Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Best? Soulution, CH Precision, Vitus, or Ayre?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    If the question is what are the best amps, then the Boulder 3000 series has to be considered.
    be careful what you ask for.

you should read Fremer's Boulder 2150 mono block review in the new Stereophile. you have to select the compromises you prefer.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    be careful what you ask for.

you should read Fremer's Boulder 2150 mono block review in the new Stereophile. you have to select the compromises you prefer.
    Mike, I have to admit when I read that review it confirmed all my Boulder demos/thoughts in the past - I honestly thought I was the only one. I think people are addicted to the build quality moreso than the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Mike, I have to admit when I read that review it confirmed all my Boulder demos/thoughts in the past - I honestly thought I was the only one. I think people are addicted to the build quality moreso than the sound.
    well....I agree with that.....but more so I think it speaks to references used when judging a mega amp. who has another mega amp sitting there to compare it to that has no global feedback and minimal parts count that succeeds at musicality objectively. I think if you listen to a Boulder compared to many solid state amps it's relatively musical. but in relation to what? and that's the rub.

the great is the enemy of the merely very good.

of course; Fremer does not need to be politically correct. if that was Absolute Sound it would read quite different.

choose your compromises wisely.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 01-11-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Note that I did not say the 2000 series, I said the 3000 series. I auditioned the 2160 for a long time and decided NOT to buy it. I heard a lot of amps before I bought the Boulder 3060. The 3000 series are in a whole different league. You should read the 3050 review in Tone Audio.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    Note that I did not say the 2000 series, I said the 3000 series. I auditioned the 2160 for a long time and decided NOT to buy it. I heard a lot of amps before I bought the Boulder 3060. The 3000 series are in a whole different league. You should read the 3050 review in Tone Audio.
    what amps do they compare the Boulder 3000 series to in Tone Audio?

added note; I did go and read quickly through that Tone Audio review (which it appears was done at the Boulder factory or listening room). very over the top and I'm sure it's an amazing amplifier that few will experience due to the power grid requirements (and investment required).

the only comparisons are with other Boulder amplifiers. so we are left to only guess at how our different amplifiers might compare.

congrats on owning those monsters.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 01-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Is the 2150 a full class A design , i know from the boulder site the 3000 series are , .....well it reads about the same as the 2150 after all

Bias operation is Class-A to full rated output power and managed with an analog circuit that minimizes heat and power consumption ( 3000 series )

This is all i could find of the 2150 : Full Class-A biasing actively managed with an analog circuit that reduces heat and improves efficiency.

From my expirience with the 1060 ( AB design ) it sounded somewhat( not a lot) sterile/reserved , so the " Class A Glow " might solve that , havent read the review yet.

Best Solid state basscontrol i ever heard apart from halcro , and construction wise , well love it , it could indeed be a reason to own boulder.

Convergent has great control too ,but its in a different way
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 01-11-2017 at 12:28 PM.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Another sure thing that the CAT JL 2 sign will never achieve besides some annoying transformer hum is this :

Boulder 2150 : Signal-to-noise ratio: 135dB, unweighted, 2020kHz.

Boulder is dead quit which improves dynamic contrast

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I guess you're not a fan of neutral, Keith?
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s, CAT Legend, CH Precision P1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / SCPS-1 / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon / dCS Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna cables / Shunyata Denali 6000T, Sigma Zitron PC's / Furutech outlets
    Misc: Steve Blinn Designs rack & amp stands

I finally read Mike Fremer's review of the 2150s. It reads very like the review of the Boulder 2060 in www.positive-feedback/Issue27/2060_boulder.htm some years ago. I agree with his review of the 2150s but he does, IMHO, make one error. He writes at the very end of the review: "You can't have everything." Actually, you can.

The reason I did not buy a 2160 (the stereo version of the 2150s) is that it was only a little better than my 2060 and I had already heard the 3050s at the Boulder factory. The 3050s get it all - the Tone Audio review is right. I expected the 3060 (the stereo version of the 3050s) to also get it all -- and it does. My audio friends who complained that the 2060 wasn't quite "musical" enough were floored by the 3060.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast