How COULD upgraded Ethernet cables make a positive difference? What's behind it?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Sure, I agree totally & all my tests have been with self-powered USB DACs so I'm open to others experiences.

Happy Christmas, all!

I also finished my Low-Noise Linear Regulated PSU prototype this morning and it has now replaced the SMPS. Predictably for those in the know, I have a huge SQ bump from the mid-range to the bass regions, immense sense of space. Perhaps in the current implementation the higher ranges are less detailed or immediate than the SMPS. It still also sounds really, really good.

We were not expecting to hear Barbra Streisand's tongue lifting from her mouth in Memory. That was flabbergasting.

Merry Xmas!

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Here are two tracks played back into my ADC.

During playback I swapped out the cabling:

1. WireWorld Starlight CAT8 12 feet @ $330

2. 315 foot of generic CAT5e off the spool terminated by me @ $90

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/s...lAhoHhT3FF9cP0NKfr?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/s...ncoding=UTF8&mgh=1&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

The client playback machine is based on the ASRock QC5000-ITX with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSE, Intel CT Desktop Adapter NIC, Win8 ENT X64. DAC is the Emotiva DC-1. All captured into a studio/mastering grace ADC.

Switch is the Cisco SG 200-8 setup with dynamic LAG on the 7/8 ports.

Ping rates are identical for both and sub 1ms. Transfer rates (bypassing the switch) are both averaged at 107MB/s. Switch shows 0 errors for both cables on transfer of a 3.57 GB folder.

Be interested for anyone to figure out how many changes where made. I've publicly posted the times elsewhere for the instrumental track.

Last edited:

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
We were not expecting to hear Barbra Streisand's tongue lifting from her mouth in Memory. That was flabbergasting.

Merry Xmas!

Very prominent at the opening and got the track via Tidal. Giving it a go for 30 days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing