Smart TVs and security software

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Earlier today I took delivery and installed into my system (full details on my profile) a new 4K Sony smart TV which has internet access and Google pre installed.
Happily all went smoothly but I then wondered how secure it would be on the internet so contacted Norton to see if I could install my Norton 360 on the TV along with the laptop.They advised me that Norton is not compatible with smart TVs so I am currently a bit wary of surfing on the TV unless I do it by hooking up my laptop, which is protected, to it.
Has anybody got any experience or thoughts on this issue that they could share?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is very poor security on these devices. They run operating systems but don't do a fraction of major companies do to keep their operating systems secure. Used to be that these devices were not target of hackers but the last DDOS that brought half the US Internet to its knees went after routers which similar poor security. So for sure I would use the laptop instead of browsing on the TV. Performance and compatibility is going to be better anyway.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you very much Amir for such a helpful and prompt reply.
I had a recollection of the events you refer to which happily prompted me to make the enquiries and obviously I will follow your advice.
Best wishes,
Barry

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Makes me very but truly wary of this new IOT, Internet Of Things, notion going around these past few years ... Dangerous doesn't even begin to qualify what this can unleash on the unsuspecting (AKA most of the World Population)...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Barry,

Is your new Sony 4K TV compatible with 3D? :b

And do you have Netflix app?
______

* Few years ago I was asking if it was necessary to have an anti-virus for our Androids and iPhones (tablets).
Amir would know best.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob,
Good to hear from you and I hope you are well.
I didn't want 3D so no but yes it does have the Netflix app which I have never tried previously but will give it a try.
Malwarebytes have just told me that their software is for Windows so no go there.It's android and Opera.

I'll stick to the laptop for surfing
Best wishes,
Barry

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just an update.
Malwarebytes advised me that their software is also for Windows but that they have an android system for smart phones and tablets through a free app but I would need to check whether the TV would allow me to add security software to what is already installed.
I checked with the retailers tech support line. They advised me that Sony do not allow the addition of other security software. They tell me that the Sony android software has its own security software which is similar to that of Apple and is very effective.
Not sure how much I can rely on that so inclined to stick with my original intention of only surfing on the TV via my well protected laptop - Norton 360 and Malwarebytes 3.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Smart TVs are "walled gardens" controlled by the set manufacturer. They all aspire to be another Apple or Google controlling and making money from an "app store." So instead of letting Google with its huge income and resources maintain the OS and apps for them, they have all chosen to get into that business by themselves. Problem is that TV business is a money losing business so it does not at all support large and sophisticated staff it takes to update and secure these devices for users after the sale. On top of this, due to variations from TV to TV, it is super expensive for software developers to create unique versions of their software for each platform as opposed to doing one for Google and having all of its supported devices (more or less) work.

Net, net, even if the device runs Android, it means nothing as far as compatibility with other Android platforms.

As to what the sales person said about Sony, I used to work there back in 1990s. While a lot is changed I am sure, I would put money on anything than trust what they told you on security. After all, this is the company that has had spectacular breaches of their Playstation network and the entire company itself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing