Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Best? Soulution, CH Precision, Vitus, or Ayre?

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
    Hi Ron
    Hope you are well.
    I am no expert on tube amplifiers and I have no quarrel at all with those who prefer them to SS, but I prefer the convenience and generally more neutral sound of SS.Certainly in Class A in particular the Vitus amps do have tube like qualities and provide me with the balance of sound quality and convenience which I prefer along with outstanding build quality and aesthetics.
    +1 on Class A sound for my own personal preference, and I am a tube guy whose prior amp was a CJ mid-powered tube amp. I would not go back now for sure, but i felt i lost nothing when the original Gryphon Antileon arrived, and certainly have gained since the Colosseum arrived home.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus Gen5/MM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Of the amps have compared Vitus and boulder are my.favorite. I have heard CH and Ayre in shows only so can't compare, though the vivid with CH at a show was sounding great.

The Vitus is full bodied and dense and a great tone, extremely liquid and flowing. The boulder is clean, fast, transparent, more power, and sounds very different from Vitus. If I select Boulder, it will be over Spectral, Gryphon, and Burmester, while Vitus will have a very different sound.

Boulder microdynamics and inflections in vocals were great. Ian for you it's easy to go to Manhattan and listen to Vitus at rsvinta's on Magico. Pick up one of his many Goldmund Apologues on the way back. He won't notice if one is missing, he has been selling so many

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Ian for you it's easy to go to Manhattan and listen to Vitus at rsvinta's on Magico. Pick up one of his many Goldmund Apologues on the way back. He won't notice if one is missing, he has been selling so many
    LOL! Yeah Bob has been BUSY! Great guy
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

I am considering one of these amps to drive my woofers in an active multichannel setup. I want something clean, dynamic, and with extraordinary bass control. The rest of the audio spectrum doesn't really matter, since it will be crossed over to my valve amps Which amplifier does the collective wisdom of WBF think is best? Thus far I have been impressed with Boulder.
    Classical music enthusiast. System photos here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Barry, do you believe the Vitus amps match the natural musicality which you like from tube amplifiers?

(I do not mean to open up a can of worms about the definition of "natural musicality." I simply am repeating Barry's term in however he means it.)
    I went from Nagra class A valves to solid state. With Vitus the over spec UI transformer has a lot to do with the valve like presentation. No replacement valves or biasing to worry about. With the SIA 025 you forget it's an integrated, you forget its only 25 watts in class A. It's just switch on and enjoy.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    I went from Nagra class A valves to solid state. With Vitus the over spec UI transformer has a lot to do with the valve like presentation. No replacement valves or biasing to worry about. With the SIA 025 you forget it's an integrated, you forget its only 25 watts in class A. It's just switch on and enjoy.
    +1
    My experience too

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    I had Ayre MXR's for ~6 years. Just loved those amps. Replaced BAT VK 150SE's. First amps that got me away from tubes.

Then the MXR-20 came out. While "technically" better, seemed to loose that emotional connection I had with the MXR's. 5 different amp combo's when through my room...when the Nagra Classic came...it stayed...technically better and emotionally. And it was the cheapest...go figure. I'll get to hear a 2nd Classic and the Nagra HD amps soon. I'd add Nagra to your list...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry2013 View Post
    +1
    My experience too
    Hey JFrech, if you are going to hear further Nagra amps, have you ever heard Vitus before? I continue to think of Andy Payor and his penchant for Gryphon, where perhaps Vitus is another stellar Class A amp.
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A Lines w/ Furutech Outlets / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    Hey JFrech, if you are going to hear further Nagra amps, have you ever heard Vitus before? I continue to think of Andy Payor and his penchant for Gryphon, where perhaps Vitus is another stellar Class A amp.
    My dealer has a Nagra Classic amp also, so likely before end of year I'll hear a 2nd Classic in my system (so strapped to mono-which is sometime good and sometimes bad). Also I'll get to hear the Nagra HD amps in my home soon (in about 6-8 weeks). Dealer also has a Classic preamp on order, so I'll hear a "full" Nagra system. I had a Nagra PLL before my Koda K10 (but with Ayre amps)...That Nagra PLL was hard to beat (I preferred it to a BAT Rex, Aesthetix Callisto, ARC something, and Ayre KXR-the Koda K10 beat em all)

The Nagra (non hd line) is pretty reasonable $$ wise considering what it stacks it against. It's really not a 10 in anything...but certainly a 9 in almost everything. Kinda like a Porsche 911. A Corvette beats it on power. A ferrari shifts faster, the Audi better grip... etc, etc, etc...but the the Porsche wins the lap time via a combo of good breaking, good handling, good engine and trans....

I am curious on amps right now. Wondering if a Gryphon is something I should listen too. I agree with the class A fans out there...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post

I am curious on amps right now. Wondering if a Gryphon is something I should listen too. I agree with the class A fans out there...
    If you can, i would highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    If you can, i would highly recommend it!
    can you send me yours for a few weeks? I promise to mail a check soon
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast