What's Best? Soulution, CH Precision, Vitus, or Ayre?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What are your thoughts on these brands? Do you like one brand over the other? If so, why? Is it purely subjective at this level or do you feel some of these brands have significant shortcomings, colorations or compromises?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are your thoughts on these brands? Do you like one brand over the other? If so, why? Is it purely subjective at this level or do you feel some of these brands have significant shortcomings, colorations or compromises?

Hi MadFloyd,

I think all of these are reference level - all are really, really good. There are also others missing from your list like Pass, Boulder, Gryphon, Balabo, etc. Some are marketed much better than others and have more fanboys in the media than others.

People affected by marketing and viral buzz, as well as fanboys, may "oooh and ahhh" about one or the other. But the reality is that rarely will one be completely dominant over another on every facet of performance to a disinterested third party who can think more rationally or prefers a different brand than the ones under discussion and clearly hears the differences.

The only "objective" consideration is to get as much power as you can. I know people go crazy over tweaks and other bullsh!t, which should only be applied after you get the big blocks in place! Just check how many hits threads like "I love my still points" get, vs. threads on amplifier power. Yet, when your amplifier has total control over a speaker, you hear every verve, nuance, and micro-dynamic shading the music presents. No bullsh!t footer, upgraded tube, or fuse tweak can fix that.

The most critical thing in this hobby is to find your taste. Once you get in the ball park, sit back and enjoy, as you can't hear every piece of gear without a lot of money, time, health for your back, and your mental health. Here's a great article from a stereophile reviewer who is a psychology professor in real life.

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/are_you_a_sharpener_or_a_leveler/index.html#AMbfV32jt0zRO4WO.97

Good Luck

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I agree with Caesar's perspective, but it might be helpful to narrow the focus of your question (does this involve a decision you are trying to make?) and even to specific models within those brands.

otherwise it becomes a beauty contest among brands and even why others are not included......not that discussing brand characteristics objectively does not have merit but it's rarely achieved. it's like sports teams or religion.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with most of the sentiments expressed herein...but I still must say that, as good as the individual equipment is, combining those components AND setup still matter (a lot). And yes, that does mean 'the tweaks' which include good isolation, room treatment, and paying attention to power and grounding. It will not change the components' intrinsic sound (unless those tweaks are quite extreme...in which case, be careful)...but they WILL allow me to hear 'more' of what the components are already capable of doing (in my experience).

For me, this applies to Gryphon, Zanden, CJ, Wilson, Transparent Cables, Burmester (Power Conditioner) and of course the Velodyne.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Agree with most of the sentiments expressed herein...but I still must say that, as good as the individual equipment is, combining those components AND setup still matter (a lot). And yes, that does mean 'the tweaks' which include good isolation, room treatment, and paying attention to power and grounding. It will not change the components' intrinsic sound (unless those tweaks are quite extreme...in which case, be careful)...but they WILL allow me to hear 'more' of what the components are already capable of doing (in my experience).

For me, this applies to Gryphon, Zanden, CJ, Wilson, Transparent Cables, Burmester (Power Conditioner) and of course the Velodyne.

Hi LL,

Not disagreeing regarding setup and tweeking with you, but should be done after getting the right amp. My point is that if someone's amplifier is a pusssy, all that work is a waste of time.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL,

Not disagreeing regarding setup and tweeking with you, but should be done after getting the right amp. My point is that if someone's amplifier is a pusssy, all that work is a waste of time.

Hi Caesar...thanks for the clarification and 100% Agree with you on that! Getting the wrong and trying to tweak around it just becomes a band-aid on a wound that actually needs surgery first. I am betting you and I have witnessed this far too many times on systems.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
To my ears the Vitus amps have a natural musicality that I like

Barry, do you believe the Vitus amps match the natural musicality which you like from tube amplifiers?

(I do not mean to open up a can of worms about the definition of "natural musicality." I simply am repeating Barry's term in however he means it.)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I had Ayre MXR's for ~6 years. Just loved those amps. Replaced BAT VK 150SE's. First amps that got me away from tubes.

Then the MXR-20 came out. While "technically" better, seemed to loose that emotional connection I had with the MXR's. 5 different amp combo's when through my room...when the Nagra Classic came...it stayed...technically better and emotionally. And it was the cheapest...go figure. I'll get to hear a 2nd Classic and the Nagra HD amps soon. I'd add Nagra to your list...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry, do you believe the Vitus amps match the natural musicality which you like from tube amplifiers?

(I do not mean to open up a can of worms about the definition of "natural musicality." I simply am repeating Barry's term in however he means it.)

Hi Ron
Hope you are well.
I am no expert on tube amplifiers and I have no quarrel at all with those who prefer them to SS, but I prefer the convenience and generally more neutral sound of SS.Certainly in Class A in particular the Vitus amps do have tube like qualities and provide me with the balance of sound quality and convenience which I prefer along with outstanding build quality and aesthetics.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Ron
Hope you are well.
I am no expert on tube amplifiers and I have no quarrel at all with those who prefer them to SS, but I prefer the convenience and generally more neutral sound of SS.Certainly in Class A in particular the Vitus amps do have tube like qualities and provide me with the balance of sound quality and convenience which I prefer along with outstanding build quality and aesthetics.

+1 on Class A sound for my own personal preference, and I am a tube guy whose prior amp was a CJ mid-powered tube amp. I would not go back now for sure, but i felt i lost nothing when the original Gryphon Antileon arrived, and certainly have gained since the Colosseum arrived home.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Of the amps have compared Vitus and boulder are my.favorite. I have heard CH and Ayre in shows only so can't compare, though the vivid with CH at a show was sounding great.

The Vitus is full bodied and dense and a great tone, extremely liquid and flowing. The boulder is clean, fast, transparent, more power, and sounds very different from Vitus. If I select Boulder, it will be over Spectral, Gryphon, and Burmester, while Vitus will have a very different sound.

Boulder microdynamics and inflections in vocals were great. Ian for you it's easy to go to Manhattan and listen to Vitus at rsvinta's on Magico. Pick up one of his many Goldmund Apologues on the way back. He won't notice if one is missing, he has been selling so many

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ian for you it's easy to go to Manhattan and listen to Vitus at rsvinta's on Magico. Pick up one of his many Goldmund Apologues on the way back. He won't notice if one is missing, he has been selling so many

LOL! Yeah Bob has been BUSY! Great guy :D

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I am considering one of these amps to drive my woofers in an active multichannel setup. I want something clean, dynamic, and with extraordinary bass control. The rest of the audio spectrum doesn't really matter, since it will be crossed over to my valve amps :) Which amplifier does the collective wisdom of WBF think is best? Thus far I have been impressed with Boulder.

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016

I went from Nagra class A valves to solid state. With Vitus the over spec UI transformer has a lot to do with the valve like presentation. No replacement valves or biasing to worry about. With the SIA 025 you forget it's an integrated, you forget its only 25 watts in class A. It's just switch on and enjoy.

Reactions: Hobblecreek

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I went from Nagra class A valves to solid state. With Vitus the over spec UI transformer has a lot to do with the valve like presentation. No replacement valves or biasing to worry about. With the SIA 025 you forget it's an integrated, you forget its only 25 watts in class A. It's just switch on and enjoy.

+1
My experience too

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had Ayre MXR's for ~6 years. Just loved those amps. Replaced BAT VK 150SE's. First amps that got me away from tubes.

Then the MXR-20 came out. While "technically" better, seemed to loose that emotional connection I had with the MXR's. 5 different amp combo's when through my room...when the Nagra Classic came...it stayed...technically better and emotionally. And it was the cheapest...go figure. I'll get to hear a 2nd Classic and the Nagra HD amps soon. I'd add Nagra to your list...

+1
My experience too

Hey JFrech, if you are going to hear further Nagra amps, have you ever heard Vitus before? I continue to think of Andy Payor and his penchant for Gryphon, where perhaps Vitus is another stellar Class A amp.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey JFrech, if you are going to hear further Nagra amps, have you ever heard Vitus before? I continue to think of Andy Payor and his penchant for Gryphon, where perhaps Vitus is another stellar Class A amp.

My dealer has a Nagra Classic amp also, so likely before end of year I'll hear a 2nd Classic in my system (so strapped to mono-which is sometime good and sometimes bad). Also I'll get to hear the Nagra HD amps in my home soon (in about 6-8 weeks). Dealer also has a Classic preamp on order, so I'll hear a "full" Nagra system. I had a Nagra PLL before my Koda K10 (but with Ayre amps)...That Nagra PLL was hard to beat (I preferred it to a BAT Rex, Aesthetix Callisto, ARC something, and Ayre KXR-the Koda K10 beat em all)

The Nagra (non hd line) is pretty reasonable $$ wise considering what it stacks it against. It's really not a 10 in anything...but certainly a 9 in almost everything. Kinda like a Porsche 911. A Corvette beats it on power. A ferrari shifts faster, the Audi better grip... etc, etc, etc...but the the Porsche wins the lap time via a combo of good breaking, good handling, good engine and trans....

I am curious on amps right now. Wondering if a Gryphon is something I should listen too. I agree with the class A fans out there...

Reactions: Lee

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I am curious on amps right now. Wondering if a Gryphon is something I should listen too. I agree with the class A fans out there...

If you can, i would highly recommend it! ;)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If you can, i would highly recommend it! ;)

:) can you send me yours for a few weeks? I promise to mail a check soon :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing