First listen to WAMM from TAS

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Where are the bass towers as promised , for that kinda $$ that wont be to much to ask

That, quite frankly, is the problem I have with these kinds of single cabinet speakers. As I have said a bazillion times, few, if any, rooms are such that the optimum place in the room for the bass is the same as for the remainder of the frequency spectrum. Mike L's speakers and anyone who uses separate bass sub-system is doing it the right way.

If I could easily afford it, for the above reason I would never consider it. The sales tax on this speaker (7% where I live --- or almost $50,000) would provide more than enough money to purchase an incredibly awesome speaker system that would, once installed properly, give me all I would ever need.

I am surprised that Wilson has never built a "dual cabinet system" as the ultimate of ultimates.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That, quite frankly, is the problem I have with these kinds of single cabinet speakers. As I have said a bazillion times, few, if any, rooms are such that the optimum place in the room for the bass is the same as for the remainder of the frequency spectrum. Mike L's speakers and anyone who uses separate bass sub-system is doing it the right way.

If I could easily afford it, for the above reason I would never consider it. The sales tax on this speaker (7% where I live --- or almost $50,000) would provide more than enough money to purchase an incredibly awesome speaker system that would, once installed properly, give me all I would ever need.

I am surprised that Wilson has never built a "dual cabinet system" as the ultimate of ultimates.

Maybe I'm wrong here,but the bass signal is corrected in the time domain. So a sub system or even multiple subs placed behind the main speakers are fine and deliver absolutely thunderous,clean articulate bass. The only thing that needs to be done is set the cutoff and volume level. At least that how it works in my system and the review confirms the performance level. This is a absolute game changer,it is no longer high end audio,it is way beyond that.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Has anyone here been to the Wilson room?

What are the dimensions? Is it a normal room in their home or designed for audio? If specific to audio, who designed it?

I've been in the room and it is his living room which is huge

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
$685K may be too little to ask for these. Since this is a limited production run, they should get more of these "orgasmic" reviews in, like Harley's, sell one to Fremer at a discount so it can be reviewed and displayed as part of his reference system, and then hold an auction.

Let's not forget what happened to Magico Pro: They only made 50 (+1 for Valin, as marketing expense), and sold out in a month @ $130K. I bet Wolf is kicking himself for not asking $150K for them, and investing those funds for more R&D.

There was a dealer with new M Pros for some time in SoCal - wasn't that difficult.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks, Steve. Do you happen to know if it has been modified in any way for audio or just a "natural" space that happens to work great?

Other than some sound traps I don't recall. When Ives there there was also a piano in the room.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Other than some sound traps I don't recall. When I was there there was also a piano in the room.

Actualy Steve no room treatment is required in my expirence as the time domain correction makes room treatment unnecessary. That is the main purpose of TDC or one of them.

P.S. on great recordings on the room seems to disappear.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
There was a dealer with new M Pros for some time in SoCal - wasn't that difficult.

Thanks, Keith. I didn't know. I wonder where those landed geographically...

This makes for a strong case of holding auctions to sell these highly desirable luxury items. Putting a price on them just creates an artificial ceiling that ends up shortchanging the company because for the one guy who took a long time to scrape up the sheckels, others would have gladly paid more...

I'm just guessing, but let's say hypothetically for the M Pro Wolf has buyers distributed as follows:

- 15 guys who would pay $175K (Q7 II wasn't out then and M Pro had newer technology than Q7 at that time)
- 10 guys who would pay, $160K,
-10 guys would pull together $150K
- 10 guys would pay $140K
- 5 guys who can scrape together $130K

If he were to run to run an auction, he would know exactly what that distribution is, and more importantly, he wouldn't be leaving any money on the table. (On the contrary, guys who participate in auctions overpay due to a phenomena known as the Winner's Curse). Seems to me like a much more wise way to do it.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Thanks, Steve. Do you happen to know if it has been modified in any way for audio or just a "natural" space that happens to work great?

"Dave 's Listening room: Although the Wilson factory has its ownlistening rooms, this audition took place in David Wilson’s home, in a largeroom measuring 40’L x 30’W. Polycylindrical diffusers are built into the backof room, with a small bass trap located behind each Thor’s Hammer subwoofer(which are close to the room’s left and right front corners). The peakedceiling runs the width of the room; the sidewalls are nonparallel -- the roomis 9" narrower at the front wall than at the rear wall. David Wilson describedthe room as "somewhat lossy, but fast in the bass" due to thegenerous number of windows and the attendant bass loss."
http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_200908_wilson.htm

caesar

May 30, 2010
"Dave 's Listening room: Although the Wilson factory has its ownlistening rooms, this audition took place in David Wilson’s home, in a largeroom measuring 40’L x 30’W. Polycylindrical diffusers are built into the backof room, with a small bass trap located behind each Thor’s Hammer subwoofer(which are close to the room’s left and right front corners). The peakedceiling runs the width of the room; the sidewalls are nonparallel -- the roomis 9" narrower at the front wall than at the rear wall. David Wilson describedthe room as "somewhat lossy, but fast in the bass" due to thegenerous number of windows and the attendant bass loss."
http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_200908_wilson.htm

Thank you, Mauidan!

PS. Please remind which Wilson speakers you own

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm surprised David Wilson let "worthless to the audio fan" Robert Harley into his home after the slammed the silk tweeter in Alexandria for the newer high-tech tweeter of Magico Q7. Personally, I would have told "worthless" Harley to stick that magico beryllium-diamond-graphene- nanotechnology tweeter up his a$$, and instead would have invited TAS's Heilbrunn and Cortesman, but I'm not the most politically correct guy there is. :) But I'm also not looking for an authority figure to bless my speaker and call it the BEST THERE IS.

Maybe David Wilson is a forgiving man. Yet he didn't invite "Sterile" Jon Valin to his home. And when it comes to writing, Valin is a GIANT, mostly B]walking among ants and cockroaches (there are some good guys still left!)...

Furthermore, I am not surprised that "worthless to the audio fan" Harley has not compared this speaker to the similarly priced magico horn which his buddy "Sterile" Jon has called the BEST SPEAKER IN THE WORLD. The magico, being a horn, probably sounds very differently than the mega Wilson, and the relative differences would be a help to fans choosing between the 2 of which sonic signature aligns with their preference.

After all, if "worthless to the audio fan" Harley really cared about the fans, he would have arranged a visit to the magico factory and compared the 2 using the same source materials to help fans make an informed decision...

But the unfortunate reality is we live in fukc the audio fan culture....

caesar

May 30, 2010

Audioguy, this is a business. Wilson can always upsell with additional 2,4,6, etc. Thor Hammer subs.

Why sell a couple of static subwoofer towers when one can spread the subs around the room and position them accordingly?

Magico horn speaker doesn't go very deep, but magico also sells individual subs...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

With the help of Jeff Fritz: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_200908_wilson.htm

Listening room: Although the Wilson factory has its own listening rooms, this audition took place in David Wilson’s home, in a large room measuring 40’L x 30’W. Polycylindrical diffusers are built into the back of room, with a small bass trap located behind each Thor’s Hammer subwoofer (which are close to the room’s left and right front corners). The peaked ceiling runs the width of the room; the sidewalls are nonparallel -- the room is 9" narrower at the front wall than at the rear wall. David Wilson described the room as "somewhat lossy, but fast in the bass" due to the generous number of windows and the attendant bass loss.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well its not that easy thors hammer is a 89 db specified passive ? subwoofer .
havent read the specs on the wamm but its probably near the XLF so at least 94 db , so 2 wont work as the bass efficiency wont match the wamm , you d have have to go at least 2 for each channel for a reasonable match up .
I personally would have expected a purposely matched basstowerdesign to leave no questions open, another problem is X over freq wamm to thor.
Thirdly there is something cool about bass firing high and low to the listener , the thor isnt small 1,5 m but still
Audioguy, this is a business. Wilson can always upsell with additional 2,4,6, etc. Thor Hammer subs.

Why sell a couple of static subwoofer towers when one can spread the subs around the room and position them accordingly?

Magico horn speaker doesn't go very deep, but magico also sells individual subs...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And off course you dont want to under or overload a certain room with air movement either , so there is a limit as to how much big a speaker(membrane surface ) will play well , all together makes getting correct realistic bass quite a problem to solve

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
With the help of Jeff Fritz: http://ultraaudio.com/twbas/twbas_200908_wilson.htm

Listening room: Although the Wilson factory has its own listening rooms, this audition took place in David Wilson’s home, in a large room measuring 40’L x 30’W. Polycylindrical diffusers are built into the back of room, with a small bass trap located behind each Thor’s Hammer subwoofer (which are close to the room’s left and right front corners). The peaked ceiling runs the width of the room; the sidewalls are nonparallel -- the room is 9" narrower at the front wall than at the rear wall. David Wilson described the room as "somewhat lossy, but fast in the bass" due to the generous number of windows and the attendant bass loss.

I posted this same info in post #29.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats funnny the best listening room i ve been to was a trapezium shaped room as well with the speakers placed along the shorter front wall , you get a kind of amphitheater idea.
It was at mijn hifi in nijmegen for the dutch readers , still breaks my heart its no longer a hifidealer and the isolated listening room is now used as furniture shop :eek:

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Its back

the embargo has been lifted

And Stereophile has an even longer review.......

Was fascinated Jason could tell the lack of colour was the furnishings and not the speaker having never heard it before.....impressive ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The initial reports certainly are very interesting -- and very positive and glowing.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing