RCA inputs on ATAE LNP-3 tape preamp?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm so glad I use balanced cables... 110 ohm AES standard!!! :D

As stated above... I used to use MADI BNC coax years and years ago. This was an AES standard DSD carrier at the time before everyone got on the Optical bandwagon. With MADI coax, you could carry 64 channels of DSD music!!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Larry, the 3.0 isn't the current version?

Yes, but Nick has some new improvements he is introducing. I think mine is one of the first ones with the improvements. Larry

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, but Nick has some new improvements he is introducing. I think mine is one of the first ones with the improvements. Larry

Any details? I have a 3.0 too.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
I'm told that switching from 1/4" to 1/2" head blocks and guides (which I've done and only takes 5 minutes) is not ideal due to micro adjustments needed for optimal tape tension for ideal performance. but this is not anything I know for myself, only told to me by much more technically expert people. . . . I think one needs some pretty good tools and knowledge to adjust tape tension.

Please find better experts Mike. Yours are giving you incorrect information. You do not need tools and knowledge to adjust tape tensions on an A820 when changing between the quarter and half-inch formats. Please see my post on this topic under a new subject heading.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
ATAE Studer SHRO headblocks

Hi Fred,

I went to http://www.ataudioeng.com/

Are SHRO headblocks (1/4", 1/2") available for a Studer A820-2/2 VU?
Thanks.

Hi Sam,

The short answer is yes, we have a few of the earlier versions still available. The pic I include here is of an early version (a half-inch SHRO with Flux head).

SHRO 0.5 inch Flux Magnetics extended response 1.jpg

The longer answer is that the design of our SHRO headblocks has evolved over the fifteen years that I have been building them.

Today, we no longer build them on the stock Studer headblock chassis, for either our Model One or Model Two.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Sam,

The short answer is yes, we have a few of the earlier versions still available. The pic I include here is of an early version (a half-inch SHRO with Flux head).

View attachment 30154

The longer answer is that the design of our SHRO headblocks has evolved over the fifteen years that I have been building them.

Today, we no longer build them on the stock Studer headblock chassis, for either our Model One or Model Two.

That sure looks terrific, Fred...practically, irresistible!
:p

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been speaking with Fred about a new version of a drop-in ATAE SHRO headblock (with an original Studer repro head) for stock A820s and A80s.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
[FONT=palatino\ linotype]Look forward to reading of developments.[/FONT] :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing