Zitron Cobra Power cord VS Hydra HC VTX

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I bought from my dealer a used Hydra HC VTX power cord. A very nice and sturdy cable. From the web, the specs are 9 awg, VTX conductors. I already own a Zitron Cobra. I know it has smaller 10 awg conductors. I am not sure if it has VTX conductors. A web search is inconclusive (it seems the Zitron Python and Anaconda have VTX conductors, but not the Cobra). Can anyone confirm if the Cobra has VTX conductors or not?

I was wondering if there was a clear cut better cable between the two? I use the Cobra on a straight 8 outlet power bar (Cablepro Revelation) with no lights, breaker or filtration of its own. I have a Venom Defender plugged into the power bar, with my integrated amp, headphone amp, Universal Blu Ray player and DAC.

I also have a Furutech 8 outlet distributor (eTP 80), with 4 of the 8 outlets having digital filters for digital gear. I plug the noisier digital gear in this distributor: Plasma TV, PVR cable box, Apple TV, and a Mac Mini I use as a music server. I also have a Venom Defender in this distributor. I had a Shunyata Copperhead power cord feeding the distributor. I replaced the Copperhead with the Hydra HC VTX. Both the Distributor and power bar are plugged into the same receptacle/outlet on the wall.

I tend to think the better power cable should go on the power bar, to feed my integrated amp and DAC. I also wonder if the Cobra would be better on the Furutech distributor feeding the digital gear, because the Cobra is shielded. Maybe the Hydra HC VTX would be better on the power bar with the more analog components, because I believe it is not shielded.

Any information would be appreciated! I don't think there is really a wrong way to do this, but it's just about maximizing and fine tuning the system.

So to recap, I have two questions:

Is there a clear cut better cable between the Zitron Cobra and Hydra HC VTX?

Is one better suited feeding a power bar with more analog audiophile components, and one better suited for feeding a power distributor with noisier digital components?

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I bought from my dealer a used Hydra HC VTX power cord. A very nice and sturdy cable. From the web, the specs are 9 awg, VTX conductors. I already own a Zitron Cobra. I know it has smaller 10 awg conductors. I am not sure if it has VTX conductors. A web search is inconclusive (it seems the Zitron Python and Anaconda have VTX conductors, but not the Cobra). Can anyone confirm if the Cobra has VTX conductors or not?

I was wondering if there was a clear cut better cable between the two? I use the Cobra on a straight 8 outlet power bar (Cablepro Revelation) with no lights, breaker or filtration of its own. I have a Venom Defender plugged into the power bar, with my integrated amp, headphone amp, Universal Blu Ray player and DAC.

I also have a Furutech 8 outlet distributor (eTP 80), with 4 of the 8 outlets having digital filters for digital gear. I plug the noisier digital gear in this distributor: Plasma TV, PVR cable box, Apple TV, and a Mac Mini I use as a music server. I also have a Venom Defender in this distributor. I had a Shunyata Copperhead power cord feeding the distributor. I replaced the Copperhead with the Alpha HC VTX. Both the Distributor and power bar are plugged into the same receptacle/outlet on the wall.

I tend to think the better power cable should go on the power bar, to feed my integrated amp and DAC. I also wonder if the Cobra would be better on the Furutech distributor feeding the digital gear, because the Cobra is shielded. Maybe the Alpha HC VTX would be better on the power bar with the more analog components, because I believe it is not shielded.

Any information would be appreciated! I don't think there is really a wrong way to do this, but it's just about maximizing and fine tuning the system.

So to recap, I have two questions:

Is there a clear cut better cable between the Zitron Cobra and Alpha HC VTX?

Is one better suited feeding a power bar with more analog audiophile components, and one better suited for feeding a power distributor with noisier digital components?

Put the Copperhead cable back on the Furutech power strip. Put the Hydra-HC on the Cablepro strip. Use the Alpha-HC cable for your integrated amp.

Neither the Cobra or Alpha cable use VTX comductors.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
Put the Copperhead cable back on the Furutech power strip. Put the Hydra-HC on the Cablepro strip. Use the Alpha-HC cable for your integrated amp.

Neither the Cobra or Alpha cable use VTX comductors.

Thanks for the information Caelin. I made a mistake in my initial post. I wrote Alpha in some places where I should have written Hydra. Just to make it clear, I am talking about a Zitron Cobra VS a Hydra HC VTX (I don't have an Alpha HC). Sorry about that! I have edited my initial post to correct the mistakes. I have a Naim integrated amp and it already has Naim's top powercord the Powerline. It is made for Naim gear and tends to be the best choice, or at least my preferred choice for Naim gear. I would prefer not to replace this cable.

ALR-0307.jpg

ALR-0308.jpg

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
In that case it would be a tough choice to make. Both are excellent cords with minor dfferences in sound quality. There are no technical reasons to choose one over the other so just try it both ways and go with what you prefer.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
In that case it would be a tough choice to make. Both are excellent cords with minor dfferences in sound quality. There are no technical reasons to choose one over the other so just try it both ways and go with what you prefer.

Thank you for the information Caelin. Regards.

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I have a question for Caelin or Grant. What kind of connectors are on the Hydra HC VTX power cord? Are they Copperconns? If not, do they have all copper contacts like the Copperconns?

Indy

Dec 14, 2014
I have a question for Caelin or Grant. What kind of connectors are on the Hydra HC VTX power cord? Are they Copperconns? If not, do they have all copper contacts like the Copperconns?

I don't mean to be pushy, but does someone have an answer to my question? Maybe my question wasn't seen by Caelin or Grant. Either way, the Hydra HC VTX is a great power cord.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I don't mean to be pushy, but does someone have an answer to my question? Maybe my question wasn't seen by Caelin or Grant. Either way, the Hydra HC VTX is a great power cord.

Sorry for missing your question. However, you do realize that there are many audio forums and several forum/dealers on the internet. We don't and can't really monitor all of these forums daily. If you have a technical question or product question please send it to us directly info@shunyata.com if you need a prompt response.

No, the Hydra VTX does not use the CopperCONN connectors. They use a connector that has cryogenically treated brass contacts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing