for his time and left. My father said "I wouldn't even take them as a gift"...

I want to say for our ears it wasn't very good, but frankly it was just about as good as most speakers costing a 10th of the price.

You mentioned some' to the effect of "imaging"; is this a general consensus by professional audio expert ears of reviewers?
To me imaging is the reason of existence. The more, the better, anywhere, everywhere, I feel 'holographically' alive (real 3D).

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
You mentioned some' to the effect of "imaging"; is this a general consensus by professional audio expert ears of reviewers?
To me imaging is the reason of existence. The more, the better, anywhere, everywhere, I feel 'holographically' alive (real 3D).

There was nothing 3D about it in what I would consider 3D. Best way to describe the quality of imaging is artificial. Sure it is accurate but there was not depth, no air around the voices or instruments that sounded life-like. Like the best of hifi, but not reality

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
There was nothing 3D about it in what I would consider 3D. Best way to describe the quality of imaging is artificial. Sure it is accurate but there was not depth, no air around the voices or instruments that sounded life-like. Like the best of hifi, but not reality
That is exactly what suggested to me that something was amiss in this setup because I have experienced that myself at 2 B&O demos. However, at B&O in Struer, at their London shop and chez moi, the imaging was stunning. Several experienced listeners were equally impressed. (FWIW, I have been generally disappointed with the audio at B&O shops in the past.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing