Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stereophile | January 2017 Issue

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada

Post Stereophile | January 2017 Issue

http://www.stereophile.com/content/h...MXmm14CjHma.97

"We're celebrating the imminent arrival of our January 2017 issue, chock full of great stuff. MartinLogan's superb Renaissance ESL15A electrostatic is featured on the cover, but we also have a rave review of B&O's groundbreaking BeoLab90 speaker, measurements of Auditorium 23's retro Cinema Hommage speaker, reviews of headphone amplifiers from Audeze and Woo Audio, and an interview with a veteran of both the audio and music industries, Joe Harley of AudioQuest and Music Matters.
    Plus all the usual features, including Art Dudley trading in his antique Altec Valencia speaker for equally antique Altec Flamencos, and Robert Baird on jazz record labels and Allman Brothers reissues. Our first issue of 2017 is a keeper!"

_____

* Bonus:

_____

** Extra: http://www.stereophile.com/content/c...zVyTzrk2id6.97
    _____

*** This space is empty, for future comments (see below):

→ ↓ ←

↨ → ↑

Can't wait.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    yeah i read about it before , this is definetively one of the coolest LS designs i know of, very flat above 1 khz naturally with apparently no correction above 1 khz as taken form the stereophile measurments , quite a lot bass energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFVp3nZUyE
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 12-21-2016 at 01:01 PM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Heard these at Munich earlier this yr, and IMHO it was the standout sound at the show
    Quite something w Wilson Alexias and Cessaro Gammas making delectable sounds as well

I was anticipating that review from Kal with great interest; this is no ordinary loudspeaker...it's a revolutionary one. We are evolving in the audio/music world.
    Forget about standard measurements; you can't measure with conventional measuring gear. If you do you are lost beneath the real audio magic, IMO.

They are expensive, but much less expensive than the "Godzilla" boys and girls.
    With time the technology will spread to even less expensive designs, and they'll reach and even surpass the big boys from the ultra expensive high-end.
    I believe, without a doubt; it's part of audio acoustic evolution.

I would love to hear more from Kal's future projection right here.
    _______

This thread is about the latest Stereophile's edition: January 2017 with the latest articles from December 2016.

• This too is included: Wilson Audio's Ultimate Loudspeaker: the WAMM Master Chronosonic

• And this: Industry Profile: Ken Ishiwata—Brand Ambassador, Marantz

♠ The ♫ Music, other articles, audio gurus and audio reviews, Christmas 2016 ... all that jazz → http://www.stereophile.com/

Anything you want to discuss relating to Stereophile's latest, this is it right here; the audio/music world is vast, including the BeoLab 90's wide spread optimized sound for any seat in the house. We are expanding, on all aspects of our passions...stereo and beyond.
    ______

* The BeoLab 90 loudspeakers were discussed in several threads here @ WBF, including links to articles, youtube videos, pictures (in&out), technical specs and pdf papers, promotional stuff, professional reviews, graphics, ...the full audio canopy.
    ...And this thread too: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ghlight=beolab
    Last edited by NorthStar; 12-21-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I was anticipating that review from Kal with great interest; this is no ordinary loudspeaker...it's a revolutionary one. We are evolving in the audio/music world.
    Forget about standard measurements; you can't measure with conventional measuring gear. If you do you are lost beneath the real audio magic, IMO.

They are expensive, but much less expensive than the "Godzilla" boys and girls.
    With time the technology will spread to even less expensive designs, and they'll reach and even surpass the big boys from the ultra expensive high-end.
    I believe, without a doubt; it's part of audio acoustic evolution.

I would love to hear more from Kal's future projection right here.
    Thanks for posting the review, Bob. This is super-exciting technology, and if I were to look for the ultimate speaker, with the money to spend, I'd certainly want to make sure to hear it.

My own room may be a bit too small for such a large speaker; it has the same length as Kal's room, and is even a bit higher (8.5 feet), but it is is a closed room and over most of its length narrower (12 feet), while it does have a small window bay around the left speaker that extends the room to 13.5 feet.

But then, the technology seems to promise that usual issues with large speakers in not very large rooms may be mitigated.

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar
    Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Bob,

I found the ML ESL 15A review to be just about useless. Worst I've read over some 25 years. Mostly rehashing of old history and a bunch of jibberish comparing it to the Prodigy and comments about which position sounded best to various listeners.

Comments based on having owned 4 different ML models over some 25 years and reading numerous ML reviews over that period.
    This review is the revenge of the Martin Logan panels . Just look at the John Atkinson conclusion in the measurements section:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack.

Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Bob,

You must not read The Absolute Sound
    Oppo Modwright BDP-105 full mod
    Pass Labs INT-60
    Acoustic Zen Crescendos
    Acoustic Zen cables

Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast