Wire for subwoofer hook up

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Mark, what is your take on using a resistor in the signal path in order to use the line in on subs?

Usually it would be 2 resistors in the style of an L-Pad to sufficiently attenuate the higher Voltage signal. This is exactly what happens inside the amplifier after the speaker level connections. Doing this externally is not much different, although the manufacturer probably did a little more testing to see what sort of attenuation makes sense with their volume control, gain, and typical input levels. You also would prefer the attenuation done near the amplifier which is one of the benefits to the internal pad.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I didn't say it can't work, rather I explained the consequences of such a connection and why I recommend against it. "Completely wrong" might be a little stronger translation that I would have attributed, but I do shake my head when I see such connections when you have a preamplifier output available. It does have a convenient benefit that you typically eliminate possible ground loops, which can save the manufacturer many support calls, and you can give everyone the same, simple, connection/setup procedure.

I think you are much better off with the preamp connection in my experience, especially if your preamp is a dual mono design and has a good grounding scheme.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is from the REL manual: "The high-level, unbalanced, dual-channel (stereo) input is via a Neutrik® Speakon® connector which is connected to the power amplifier’s left and right channel speaker terminals. This has the advantage of ensuring that the REL receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers. This means that the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass. This is a very important point and together with the REL’s Ac ve Bass Controller (ABC) ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system."

I have connected my REL up both ways...from the preamp ( lo level) and from the high level( Neutrik Speakon and at amp terminals). IMHO, there is a clear advantage sonically to the above REL recommendation.Mark, YMMV.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
This is from the REL manual: "The high-level, unbalanced, dual-channel (stereo) input is via a Neutrik® Speakon® connector which is connected to the power amplifier’s left and right channel speaker terminals. This has the advantage of ensuring that the REL receives exactly the same signal as the main speakers. This means that the character of the bass from the main system is carried forward into the sub-bass. This is a very important point and together with the REL’s Ac ve Bass Controller (ABC) ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system."

I have connected my REL up both ways...from the preamp ( lo level) and from the high level( Neutrik Speakon and at amp terminals). IMHO, there is a clear advantage sonically to the above REL recommendation.Mark, YMMV.

DaveyF....Lloyd and I are comparing are Velodyne subs. Maybe the REL is designed to make the connection as recommended. I really don't have experience except with my own system. If it sounds better to you....stick with it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF....Lloyd and I are comparing are Velodyne subs. Maybe the REL is designed to make the connection as recommended. I really don't have experience except with my own system. If it sounds better to you....stick with it.

Roger, I thought that Mark was referring to the hook-up protocol in general. Velodyne subs are not designed with the same set up as REL's...no argument there, LOL.
:)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

I agree with REL and highly recommend that Genesis subwoofers and all my Genesis designs with an integrated powered woofer should take the signal from the power amplifier. One simple point of integration and coherence - if you change your power amplifier, then the sound at the loudspeaker should reflect the change in power amplifier - the entire loudspeaker which includes the powered bass. Otherwise, when you upgrade your power amplifier, or change from a tube amp to a solid-state amplifier, the sound of your woofers would not change and would not reflect the upgrade at the midrange/tweeters.

With the Genesis bookshelf loudspeakers, I even provide 'through-put' binding posts to tap signal off to drive the Genesis subwoofers.

Of course, other manufacturers would design their products different.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Well after me and my brother listened I switched it back to the preamp output . Too much of a loss of bass articulation. I guess there are trade offs,but it sounds wonderful. It would probably work better off the mono blocks,but maybe I'll try it later.

It's after midnight and I listened,I use to think it could get better....not anymore.

If you go with low-level preamp outputs, I suggest you use the exact same model of interconnect as you use elsewhere between components as this is perhaps your best chance to make the integration between the mains and subs as seamless as possible.

Just like garylkoh made mention of the very real differences between amps for the mains and amps for the subs, so too can different mfg'er / technology interconnects.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

If you go with low-level preamp outputs, I suggest you use the exact same model of interconnect as you use elsewhere between components as this is perhaps your best chance to make the integration between the mains and subs as seamless as possible.

Just like garylkoh made mention of the very real differences between amps for the mains and amps for the subs, so too can different mfg'er / technology interconnects.

Thanks, that would be expensive. I use double shield microphone cable which sounds very neutral.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing